• Which gun to get?

• Total voters

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    So here's the story, I will soon have around $500-900 of play money (depending on how long I want to wait) for a new gun. I have been thinking about a few things. Sorry if this is a long post but I have been researching and thinking alot about this. Here are the options.

1) Nice carry gun. More concealable than my Glock 19.- So the options for this category are
    -Glock 26: Great option due to similarity to my G19
    -Kahr CM9: Been looking at these alot on the internet. Very concealable yet still 9mm

2)1911. I am somewhat of a Glock guy but I am falling in love with the 1911's. They look cool and they are historic pieces of art, how can you not like that. (Yet I have never shot one)
    -Springfield Loaded Stainless: I fell in love with this 1911 when I first started researching these
    - Any other 1911 with skeleton trigger and combat hammer preferebly in stainless

3)Pocket .380 for ultra concealed carry and Monon/gym shorts carry
    -Kel tec p3AT
    -S&W BG .380
    -Ruger LCP
    (Never shot any of these .380's so I don't what I would be getting into with recoil and grip size)

These are the front runners for my next purchase. I CC some now but would like to more often. So I think the smaller pistol would help me in that effort. I know I can CC the G19 fairly easily even in the summer so maybe I would enjoy a nice 1911. I only have a few other handguns at this time (a couple revolvers from my late Grandpa) so my options are limited.

Also if anyone in the northern Indy area has any of these guns and wouldn't mind me bringing a box of ammo over to try them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the comments

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    So here's the story, I will soon have around $500-900 of play money (depending on how long I want to wait) for a new gun. I have been thinking about a few things. Sorry if this is a long post but I have been researching and thinking alot about this. Here are the options.

1) Nice carry gun. More concealable than my Glock 19.- So the options for this category are
    -Glock 26: Great option due to similarity to my G19
    -Kahr CM9: Been looking at these alot on the internet. Very concealable yet still 9mm

2)1911. I am somewhat of a Glock guy but I am falling in love with the 1911's. They look cool and they are historic pieces of art, how can you not like that. (Yet I have never shot one)
    -Springfield Loaded Stainless: I fell in love with this 1911 when I first started researching these
    - Any other 1911 with skeleton trigger and combat hammer preferebly in stainless

-Kel tec p3AT
    -S&W BG .380
    -Ruger LCP
    (Never shot any of these .380's so I don't what I would be getting into with recoil and grip size)

These are the front runners for my next purchase. I CC some now but would like to more often. So I think the smaller pistol would help me in that effort. I know I can CC the G19 fairly easily even in the summer so maybe I would enjoy a nice 1911. I only have a few other handguns at this time (a couple revolvers from my late Grandpa) so my options are limited.

Also if anyone in the northern Indy area has any of these guns and wouldn't mind me bringing a box of ammo over to try them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the comments

My two choices are the Kahr CM9 followed by the 1911.

I had a G26 and replaced it with a G19, which I found to be no less concealable than the G26. However, I also have a Kahr CM9* and that is way more concealable than my EDC (no longer my G19) and is also small enough and light enough to meet your criteria for option 3, plus is the same caliber as your G19.

* my review: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/154628-kahr_cm9_first_impressions.html?highlight=

I have never had a 1911 but have shot a bunch and plan to buy one. Well, actually I plan to build one, but that is the subject of another thread. Regardless, the Springfield Loaded is a fine gun and I am sure you would enjoy it.

Good luck!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted for the G26. Great carry gun and fun to shoot. You say you own a G19 so it takes the same ammo and you can use the G19 mags in the G26 if need. I satrted with a G23 and then purchased the G27 to go with it. Still have them both ad will never get rid of either!

My second vote would be a pocket pistol for deep concealment needs. My EDC is a G27 (same size as the G26) and I also carry a pocket pistol either as a BUG or on some occassions as my main gun when I need deep concealment or for convenience.

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Glock 26: Great option due to similarity to my G19 Great choice. I carry one. 100% reliable and eats anything.

- Any other 1911 with skeleton trigger and combat hammer preferebly in stainless Look at the Taurus 1911. Less expensive, but very reliable classic weapon.

-Kel tec p3AT
    -S&W BG .380
    -Ruger LCP

(Never shot any of these .380's so I don't what I would be getting into with recoil and grip size) Skip all three. I have personal experience with the Kel-Tec and the Ruger. The Ruger had FTF and FTE regularly over the first 500 rounds, so it was replaced with a Taurus TCP. The Kel-Tec trigger broke after 500 rounds and is now back at the shop. Neither was accurate at 10 yds; better at 7 yds, but not good; probably will work OK at "Stick it in his belly range," though. My conclusion. Avoid the pocket pistol size weapons. The smallest I will carry is the Taurus Slim line. Both the 9mm and the .40 have been 100% reliable right out of the box, and very accurate for me (I am only two years into learning to shoot, but I am much better with the Glock and Taurii than the pocket pistols.)

Thanks for the comments

The Taurus Slim line is very easy to CC. The Glock 26 is manageable for CC, but I like to switch to the smaller ones for the summer. Still, I have started carrying a Taurus 24/7 Pro this summer because I am more accurate with it. I appreciate the night sights on the Glock. Wish I could get night sites for the Taurii, but I have not found them anywhere yet. Happy hunting.

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure if one would be in the price range you specified, but being the 100th annaversary of the 1911, I personally would try to find a commorative model. If I wasn't unemployed at present, I'd be scraping up every cent I could to get one!

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I voted for the CM9. I have, and sometimes carry, a glock 19. I wanted something a little more concealable, in 9mm, to carry when the g19 was a little too big. I went with the CM9 and it has been flawless. I think you will definitely find yourself carrying more if you get the CM9. A CM9 in your pocket is better than a 1911 that you leave in your safe.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    A CM9 in your pocket is better than a 1911 that you leave in your safe.

Just because a 1911 is gorgeous, doesn't mean you have to hide it in a safe. A good 1911 will feel just as good as it looks, and sometimes even better.

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you like the look and function of a Glock, but want a pocket 380, I recommend the Diamondback DB380 and a Desantis pocket holster. Other than when I am at work, its always in my pocket.

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Just because a 1911 is gorgeous, doesn't mean you have to hide it in a safe. A good 1911 will feel just as good as it looks, and sometimes even better.
    I don't have anything against 1911s. The OP seems to want to carry more, and since he currently has a glock 19 a smaller gun would allow him to carry in places where he feels the g19 is too large.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Of your choices, I would go with the G26 first and a .380 second. If you waited and saved up your pennies, you could have both. I own both a G26 and Ruger LCP. I'll carry the G26 in colder months because I can conceal it easier, but for summer, the LCP is light and simply disappears into my pocket.

Have you considered a revolver at all. My current setup is a Ruger .357 LCR. I'm really falling in love with that gun. It's light, conceals very easily in my cargo shorts pocket, and packs a whale of a punch. Plus, you have the option of shooting .38 Special out of it. The .380 is for quick trips in and out, but for extended time away from home, that LCR is with me constantly.

One other thing, you can pick up an LCR or S&W J Frame for less than you can a G26. If you wanted to, you could have a revolver and nice little .380 for around $700 and still have some cabbage left over for ammo.

Top Bottom