• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Ok...thanks to everyone who helped me on the other thread I had. I had the chance to shoot the Kel-Tec P-32 today. I fed 50 rounds through a friends with no issues. Was accurate at 15 feet...pretty good as well out to 25.

It fit in my pocket so nice. I don't know much about the .32 acp vs. the .380.

So I am pondering either the P-32 or the P3AT. I like how the P-32 locked open on its last round as well as it fired flawless today. All I want is something easy to conceal and get a bad guy off me if need be long enough to get away.

Would the .32 acp be enough to get the job done? I wonder how much more the P3AT kicks. Anyone know if the reliability issues with the P3AT are any worse than P-32?

Would anyone throw the P11 9mm into the mix or would that kick like a mule in such a small package?

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I'd go .380 if either, why not a pf9? not too much bigger, but it does have a bit more kick.

If you want something to get the bad guy off you any of the above listed will at least **** him off, but a well placed .32 should have no problem right up close.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The PF9 has a smart recoil, but it's not that bad. Hard to be accurate though. You gotta shoot it enough to overcome the flinch. Well, at least I did... I'm no Jesse James :)

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I was in the same boat, and chose the P32. I haven't regretted that decision in the least, as the .380 isn't exactly a barn-burner. You'll get some jabs from the larger caliber guys, but to me there isn't enough difference to justify the sacrifices (controllability, reliability, and loss of hold open). Plus .32 now seems to be easier to find.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The wife has a P3AT that she likes. The PF9 isn't a bad little gun either.
    The Kel-Tec's are what they are. Carry a lot, shoot little. But for the price they do have a place. The only time your going to notice recoil is at the range/practice, if you should have to shoot in self defense the recoil will be the last thing on your mind.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    If you have a reliable Kel-Tec, that's great, but Kel-Tec has a duly-deserved reputation for malfunctioning. I recall one person saying his Kel-Tec was so bad he tried to use it as a pencil holder, but it wouldn't feed those, either. :)

I had three of them--two in .40 S&W and one in 9mm. All three malfunctioned repeatedly. All three went back to the factory--twice. They had new frames, new slides, new barrels, etc. The people at Kel-Tec were very nice and accomodating, but none of the three pistols worked properly....ever! When I got them back from being totally rebuilt the second time, I traded them on Glocks and am glad I did.

Again, if your Kel-Tecs are working well, great. Consider yourself blessed. If you start having malfunctions, however, I strongly suggest you change to more reliable brands, as 100% reliability is the single most important factor in a defensive firearm.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I have the the Kel-Tec P-32 and the Ruger LCP .380. Neither of them are "fun" to shoot. But both are fine for their intended propose. Size is so close between the two it's not really an issue.

I like the Ruger better.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    In order from smallest to largest:

P32
    P3AT
    PF-9 (single stack 9MM)
    P-11 (double stack 9 MM - looks like an upsized P3AT)

To answer your questions.....

If getting away is your primary concern a P-32 in .32 should be fine. However, keep in mind that in some situations, getting away might not be easy or even possible.

The P-11 would be a fairly big step up size-wise from the P32 or P3AT. The P-11 is closer in size to a Glock 26 and is on the border of what one can call a pocket gun.

The PF-9 is in the middle of the P3AT and P11 in terms of size and weight and if you were thinking about going up to a 9 MM, that would probably be your first option.

However, the p32 and P3AT are both really samll and our the most versatile as pocket guns- they short version is that they fit pockets in the largest variety of pants. My Glock 26 is a pocket gun....in a jacket or a baggy pair of cargo pants. Not suo much in dress pants.

Another factor to consider is ammo cost / availability. 9MM and .380 ammo is more widely available than .32 and usually a bit cheaper.

One of the other posters makes a good point that this sort of gun is a carry often / shoot a little sort of piece. In that case, felt recoil is not a huge deal.

So here is my personal opinion:

- if you need maximum concealability, go with a .380. A P3At or Ruger LCP.

- if a little bigger gun is OK and you want a bit more oomph, then a PF-9 in 9MM is a good choice.

Finally, here is what I would actually do:

I would get a PF-9 (I actually plan to do). I already have a Glock 26 as a carry gun, though I plan to eventually get a Glock 19. 90% of the time, when I am carrying, I can easily conceal a Glock 19 size hand gun.

For the times when I need something smaller or lighter, I can caryy the PF-9. The pirmary advantage is I can use the same ammo for both.and that saves me money.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If the PF9 isn't too big physically that would be and is my choice. Its not pleasant to shoot but not that bad either. I have found mine to be totally reliable. The biggest drawback is the recoil when its shot but you get used to it. Go PF9.

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    Oh man, my FFL guy just let me know that my PF-9 arrived. My plan is to wait until Saturday but you guys are making me anxious. I may need to call in sick tomorrow :naughty:.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    PF-9

I have a PF-9 and not had any issues. The first thing i did when I got it was feed some hollow point to see how it would do and had zero issues. Very light to carry.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry for the threadjack, but does anyone have a comparison pic of a PF-9 and a P3AT? Or PF-9 and LCP? (same size)

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I'm probably going to get "flamed" for saying this, but I've heard that the 380 is roughly twice a powerful as the 32. Not sure how accurate that is, just what I've heard. That info helped me choose the P3AT. I like the gun I've fire about 500 rounds so far with no reliability issues. ( I did have to find the right Hollow points for it though.)
    I've also had the the P11 and had no issues with it. (I couldn't get past the trigger pull though.)

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Sorry for the threadjack, but does anyone have a comparison pic of a PF-9 and a P3AT? Or PF-9 and LCP? (same size)

DSC00725.jpg

Bottom is a P3AT and the middle is a PF9 top is a whatever.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I'm really liking my pf-9, took it to the range today for lunch and i don't know if i'm just used to larger calibers or what but i don't think it has excessive snap. At 10 yrds, without a rest, i put 4 groups of 7 all around 2" with only one shot pulled off about 2". it's had about 20 HPs and another 300 or so RNs through it without a single hickup. it's a pocket full but very thin and the sights just seem right to me. You might try putting one in your pocket and compare to the others for "fit" before deciding on any of these.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm really liking my pf-9, took it to the range today for lunch and i don't know if i'm just used to larger calibers or what but i don't think it has excessive snap. At 10 yrds, without a rest, i put 4 groups of 7 all around 2" with only one shot pulled off about 2". it's had about 20 HPs and another 300 or so RNs through it without a single hickup. it's a pocket full but very thin and the sights just seem right to me. You might try putting one in your pocket and compare to the others for "fit" before deciding on any of these.

You sir are an excellent shot - my PF-9 groups are about 12 inches at that distance...

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Depending on how big your pocket you might consider the folding Sub 2000 in 9mm...it is a little big but if you fold the stock its a little easier to get in a large pocket! just kidding!

Top Bottom