• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I may have the opportunity to pick up an XD9 sub compact, which very much interests me as I'm looking for a good conceal carry gun right now. I've also looked at the Ruger SR9c, which I like for the most part aside from the magazine release safety (or whatever that stupid doohickey is called). Which should I choose and why?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I loved my XD9sc dearly, but it wasn't particularly easy to conceal when I needed to. It's a fat little bugger. If concealability is a prime requirement for you, I'd go with the Ruger. Besides, it feels even better in my hand than the XD did!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Here's my honest opinion on the XD9 subcompact - the barrel is a bit too short.

I don't know why they went with a 3" barrel on it (although I have my suspicions). There's no reason for a barrel that short on a handgun with the other dimensions as large as they are (ex. 26 oz, and with what amounts to a full grip - making it unsuitable for pocket carry in most pockets). Joe mentions it's not as easy to conceal as the 3" barrel might suggest. A short barrel alone doesn't a pocket pistol make, and ballistically speaking, you start to see significant differences in load performance will barrels less than 3.5".

I think a better choice (if you really want an XD) would be the XD compact (not sub) with the shorter grip and 4.04" barrel. Better ballistics, longer sight radius, and just as easy (if not easier due to a lower center of gravity) to CC IWB.

If you decide on the subcompact, just test your carry ammo to confirm it still performs as desired from the shorter barrel.

Of the two you mentioned, I'm with Joe, I'd go with the Ruger this time.

CC depends a lot on you though.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    CC depends a lot on you though.

Well I am about 5' 9" and 130 lbs., and I got a full size forty five (that I love, but it will be strictly an open carry/winter carry gun). After I got it I realized I needed something way smaller, especially for my frame. Also, what does glock make in the range of smaller pistols?

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I am your basically your size and I used to carry a Glock19. THe glock 19,23or 32 would be a decent carry size. They are just right IMO not too big and not too small. you see alot of them in the classifieds here.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    +1 on the Glock 19 or 23. Springfield XD9sc's are a long as they are deep as they are wide. Its like concealing a Rubic's Cube in two dimentions. They're gigantic with a full mag.

Go go Gadget Glock 23.

Just my :twocents:

I am your basically your size and I used to carry a Glock19. THe glock 19,23or 32 would be a decent carry size. They are just right IMO not too big and not too small. you see alot of them in the classifieds here.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    +1 on the Glock 19 or 23. Springfield XD9sc's are a long as they are deep as they are wide. Its like concealing a Rubic's Cube in two dimentions. They're gigantic with a full mag.

Go go Gadget Glock 23.

Just my :twocents:

If the XD9sc is too big, how the heck are the Glock 19 and 23 any better? Darn near the same size guns, including the fat 2x4 grips.

A single column 19.... that would be the cat's meow.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    like others have already said, go with the one that YOU like best and feels the best to you. They are both good choices.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If the XD9sc is too big, how the heck are the Glock 19 and 23 any better? Darn near the same size guns, including the fat 2x4 grips. . ..

Joe, that's an interesting question. For me, a similar comparison would be the G19 to the G30. The G30 is a hair shorter than the G19 in terms of length and height, but is 0.09" wider and approx. 3 oz heavier (empty, loaded it's a larger weight difference). Yet these two handguns have a significantly different carry feel to me. All loaded up, the G19 feels much lighter and narrower (even though it's only a .09" difference). Granted it's subjective.

So, I'm guessing it's mostly the extra weight of the XD that gives people this impression, since it's 5 oz. heavier than the G19. Other than that, size is very similar.

G19 --- 20.99 oz, 6.85" L x 5.00" H x 1.18" W, 4.02" bbl, 15+1
    G30 --- 23.99 oz, 6.77" L x 4.76" H x 1.27" W, 3.78" bbl, 10+1
    XD9sc - 26.00 oz, 6.25" L x 4.75" H x 1.13" W, 3.00" bbl, 13+1*

* height and capacity with compact mag. With the full size mag, the XD9SC is taller than a Glock 17.

Last edited:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Well I am about 5' 9" and 130 lbs., and I got a full size forty five (that I love, but it will be strictly an open carry/winter carry gun). After I got it I realized I needed something way smaller, especially for my frame. Also, what does glock make in the range of smaller pistols?

There are several double stack polymer frame subcompact guns, including Glock, Ruger, XD, S&W M&P, H&K, Beretta and other I have probably missed.

I used to carry a G26, but it was too big for a pocket and too small otherwise, so I got a G19. I am about your height, but about 48 punds heavier, so concealing a G19 is easy, even in shorts and a t-shirt.

However, one thing you said that stands out to me is your mention of having a full size .45 that you carry open or in the winter. This is important and I wish you had said what type of gun it is.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider buying a smaller version of your full size gun. It would be nice if they were the same caliber and could share magazines and the like, but the real advantage is having the same manual of arms for your two carry guns.

Under stress, your fine motor skills degrade and you revert back instinct and muscle memory. In that scenario pulling out you summer gun and subconsciously expecting it to shoot like your winter gun could end badly if the guns are very dissimilar.

Finally, I will add that how the gun fits in your hand, feels in a holster under a concealing garment, are always important. Other people can make reccomendations, but if you really know the process of selecting a handgun (and it is a process) then you will not need top rely on people's opinion as much.

But that is not a worry since there are no terribly biased fanboys on this forum right?

Anyway...Good luck!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    like others have already said, go with the one that YOU like best and feels the best to you. They are both good choices.

+1.

I bought an XD9 sub just in case I ever need to carry a pistol. Now that I've had it for a while, I'm kinda wishing I'd have gone with a smaller, slimmer, single stack type 9mm that I could slip in my pocket. The XD9 sub isn't a bad gun by any means, but it's a little bulky & heavy.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    +1.

I bought an XD9 sub just in case I ever need to carry a pistol. Now that I've had it for a while, I'm kinda wishing I'd have gone with a smaller, slimmer, single stack type 9mm that I could slip in my pocket. The XD9 sub isn't a bad gun by any means, but it's a little bulky & heavy.

This reminds me of a point I left out. If I had money to spend and wanted a simple and easily concealable handgun for summer carry, I would take a long hard look at a Kahr - you can get a P9 for about $680 and a CW9 for right at $500.

However, my previous point about having a summer gun that is similar to a winter gun still stands.

I will also say that the Kahr PM9 is one of my dream guns. Though, I will likely end up with a Kel-Tec PF-9. I'm frugal.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    There are several double stack polymer frame subcompact guns, including Glock, Ruger, XD, S&W M&P, H&K, Beretta and other I have probably missed.

I used to carry a G26, but it was too big for a pocket and too small otherwise, so I got a G19. I am about your height, but about 48 punds heavier, so concealing a G19 is easy, even in shorts and a t-shirt.

However, one thing you said that stands out to me is your mention of having a full size .45 that you carry open or in the winter. This is important and I wish you had said what type of gun it is.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider buying a smaller version of your full size gun. It would be nice if they were the same caliber and could share magazines and the like, but the real advantage is having the same manual of arms for your two carry guns.

Under stress, your fine motor skills degrade and you revert back instinct and muscle memory. In that scenario pulling out you summer gun and subconsciously expecting it to shoot like your winter gun could end badly if the guns are very dissimilar.

Finally, I will add that how the gun fits in your hand, feels in a holster under a concealing garment, are always important. Other people can make reccomendations, but if you really know the process of selecting a handgun (and it is a process) then you will not need top rely on people's opinion as much.

But that is not a worry since there are no terribly biased fanboys on this forum right?

Anyway...Good luck!

I have a Taurus 24/7. And thanks for the advice, this is probably the best I have heard. I'll definitely look around for a more compact version.

Top Bottom