• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    I was wondering what your opinions were on a tanto style blade vs a drop point. This knife will be carried in my pocket daily and used for general tasks. Been looking at CRKT folders and really like them.

Basically I have always used a drop point or similar style blade and was wondering what you guys thought of the tanto style.

Thanks!!!

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    tanto points are much stonger in the tip than a regular drop point,if doing a lot of poking,sticking and prying get the tanto.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The tanto blade is designed to give it two important qualities: strength and a sharp point. The point is thin enough to puncture or stab but it has the thickness to withstand the toughest use. Because it is hollow ground the spine narrows down to a very thin cutting edge.
    Given its unusual shape, sharpening can be tricky and is best left to the experienced sharpener (tyler34). The long straight cutting edge requires a different angle than the smaller part of the blade that curves up. The junction of the two angles is where it gets really tricky. If you use the straight cutting edge angle on the upward curve angle you will ruin the edge. So unless you are confident of your skills it would be best to let a professional (tyler34) sharpen your knife. :twocents:

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I'd say for day-to-day use, the drop-point is more useful overall. If you regularly need to punch holes in things with it, then the tanto blade might be more to your liking. Which models are you looking at?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I am looking at the M16 line of CRKT knives and it appears its "spear" style of blade and the tanto
    Folding Knife - M16-01KZ - CRKT
    M16-10KZ Pocket Knives - CRKT

There is also the M21 style (below) which might be better. Any input between the two and on the spear point??
    Folding Knives - M21 G10 Series - CRKT

Thanks

It's really hard to beat the CRKT M16 & M21 models for the money. With several dozen different models to choose from in the M16 & M21 line, your bound to find a model that fits your needs.

I can tell you this: I have sent more M16 & M21 knives over seas than all the other manufactures combined...so apparently the military men & women like them. :twocents:

Note: I have a special deal right now on the M16-01Z models (spear point with standard edge).... $22.00 each.
    CRM16-01Z.jpg

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    That CRKT that Brad posted looks like a great deal.

I am like the OP. I love the look of the Tanto blade. I replaced a SOG Trident Tanto as my every day carry with a Ka-Bar K2 Tanto about 12 months ago.

For under $20, I don't think there's a better knife for me as my EDC. I know there's a lot of great high end stuff out there and I'm not competing with those, just for me, I love this K2.

I've heard nothing bad about CRKT, but I just like the Tanto looks. Also, now that I know I can run it through the hood of a car or door if I need to, I might just find the opportunity...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom