• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm looking at purchasing my first .22 rifle and I've been looking at the options out there. In particular, I've been looking at the Ruger 10/22, Remington 597 and the Marlin Savage Mark II. My intent is to use the rifle mostly at the range so accuracy is a priority. It sounds as if all of them are picky about mags and ammo. I would also like to not have to go through several magazines before finding the right combo. I'm leaning towards the 10/22 because of all the after market options available if I ever decide to upgrade any components. I've read online that the 597 feels more solid and better built than the others, but I've also read that it was the worst gun one guy has ever owned. Any thoughts or personal experiences with any of these rifles you care to share?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The 10/22, and the Savage Mark II would be good ones, I avoid modern Remington because of my experiences with them not being very accurate, or durable.

Also consider the Marlin XT22...specifically the XT22SR in stainless. I think this would be a good Appleseed rifle as well.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    If precise accuracy is a MUST (i.e. your gong to compete), you will not end up with any stock .22LR rifle. Instead you'll be spending $$$ on some competition parts and building it from the ground up.

With that being said, many of the custom 22's that are out there are indeed built on the 10/22 foundation.

Now, if you're not going to compete with it but instead just want a GREAT 22 to take out to the range and poke some holes in paper (with good accuracy) and the ability to make it your own (with more customizations than one could ever really think about), the 10/22 is the way you want to go.

The other GREAT thing about the 10/22 is that you can have as many as you can afford and none of them have to look anything like one another.

About the only reason I wouldn't go with a 10/22 is if you're looking for a lever action 22.

Here are pictures of two of mine (one customized and one stock - albeit custom stock)

5568_1165575492597_5746386_n.jpg

boy%20scout%20rifle%20001.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you want a semi-auto, I think you should look at the Marlin 795. It is arguably the most accurate rifle in your list, and it is by far the least expensive. If you want a bolt gun and have a few extra dollars, look to the CZ line for some good choices. If you've got deep pockets, maybe an Anschutz. But for your first .22, the Marlin 795 is awfully hard to beat.

On the other hand, if you plan on replacing the barrel, stock, trigger, hammer and pretty much everything else but the receiver of your .22 to make it into "your" custom rifle, then probably the Ruger 10/22 is your best choice.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Ruger 10/22 hands down. It was my first then sold it and had others like the Henry golden boy and went back to the 10/22. It shoots fast without any problems what so ever and super accurate. I now own a bull barreled target model and my wife shoots a regular stainless with Hogue stock both scoped. The after market is unbeleivable for these rifles.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Marlin's are the most accurate out of the box to shoot. Let me say this was Pre 1990s and the Marlin model 60 can be had for 100-150 range all day long.
    The MicroGroove makes them accurate and they will eat anything you put through them.

Don't get me wrong the stuffer 10-22 is a nice gun and I own one but if I had to put my bullseye on it would be with my marlin. My 39a is my most accurate 22 I own followed by the mod 60 then the list goes from there.

Let me finish by saying. Squirrel hunting happens with a Marlin! For a reason.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    My first was a Marlin 60 and it was great. I also bought my son a marlin 60 as his first rifle. As others said, the 10/22 is likely your best option though, because even if it isn't your first you will most likely wind up with one at some point. I avoided them like the plague for a LOOOONG time simply due to the fact that I go out of my way to not be like everyone else. Turns out I was missing out all along. The avail. of parts both stock and competition grade as well as mods is by far the best out there. I've had no issues with either of my 10/22s being picky about ammo, my only problem is finding quality mags that hold up. I would also suggest finding an older used one with the metal carrier for the trigger group as the new ones are plastic. Just my opinion. A good place for resources and info about .22s would be rimfire central.

ETA XDLover beat me to it;) My mdl 60 was mid '80s and I paid $89 for it at Kmart. Just don't buy remington ammo for ANY .22. All their .22 ammo is just plain garbage and their "golden bullet" will screw up any gun you put it in. Back in the day when they came in "milk cartons" they were okay, but things have changed....

indyjake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks folks, this is great info. Any of you with a 10/22 have any issues with reliability or feeding issues with the Ruger 25 round mags? How about ammo? Does it prefer one type over another? Sounds like I'll stay away from the Remington ammo.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Thanks folks, this is great info. Any of you with a 10/22 have any issues with reliability or feeding issues with the Ruger 25 round mags? How about ammo? Does it prefer one type over another? Sounds like I'll stay away from the Remington ammo.
    Ruger mags are about the only good mags I've been able to find for the 10/22. Only problem there is the price.....

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.

if you are going to replace the barrel for an accurate shooter, the match chamber makes them more picky for quality ammo.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm looking at purchasing my first .22 rifle and I've been looking at the options out there. In particular, I've been looking at the Ruger 10/22, Remington 597 and the Marlin Savage Mark II. My intent is to use the rifle mostly at the range so accuracy is a priority. It sounds as if all of them are picky about mags and ammo. I would also like to not have to go through several magazines before finding the right combo. I'm leaning towards the 10/22 because of all the after market options available if I ever decide to upgrade any components. I've read online that the 597 feels more solid and better built than the others, but I've also read that it was the worst gun one guy has ever owned. Any thoughts or personal experiences with any of these rifles you care to share?

The 597 I owned made the 10/22 I owned look like a toy made in China. I would look at the 15-22. They are reliable as hell and very accurate. May not be a lot of aftermarket parts, but they are good to go out of the box.

Marlin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    North Liberty
    If you want a semi-auto, I think you should look at the Marlin 795. It is arguably the most accurate rifle in your list, and it is by far the least expensive. If you want a bolt gun and have a few extra dollars, look to the CZ line for some good choices. If you've got deep pockets, maybe an Anschutz. But for your first .22, the Marlin 795 is awfully hard to beat.

On the other hand, if you plan on replacing the barrel, stock, trigger, hammer and pretty much everything else but the receiver of your .22 to make it into "your" custom rifle, then probably the Ruger 10/22 is your best choice.

I agree with the above comment. The Marlin is inexpensive, reliable, accurate and lot of fun to shoot. Just not a lot of aftermarket parts.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    10/22 is overrated

get a Marlin60, M&P15-22, Savage MK II or a CZ

Agreed. The MP will be more fun, the 60/795 has a much better trigger and is half the cost, and the stock bolt guns will compete with a done-up 10/22, save the rate of fire.

My 10/22 is stock, and I hate it.

Top Bottom