• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    So what happens if you run a gun through your local pd (munster) and it comes back clear, but it happens to be reported stolen in gary and you get caught there, then what? Do I have to call all the local pd's to verify this?

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    So what happens if you run a gun through your local pd (munster) and it comes back clear, but it happens to be reported stolen in gary and you get caught there, then what? Do I have to call all the local pd's to verify this?

When the police departments check it, they run it through IDACS and NCIC, which is nation wide so this shouldnt happen.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    A few years ago a fellow officer had a friend visit from Ohio. He bought a 1911 from the guy. Decided to check the status on it. Found that it had been stolen. He wasted no time in contacting said friend, who actually had no idea it was hot, and got his money back. The friend went back to Ohio a little lighter than when he arrived.

TSC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    INDY
    UNSOLICTED 2 CENTS
    I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS LEGAL TO BUY A SHORT GUN FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN A RESIDENT OF INDIANA, UNLESS YOU HAVE A DEALER'S LICENSE.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I had six pistols stolen from me in 2006. One was recovered in PA. The officer on the case in PA got my info from the ATF. My local Sheriff Dpt. did not list my guns as stolen. Pa ripped me a new one for supplying a Felon with a pistol. They were much nicer after they talked to the local Sheriff. Due to the requirements of Pa I will never be reunited with my CZ 75. How many guns are bought and sold that are hot and not listed as such? Kinda makes you wonder where the other ones ended up.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Without the complete information the firearm cannot be entered into NCIS and as someone else stated all information must be correct and entered into the system correctly. Serial numbers alone do not determine if a firearm has been used in a crime. Ballistics must be matched to specific crimes with specific physical evidence, it's not like TV.

Are you talking about a NICS background check?

shootnstuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Not all LEO's are NCIC qualified. Only law enforcement can run ser# and they are required to have the firearm in their posseison when the do it so if it comes up on the hit list they can take possesion of same.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    I have an old school buddy who is an leo. He runs numbers for me. nbd. I use him on dirtbikes also. His advice was if you buy that item before you run it and it comes back stolen, it's now your stolen property and your problem. I think any pd would oblige a request to run any serial nos.

Top Bottom