• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    If its stolen you wont get it back. It would be nice to have a way to check on the internet so you could check them out. It might even persuade a no good rotten slime bag to NOT steal a gun because he would know that whoever he sold it to could check it. One good way to avoid getting a hot gun is to know who you got it from. I dont think many stolen guns knowingly get sold on a website like this either for the simple fact they can be traced back to that person. To answer your question....have an officer run the number.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    NCIC stolen check requires Make, Model, and serial number of the firearm. If any of those is off only one digit, it will come back as not on file. Officers make mistakes when running guns through NCIS because they don't know everything about every model and make of gun. (That is my experience) Have someone in your PD records bureau run the gun, they are usually more likely to get it right.

A lot of people worry about buying used guns from individuals because they fear that it might be stolen. It is a valid fear, and it is wise to be cautious but... stolen guns rarely see the light of day in legitimate transactions. They are passed around to people that most members of this forum never have contact with. They are traded for small amounts of cash, drugs, alcohol, women, rent, favors, payoffs, and other reasons normal people are not exposed to.

In my experience, stolen guns rarely, if ever, return to lawful commerce. They get picked up from perps by LEO'S and get put into evidence.

And it is because they have serial numbers that cannot be altered. The person trying to sell a gun he knows is stolen is at great risk.

You can have your PD run any used gun that you have purchased but, if it has been reported stolen, you won't get it back. To protect yourself, have at least basic info on the seller. Look the seller in the eye and trust your gut.

I wouldn't worry about any gun purchased from a FFL. Dealers are not stupid and won't take in any questionable firearm. That is a fact. (in my experience)

Last edited:

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We have people call into our dispatch every now and then asking us if we can check to see if a gun is stolen or not. Dispatch usually takes the information and asks an officer if they can check it. The person is then called back. Probably differs from one department to another though.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    I doubt most dealers would let you do that BEFORE you bought it. In fact, its probably illegal.

Could an officer be dispatched to undertake such a task? Have any LEOs here ever done that?

This is true but he really didn't specify that it was still in a dealers possession. I could see wanting to check one out if you had just done a ftf with a person that made you a little unsure...

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I just call my son-in-law or ex son-in-law [both leos] if I have suspicions. I also get names, addresses, phone numbers, reciepts, etc. with private sales, unless I know the seller. This way I do have a paper trail started in case something comes up at a later date.

I do this before the cash changes hands. It's called CYA!

Last edited:

Engine03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Indy
    Yes you can call your local police dept or asl a leo that you know. I agree with all transactions it is a vey good idea to get a sales receipt with the buyers and seller information. This covers the buyer if the gun was stolen, used in a crime ect... and also covers the seller if the gun is used in a future crime.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    That's the only bad part about purchasing firearms from someone who doesn't have an FFL.. you run the risk of buying a stolen firearm.

Buying a used firearm from an FFL does not guarantee that it isn't stolen nor does a Bill of Sale. Guns are reported stolen and many owners do not have the serial number for the firearm. Without the complete information the firearm cannot be entered into NCIS and as someone else stated all information must be correct and entered into the system correctly. Serial numbers alone do not determine if a firearm has been used in a crime. Ballistics must be matched to specific crimes with specific physical evidence, it's not like TV.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    My question is whether or not you could be charged with receiving stolen goods? SInce this is a crime involving a firearm, couldn't your LTC be revoked by the ISP as well?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    IC 35-43-4-2
    Theft; receiving stolen property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft, a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class C felony if the fair market value of the property is at least one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally receives, retains, or disposes of the property of another person that has been the subject of theft commits receiving stolen property, a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class C felony if the fair market value of the property is at least one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).

Top Bottom