Where to get night sights installed on an XDm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    Hey,

I'm looking for somewhere in the Northern half of Indiana that can install night sights on an XDm. I can't send it out somewhere because I can't be without my gun for a couple of weeks. The sights on standard XD's are the same as XDm's, so anyone who can do one should be able to do the other. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    Thanks, 451. I'll give them a call!

And as far as a brass punch goes, any XD owner who has attempted their own sights with a punch will tell you that it's a big mistake. For some reason, XD sights are much worse than most other guns, and you usually end up with a messed up slide and broken sights.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks, 451. I'll give them a call!

And as far as a brass punch goes, any XD owner who has attempted their own sights with a punch will tell you that it's a big mistake. For some reason, XD sights are much worse than most other guns, and you usually end up with a messed up slide and broken sights.

I destoryed a set of brass punches installing mepros on my XD-9. I had to use the biggest steel punch I could and place it on the floor, pinning it down with my foot and pounding it relentlessly with a hammer until the factory front site finally moved. The rear site wasn't as difficult and it was pretty painless putting the mepros in after that. I love mepros and 4+ years later they are still going strong as day one.

SA charges $110ish for installation of factory trijicons or henies. Took about 10 days (including weekends) to get my XDm back w/ the factory trijicons.

I figured $110 was well worth having it done right and getting a full no nonsense warranty thru SA.

FWIW a week after I got it back the front post died on me and SA paid for 2nd days air both ways to get it replaced.

Also just as an aside, I can't imagine not having a back up primary handgun. You should work on that asap.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    I really wish I could afford to have a decent backup. But unfortunately, it's just not in the cards right now.

When I bought my XDm, I searched everywhere for one with factory night sights, but couldn't find one. I think they were just too new at the time. I've wanted to get some installed, and had planned on it, but in a trade, I took in a brand new set of Truglo TFO's. So now I need to find somewhere to have them put on! I'm contemplating buying a sight pusher to do my gun and my girlfriend's XD, and then selling it off, but I don't know yet.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Whats with it taking weeks to get night sights installed? took 15 minutes to have mine done? dont meant to thread jack just curious.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    If it's sent out. Every company I've checked with (SA, XDguys, Springer) it's like a three week lead time from the time you send it out. That's why I'm looking for somewhere local, so I can be in and out in 15 minutes, instead of weeks.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    Just in case anyone is interested, I got my night sights done today at Farr & Sons in Niles, MI. They did a very good job, and had it done an hour after I dropped it off. I would definitely recommend them!

Top Bottom