• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I'm looking to buy just plain old wheat. Im not picky on red, spring, hard, whatever...I just want a place to find some.

I want to be able to use the same product to:

A) Eat. Sprout it or grind into flour. So, no additives.
    B) Feed to livestock/chickens.
    C) Use as seed to grow more wheat.

Ive contacted feed/seed stores, and nobody that Ive talked to can help me find one product. If its feed, it has additives. Whole foods has organic wheat, but its prohibitively expensive. Grain mills wont deal with the small order that I want. (Just 25-50 lbs to start)

If anyone knows where I might find what I am looking for, please post it here. I live near indy but am more than willing to travel a bit.

Thanks!

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Please let me know if you find a good resource, I've been on the same quest for some time now. The 7 day advantest Church at the boys School in Cicero sells it at their book/food store. I bought a 5 pound bag for I think 5-7 dollars. They said I could order a 25 pound bag for I think 50. I ran into the same problem, no one sells the 50 pound bags for cheap, only if you buy in bulk. If you have any luck, please pass it on. I grew my own sprouts from the 5 pound bag (tasted awesome). My grinder is on order and I look forward to grinding some up for home made bread as well.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Probably too far for you but in case you like to drive :D
    Bonneyville Mill up between Bristol in Middlebury will sell grain either whole or stone ground. I buy the winter rye to plant in the garden as a cover crop. They have different wheats, rye, buckwheat.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    wheat

find a local elevator such as a farm bureau co-op. look in the yellow pages for feed and supplies. should be able to buy wheat farmers just harvested.will grow just fine. can also buy new seed in 50# bags

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    We buy 100lbs each year at the home-school convention downtown Indy. The country baker I think is the name. My wife calls her up about a month before the convention and we pick it up while we're there. If i can find the web address or phone number I'll add it to this post later.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    My wife just calls Denise at The Country Baker (The Country Baker) and like I said, they have a booth at the homeschool convention (typically early March each year) and we just pick it up there. The wheat comes in 50# bags but we store it in 5 gal food grade buckets that we purchase at walmart. If you're not going to use it right away be sure to freeze it to ensure that you don't get bugs in it.

Enjoy!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My wife likes Montana Wheat. or maybe its Wheat Montana. There's also an amish stor in Nothern Indiana - I'll try to find the name.

How much are you looking for?

Last edited:

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Ive lived in Indiana my entire life (aside from my stint in the Navy) and all I ever see while I drive around is corn and beans, beans and corn. Sure, maybe some roadside stand has some other veggies, but I've never seen a wheat field.

Ive been to the Hamilton Co. Co-op on three different occasions trying to get some answers, and its been closed every time I've driven by.

I'm all for trying to find it local, but it hasnt been possible. So, thanks for the input, but I've barked up that tree already.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    That's good to know, looks like I've done similar, cannot seem to find any. I will try the lady that was provided earlier but didn't want to wait till next march to pick it up and to be honest don't want to pay a bunch for shipping. didn't think wheat would be that hard to get my hands on but I'll keep searching. Truth be known, it's right around the corner someplace.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    For the money, $26 for 33 pounds in #10 cans doesn't sound that bad.

Product Details ( Family Home Storage Wheat ) to 'Home Storage'&retURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ldscatalog.com%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FCategoryDisplay%3FcatalogId%3D10151%26amp%3BstoreId%3D10151%26amp%3BcategoryId%3D10002%26amp%3BlangId%3D-1%26amp%3Bcg1%3D14087%26amp%3Bcg2%3D%26amp%3Bcg3%3D%26amp%3Bcg4%3D%26amp%3Bcg5%3D%26pageId%3D1%26pageCt%3D15%26sortId%3D1%26sortOr%3D1

Or get a few fellows on here together to come up with a 200 pound order of Superpails.

Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ive lived in Indiana my entire life (aside from my stint in the Navy) and all I ever see while I drive around is corn and beans, beans and corn. Sure, maybe some roadside stand has some other veggies, but I've never seen a wheat field.

Ive been to the Hamilton Co. Co-op on three different occasions trying to get some answers, and its been closed every time I've driven by.

I'm all for trying to find it local, but it hasnt been possible. So, thanks for the input, but I've barked up that tree already.

Open your eyes then!

Central Indiana produces several tens of thousands of Bushels of wheat every year. The most common wheat grown here is winter wheat. The current crop of wheat was harvested in the June-July time frame with most farmers selling in directly to the elevators. You might luck out and locate a farmer who still has some on hand (would not count on that though). You can buy wheat generally at any Elevator, Feed Mill, or Farm Supply store.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Open your eyes then!
    You can buy wheat generally at any Elevator, Feed Mill, or Farm Supply store.

WHICH FREAKIN' ELEVATORS AND FEED STORES?!?!?!

Ive been calling all the elevators in the phone books. They WILL NOT sell to me!!! They only deal with truck loads. The Farm Supply stores sell wheat with additives for livestock consumption...NOT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!

These vague answers, while I'm sure you mean well, are not helpful. I did not just start this quest this weekend. I've been looking for weeks, and cant find it. If you have a specific location, dealer, store, whatever, pass it along.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I understand your pain, I've been in the elevators and places as well and they look at you like your crazy if you want one bag. I appreciate the online resources sent and have just placed an order for some #10 cans which I think will be at a great price if it works out. But specifically. If anyone knows of a SPECIFIC place in or around Hamilton county where you can walk in and buy a 50 pound bag of wheat for a reasonable price, I think that's what we are looking for. Thanks to all for the suggestions but we are looking for specifics for now. Any leads let us know.

Last edited:

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WHICH FREAKIN' ELEVATORS AND FEED STORES?!?!?!

Ive been calling all the elevators in the phone books. They WILL NOT sell to me!!! They only deal with truck loads. The Farm Supply stores sell wheat with additives for livestock consumption...NOT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!

These vague answers, while I'm sure you mean well, are not helpful. I did not just start this quest this weekend. I've been looking for weeks, and cant find it. If you have a specific location, dealer, store, whatever, pass it along.

I will throw you a couple since you are local and see if that helps. My first guess would be the hortonville elevator, in hortonville just north of westfield. Second guess would be the elevator in sheridan, and third would be law elevator in ekin(tipton/hamilton line). You could try waitt elevator in westfield, just off 32 kinda behind the shell at 32 and 31.

Try those, and I will ask someone who might have other ideas tomorrow.

Top Bottom