• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Sounds like you're watching too much "Barter Kings" on A & E network.
    Great story though. There are a couple of people on here always trying to "trade up".

A lot of my friends tell me i should be on that show. I do a lot of trading and almost always make money.

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I feel that show is staged also. I typically buy something that needs work and then trade or sell it after I fix it up. I get a lot of motorcycles, quads ect where a carb cleaning does wonders.

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    The earliest NM barrels were standard barrels that were measured for straightness and bore diameter. A very high percentage of qualifying barrels were LMR standard combat barrels. We are talking a time period circa 1955 thru 1958.

By 1958/59 the NM barrel was on the drawing board and all were produced by SA. These times lines are estimates and may be subject to correction.

That is how good the LMR barrels were.

This was copied from another source.

When I get home today I can copy and post or email you the correct parts that should have been on the gun when it left IHC. It is possible it was re barreled later with a NM barrel.

I have 2 IHC M1 Garands. I am always looking for others.

Glen

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    The earliest NM barrels were standard barrels that were measured for straightness and bore diameter. A very high percentage of qualifying barrels were LMR standard combat barrels. We are talking a time period circa 1955 thru 1958.

By 1958/59 the NM barrel was on the drawing board and all were produced by SA. These times lines are estimates and may be subject to correction.

That is how good the LMR barrels were.

This was copied from another source.

When I get home today I can copy and post or email you the correct parts that should have been on the gun when it left IHC. It is possible it was re barreled later with a NM barrel.

I have 2 IHC M1 Garands. I am always looking for others.

Glen

Thanks, I am going to take it apart tonight and take pictures of everything that I can.

I am kind of on the fence as to if I am going to keep it or not. I am not much of a collector. The guns I have usually have to earn their keep by being my carry peice or deer hunting ones. I don't want to screw up a good peice of history when it might mean much more to another person.

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    Here the info on a IHC with close serial numbers.
    This is from Scott Duff's M1 Garand serial numbers book

IMG_0809_zps0d94296a.jpg

This is basically what your rifle's parts were when they left IHC factory.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I need to get a photo bucket account. I'm not smart enough to post them from my google account.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Until then, here are my M1's.

Top to bottom:

IHC
    HRA
    '44 WRA (mostly winchester parts, other parts are Springfield Wartime)
    '43 Springfield (all wartime parts)

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

I shot the HRA in the National Match at Camp Perry last year. What a great experience!

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lets see if this works

2013-03-17_14-57-32_909_zps5db16bd3.jpg.html

Sorry...did not work. Photo bucket is blocked at work and using my Android sucks. I will figure it out.

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who posted here trying to help me, and also to the guys who sent me PM's with guidance and info.

Thanks!
    Tim

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I am starting to lean toward selling it. My wife and I talked a while this morning. She reminded me that one of our goals this year was to sell our Sportster and get a larger bagger style Harley. She rides with me when I support the Patriot Guard and feels that we can do more with a bigger bike.

I don't have 50 posts yet, so I will not be listing it here.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Tim

Top Bottom