• Status
    Not open for further replies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Fairly boring weekend (especially compared to TaunTaun). A few trips to Lowes in Brownsburg, dressed fairly grubby (shorts and t-shirt, for working in the garden). No comments at all, and I chatted with several employees while looking for what I needed. It was BUSY, too.

@TaunTaun - I just can't fathom the logic of some folks. I hope you and your Church work it out.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    As a minister...

Ever since we switched churches due to some drama, my wife and I have carried weapons to our new church. She has hers concealed in a purse, and I Open Carry on my hip. Sometimes at 3 o'clock, sometimes at 4 or 5, depending on my mood and what pants I decide to wear. (Beltloops sometimes determine this. Gives me something else to watch out for when buying pants.). Normally, I have a jacket or a suit on, so my sidearm is partially covered and out of sight. Friends and family know I carry, and they know I keep it with me just about everywhere.

Since yesterday was such a nice day, I went without a jacket, so my gun was their in very evident display. We arrive at church and get out of the car. We light up a cigarette to smoke before going inside. As we're standing out in the parking lot, one of our friends comes rushing out. He sees us and acts like he just about had a heart attack. He then calmly walks over to us and informs that they had just gotten a MWAG message and that they needed to check it out ASAP.

Aside from not calling the police if they were REALLY worried about it, I wondered about the intelligence of running out into the middle of a parking lot when you suspect a mad gunman standing there, but I just smiled and responded, "Nope, just us. It's in it's holster."

Our friend then calmly explained that several people voiced concern over seeing a firearm and having it visible to children at church. I questioned the ethics and morality of practicing religion (1st amendment) while saying bearing arms (2nd obviously) isn't allowed. I then asked if we were going to be illegally searched when we entered, and the response was, "No, of course not!"

After our friend fully understood that we had been carrying at the church for quite awhile now, and that since we had yet to turn into rabid wolves shooting up the flock, and that we had valid liscences, that we were legally okay. The response was, "Well, the church doesn't know you as well as I know you."

I then asked if the wife was going to have to disarm as well. Once again, I got a, "of course not!" reply. After giving him the look, he just raised his hands in the air and shook his head at the stupidity of the request. CC was allowed, since no one obviously knew about it, but OC made people too nervous. He hoped that I saw their argument and that I didn't have a problem complying with their request.

I informed him that I did in fact have a problem with it. Being legally liscensed and a member of the church that has regularly done more in the background than most members, I was being singled out as an OC'er. I told him that I'd make him a deal. Talk to the pastor and see what his request/requirements are, and I would abide by them (since he IS the legal representative of the property owner).

He went inside and a few minutes later came back. They wanted me to leave my sidearm in the car, but my wife was fine. Shaking my head, I unholstered and pointed my weapon in a safe direction, released my mag and unchambered my first round. I placed my firearm in our car, and resnapped my empty holster. Putting the full mags in my pants pocket, the wife and I entered the church.

So as not everyone is outraged, I did not completely disarm myself. I still had my knife, the wife had hers, and her weapons as well. We both carry the same caliber, so we now had more rounds for hers just in case.

After service, we had a nice conversation with the pastor. He explained the nervousness of some of the flock due to not knowing me as well, and the ridiculousness of the request to remove one weapon, yet be able to keep the other. We discussed that this topic would be discussed at the next board meeting and an official policy put in place. I informed him of the existence of INGO, and that I would be more than happy to speak to the board or get him up to speed on applicable IC. If I didnt know an answer to a question, I would get him one.

His last comment was about how some of the church expected god to be the only protection they need at church. (I know, I know, we've ALL see the news stories, etc.) Here is how I replied...

Of course God is the protection we need at the church. He is the shepherd that watches over the flock. But sometimes he uses sheepdogs to keep an eye out at watch over things to help him out. The sheep can't really tell the difference between the wolves and the sheepdogs, but the sheepdogs do. The sheepdogs are the ones that watch out for the sheep and their lambs, and will be the first ones in to defend them.:twocents:

As a minister, wonderful, respectful. As gun owner, I am well aware that a certain percentage of the community sees firearms as dangerous. I was taught, "fear all bullets". My uncle, a minister, always carries. I was puzzled to his rational, until recently. I was awakened when I saw a stabbing outside my church, then later a pastor from our denomination was robbed and murdered on Christmas eve. His wife and children witnessed it from the car.

I made a decision to protect myself and my family. Thank-you INGO for the education on LTCH, and 4 laws, etc. Conceal carry is my option, it does allow flexibility. Love hospital visits. (there are a few great threads about that, too).

I applaud you for your kind report to insane thought that you are a danger. If I might suggest, continue to educate those around you. You would be surprised how quickly the congregation would warm up to you if they knew you were on their side. Convicted felons attend church all the time, this I know. Fear the guy who brings a gun to church once, not the one who carries ever week.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    As a minister, wonderful, respectful. As gun owner, I am well aware that a certain percentage of the community sees firearms as dangerous. I was taught, "fear all bullets". My uncle, a minister, always carries. I was puzzled to his rational, until recently. I was awakened when I saw a stabbing outside my church, then later a pastor from our denomination was robbed and murdered on Christmas eve. His wife and children witnessed it from the car.

I made a decision to protect myself and my family. Thank-you INGO for the education on LTCH, and 4 laws, etc. Conceal carry is my option, it does allow flexibility. Love hospital visits. (there are a few great threads about that, too).

I applaud you for your kind report to insane thought that you are a danger. If I might suggest, continue to educate those around you. You would be surprised how quickly the congregation would warm up to you if they knew you were on their side. Convicted felons attend church all the time, this I know. Fear the guy who brings a gun to church once, not the one who carries ever week.

:rockwoot:

God Bless You sir!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    The whole time I was remembering the story of that one guy showing off his pistol in the closet of a church. He shot through a wall and ended up killing the pastor's daughter. That was another reason I didn't want to disarm. Enter some of those complaining about coonfingering guns and keeping booger pickers of the bang switch.

But followed all the range rules and make sure of my backstop, kept it pointed in safe direction, and kept my booger picker off the bang switch. Both for unloading and reloading of sidearm.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    All over the place. All the time, pretty much. It was easy for it to just become routine. Very easy.

Picked up my kid at the airport Thursday. Parked in the waiting area for arrivals. Waited outside the car with a LEO in the space behind me. Not even a comment from him. I was a bit surprised since it seems no one in St. Joe county has any idea what the gun laws are.

A couple of teenaged boys were making fun of me at the gas station checkout line on Friday(thought I wasn't able to hear them behind me). As I walked past them on the way out, I commented "I heard all that". Their smart ass smiles disapperared and the color drained from their faces.

Check out boy at Martin's yesterday was trying not to stare as we conversed. I just smiled and told him he could have a gun, too.

I'm pretty much OC all the time now and I rarely get any feedback at all.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Always been amazed by the "we don't care if you have it, we just don't want to see it" mentality :n00b:

Edit: Jesus' Disciples open carried swords :D

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Got another one from yesterday. Went into a Kroger to pick up some potted flowers for the Mother In-Law. Went to checkout and one of the bagger kids asked me if I was a cop and if I was allowed to just OC like that. He even asked if it was a Walther PPQ.

Considering I've had people try to guess at it being a Glock, a Sig, a Beretta, a Ruger, a Luger, a 1911.....well it's the first time a kid actually looked at my gun and knew what it was...

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ever since we switched churches due to some drama, my wife and I have carried weapons to our new church. She has hers concealed in a purse, and I Open Carry on my hip. Sometimes at 3 o'clock, sometimes at 4 or 5, depending on my mood and what pants I decide to wear. (Beltloops sometimes determine this. Gives me something else to watch out for when buying pants.). Normally, I have a jacket or a suit on, so my sidearm is partially covered and out of sight. Friends and family know I carry, and they know I keep it with me just about everywhere.

snip...

He went inside and a few minutes later came back. They wanted me to leave my sidearm in the car, but my wife was fine. Shaking my head, I unholstered and pointed my weapon in a safe direction, released my mag and unchambered my first round. I placed my firearm in our car, and resnapped my empty holster. Putting the full mags in my pants pocket, the wife and I entered the church.

snip...

I'm still confused about this whole encounter. Why did you have to leave your gun in the car? He knew that your wife was carrying, but she was still allowed to bring it in?

As a pastor, I would be fine with someone OC at church. If someone said something, however I would most likely ask that person to cover up, but I wouldn't tell them to disarm. I can understand to a certain point since the pastor doesn't want anyone to be distracted from worshiping, but couldn't you have just untucked your shirt and gone about your business?

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    A couple of teenaged boys were making fun of me at the gas station checkout line on Friday(thought I wasn't able to hear them behind me). As I walked past them on the way out, I commented "I heard all that". Their smart ass smiles disapperared and the color drained from their faces.

I would love to know what they said!

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Kroger and Walmart, but Walmart was only OC half the time because at some point the untucked T-shirt managed to slide itself over the grip of the G17, you know the exact opposite problem that I have when attempting to CC.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'm still confused about this whole encounter. Why did you have to leave your gun in the car? He knew that your wife was carrying, but she was still allowed to bring it in?

As a pastor, I would be fine with someone OC at church. If someone said something, however I would most likely ask that person to cover up, but I wouldn't tell them to disarm. I can understand to a certain point since the pastor doesn't want anyone to be distracted from worshiping, but couldn't you have just untucked your shirt and gone about your business?

Because the people flipping out already SAW my weapon. The wife's weapon they hadn't, so it didn't exist as far as they were concerned. Buddy didn't advertise that to them either.

And if the pastor would have had her disarm as well, well we would have been leaving for home and starting the process of looking for another church.

At the time, I think it was a good stop gap measure by the pastor to ratchet sheep emotions down a level without really removing the sheepdog's teeth.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Speedway for the morning coffee, MWAG buys coffee shouldnt that be on the Indy Star headlines someday. I would love to just see some of the mundane things we do put there. MWAG buys toilet paper, MWAG fills up his tank, MWAG stops to help people with overheating car. I have done all those recently and never got a headline.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Speedway for the morning coffee, MWAG buys coffee shouldnt that be on the Indy Star headlines someday. I would love to just see some of the mundane things we do put there. MWAG buys toilet paper, MWAG fills up his tank, MWAG stops to help people with overheating car. I have done all those recently and never got a headline.

They were to scared to call 911 as they thought you might kill them and stuff them in the trunk after you fixed the car for them! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom