• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I think this really comes down to comfort and use... A revolver is in no way obsolete, it's just another tool in the tool box...

If I'm running around in the summer and want not to forget my self protection tool it's probably my little SP101 but if I'm going into some place where there would be many targets and much chance for me being thier target at 2AM, then I may want my 92FS and a couple 20 round mags to go with her... it's the intended job...

The revolver versus the pistol, well that's a whole other can of worms... cause in most cases a pistol will be chambered in a lesser powered caliber and have more rounds on tap, plus a faster overall reload effect...

But the revolver will normally be loaded in a more potent caliber, with a much more reliable firing system for what is in the gun...

Cold weather, being surprised by the aggressor, being off center... all kinds of things can lend themselves to a auto pistol stove pipeing, or jamming in use, where the revolver is normally good to go for the first 5/6/7 or 8 rounds in the pipe....

Learning to reload a revolver under stress can be very intensive in training, but in the same way a auto pistol takes a lot of training to learn how to clear a jam, which is it's biggest problem...

Smith did build the R8 around the idea of a shield gun based on officers fish handling thier service pistols while trying to use a ballistic shield in SWAT type actions for no good reason. The reason... well even the highly trained Police Officers were experiencing stove pipes in thier auto pistols because of trying to carry the shield and still point and shoot the aggressor... the old technology of a revolver came to the rescue since it doesn't jam.. it just carrys a smaller amount of ammo, but they all go off when called on..... Reloading or clearing a jam while carrying a shield is next to impossible but with the R8 revolver they knew they had 8 good shots at the offender before looking for a place to get cover while reloading....

Just my .02 cents...

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    Earlier this year, I was so thrilled with Kahr finally introducing the CM9 that I was determined to buy one. Until I held it in my hand, and it didn't feel much bigger than the P3AT that I already find difficult to control.

I've found that a J-frame carries very well in my pocket, and (most importantly) I can actually shoot it straight. Combine that with the fact that I upgraded from a .38 637 to a Scandium .357 360 that I got a hell of a deal on, and I'm a very happy camper! :D

I'd say that I'm carrying the 360 a bit more than my G19 / King Tuk combo just out of convenience because it weighs nothing and disappears in my pocket.

And .357's in that thing are definitely a wake up call, but still controllable. I modified some Taurus 85 grips to fit, and the rubber padded backstrap helps a bit.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Fortunately we don't live with loads of zombies attacking us at every turn. Esrice is right about the reload time and capacity. Youngda9 is also right saying there isn't anything wrong with a .357. There were some pretty good examples pictured. Now the big question is what do you need it for? If it is just self defense, find what you are comfortable with and how well you shoot with it. I've had two of my Smiths worked on to help with the trigger pull.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've had two of my Smiths worked on to help with the trigger pull.

I get/do trigger jobs on almost all of my firearms, handguns and rifles.

The single absolute best thing that I've been doing to help my trigger pull with my revolvers is to leave a fired piece of brass in my cylander when re-loading at the range. Fill the cylander with live rounds, leave one of the cylanders with an already fired piece of brass, spin the cylander and close it(gently). Now you don't know which round is a "dud". You can't tell when the empty is coming(I can tell when leaving a cylander empty by seeing it in my parepheral vision, this is why I now leave empty brass in the cylander). If you're anticipating recoil you can tell when the hammer falls. You can do this with more than one cylander also. This really helps with your trigger control. Groups are shrinking...I like that !!:rockwoot:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I get/do trigger jobs on almost all of my firearms, handguns and rifles.

The single absolute best thing that I've been doing to help my trigger pull with my revolvers is to leave a fired piece of brass in my cylander when re-loading at the range. Fill the cylander with live rounds, leave one of the cylanders with an already fired piece of brass, spin the cylander and close it(gently). Now you don't know which round is a "dud". You can't tell when the empty is coming(I can tell when leaving a cylander empty by seeing it in my parepheral vision, this is why I now leave empty brass in the cylander). If you're anticipating recoil you can tell when the hammer falls. You can do this with more than one cylander also. This really helps with your trigger control. Groups are shrinking...I like that !!:rockwoot:
    Best thing you can do. I got to the point of on double action, I could pull the hammer back to a certain position and then drop the hammer. Smooth as glass. +1

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    revolvers.jpg

smith-and-wesson-demotivational-poster-1193848174.jpg

I love revolvers

Top Bottom