• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Are wheel guns obsolete for EDC? I may be getting a gun for personal protection and I always grew up with revolvers and I didn't know if they were still "worth" it as a edc. My priority is concealment. ...
    OP wants a concealed personal protection weapon. While it isn't totally out of contention, IMO a double stack semi-automatic isn't the best fit for the stated criteria. I've survived 35+ years with a j-frame. Never have to worry about whether or not there's a round chambered. Not concerned about stove pipe and failures to feed. Magazine maintenance isn't an issue. Don't have to get into the "cocked and locked" debate.

In a defense situation, it will likely all be over before the five rounds are expended. I was taught to fire twice, not try to bury the BG with empty brass. As others have stated, carry what you are comfortable and proficient with.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The J frame is an easy carry, + speedloader or strip. Glock19, 9mm, also easy carry(light weight) won't pocket carry due to trigger set up, requires holster. G19 holds 15 rds, J frame 5. If you wear a concealment shirt, either is a great choice. Heck, carry both.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Interesting video I found online of an IPSC shooter who carries an SP101 as his EDC and decided to run the course with his EDC gun. Naturally it shows some of the limitations of going with a wheel gun but is also shows you can be a capable shooter with it. I think I'm going to get mine milled for moon clips.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvLLIlrb-k&feature=related"]YouTube - Shooting IPSC with a Ruger SP-101 Snubbie[/ame]

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do not think they are obsolete at all. I have carried a revolver before and would not hesitate to do so again if I felt like it. If that is what you are most comfortable with and confident with then that is your best choice.

troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    In a defense situation, it will likely all be over before the five rounds are expended. I was taught to fire twice, not try to bury the BG with empty brass. As others have stated, carry what you are comfortable and proficient with.

I think that saying that a firefight will be over before 5 rounds are fired is pretty much setting him up for failure. There are too many variables and unknowns to just rely on a belief that it will end that soon. Since a revolver is limited on ammo cap and reloads are strenious, it would be a good idea to think beyond the first 5 or 6 shots. Every situation is different, and for that its not bad practice to carry another spare 6.

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    I carried a S&W Model 66 for years as a cop on duty. I never felt it inferior, obsolete, or like my life is any safer now with a Sig .40. It's all about how much you practice with what you have at hand. For people who don't carry a gun as their living, get what you feel comfortable with and practice as much as you can. BH

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    IMO, its more about the person than it is the gun. All things being equal, the technology, capacity, and capabilities of a modern SA would be superior. All people are not equal. This is not to say that you are "inferior" if a revolver is the right gun for you. Every person has a different level of comfort, confidence, and training. While giving yourself the opportunity to improve these levels is a positive goal, carrying a weapon that doesn't fit you as a person is a negative. :twocents:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I think that saying that a firefight will be over before 5 rounds are fired is pretty much setting him up for failure. There are too many variables and unknowns to just rely on a belief that it will end that soon. Since a revolver is limited on ammo cap and reloads are strenious, it would be a good idea to think beyond the first 5 or 6 shots. Every situation is different, and for that its not bad practice to carry another spare 6.
    Concealed self defense, or a firefight? If OP wants to pack for a firefight, he should have multiple magazines and a shotgun. Spare ammo is a good idea regardless of weapon. Revolvers are good for self defense and typical self defense scenario happens quickly. Heck, those who feel more is better, more power to them. (No pun intended.)

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have no qualms about carrying a 5 shot .38 spl J-frame.

Proficiency breeds confidence, if your not confident, just spend more time at the range until you are.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Concealed self defense, or a firefight? If OP wants to pack for a firefight, he should have multiple magazines and a shotgun. Spare ammo is a good idea regardless of weapon. Revolvers are good for self defense and typical self defense scenario happens quickly. Heck, those who feel more is better, more power to them. (No pun intended.)

Technically, don't the majority end when the would be perp sees the gun and decides not to die before the first shot is fired?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I caught a little bit of the exchange regarding snub vs. compact semi-auto. Just a few thoughts/questions. I don't see how the sights are inferior. Did you mean the sight radius? I know most (all?) snubs have a rear notch sight but don't most compact semi-autos? Whatever the case (sight radius or quality), I think that current offerings in laser grips/sights will help narrow the gap with proper training. Expectations must be realistic though.

One thing that should be clear, the snub demands a lot of attention (commitment to training) if it is going to be carried for self defense. A lot gunshop commandos default to the "snubby" recommendation when giving their opinion regarding a good, concealable carry gun ... especially for women. It doesn't matter one whit what your chromosomes are ... the snubby demands a lot of range time to be responsibly proficient in hitting your target and reloading. I had a couple pretty well known instructors tell me once that the carry snub is for professional shooters (they were talking about commitment, not a paycheck). It's not for the once a month plinker.

BTW, have you ever seen Jerry Miculek shoot a snubby? He makes it sound like a semi auto. Not only that, but he hits the target. JM doesn't have magical powers. He does, however, spend a lot of time practicing.

To the OP, it's a matter of commitment no matter what platform you choose.

*I know ... Zombie thread. I had something to contribute and it's almost Halloween anyway. :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Are wheel guns obsolete for EDC?

My EDC is an auto, but I don't think wheelies will ever be "obsolete."

The capacity is less, but at least you know that it's going to go bang when you pull the trigger...There are pros and cons to both.

Get what you're comfortable with. I would have no issue carrying a revolver around, either as a backup or a primary although my nickname may give an indication as to where I typically lean.

Is your duty pistol a 1911?

alpha0486

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    New Palestine
    Revolvers are dependable. As for the low round count and accuracy, in most cases if you are forced to draw your weapon, they will be close enough that you will be able to hit them and hit them on the first or second shot. Put a bullet from any gun or caliber into someone and they will stop and take notice. Will end up being your personal preference.

ghostpoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My wife has joint issues with her hands and when at the range with a little work she is able to rack a slide. But we are looking at the S&W Bodyguard .38 as a carry for her. She likes the size and not having to worry about the slide to clear a jam or what ever just makes it a better option for her. I agree it is all situational really and what you prefer.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    My little Taurus 85 titanium 38 goes with me everywhere I go, except places where it is illegal. I've been carrying it for many years and hardly anyone even knows I have it. It is just a part of me. Those who would object to me having it in their presence, well they can just remain clueless as far as I cam concerned. I have confidence that when and If it is needed, it will do it's job. I have grown quite comfortable carrying it and that is the most important thing above all else because it will be there when I need it. I added a nice rosewood grip, and Don Hume leather holster so it looks stylish and doesn't print much. I did not like the stock rubber grip because it seemed to grab the inside of my pocket. There is a big difference between having something small and comfortable in your pocket, and having no firearm at all. It will win in a knife fight every time.

Top Bottom