• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Esrice is correct.

A snub revolver will never be superiour to a doublestack modern pistol, but I dont think anyone is claiming that it is.

For certain modes of carry, the snub has its benefits.

I will always have a j frame on me, and in certain times and places ALSO have a 1911.

But the j frame is a easy constant companion.

I would never say I am as well armed as with a full sized or even compact semi-auto, but some gun is better than no gun.

Just today I was up in front of my whole church, tucked in dress shirt, no jacket, pretty easy to throw the J into your pocket holster rather than conceal a larger gun.

They have their place, but its an "additional" gun in my opinion. I agree with Esrice.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think revolvers have a definite place in self-defense. For your needs, any light j-frame in a pocket holster will work nicely. As for suggestions, I would recommend an M&P340 and any pokcet holster that works for you. And I would stoke it with 125gr semi-jacketed hollowpoints. This is exactly what I carry all the time.

A bit heavier option would be a model 66 snub concealed iwb. This is my wife's carry rig.

All carry options are compromises one way or the other. Several rounds/heavy weight and possibly more difficult to conceal vs less rounds/lightweight easier to conceal.

I'm surprised and please to see so many carrying 38/357 snubs.

Man, that 329 Alaskan is SWEET!!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Esrice is correct.

A snub revolver will never be superiour to a doublestack modern pistol, but I dont think anyone is claiming that it is.

For certain modes of carry, the snub has its benefits.

I will always have a j frame on me, and in certain times and places ALSO have a 1911.

But the j frame is a easy constant companion.

I would never say I am as well armed as with a full sized or even compact semi-auto, but some gun is better than no gun.

Just today I was up in front of my whole church, tucked in dress shirt, no jacket, pretty easy to throw the J into your pocket holster rather than conceal a larger gun.

They have their place, but its an "additional" gun in my opinion. I agree with Esrice.

Nice!! I did the same, only with an M&P 340. I do every Sunday though- I'm the preacher.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I know it's 4 am , but am I confused or not reading your post right ?

"Mind ya'll, this would just be my first gun."

"but I make time to shoot my firearms when I have the money to"

:dunno:

Anyway..........nothing wrong with a wheel gun. I carry everything from a J frame and a Bond , to a Blackhawk .41 mag to a Beretta Cougar in .45acp. It's nice to have multiple options for different seasonal attire.
    I'm 20 and have a LTCH, but I think my dad is going to gift me a EDC i believe.

I shoot lots of other things, and I try to shoot them often. lol

Ok so what I'm getting from this thread is that a revolver isn't superior but its not inferior. It'd still be alright to carry?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm 20 and have a LTCH, but I think my dad is going to gift me a EDC i believe.

I shoot lots of other things, and I try to shoot them often. lol

Ok so what I'm getting from this thread is that a revolver isn't superior but its not inferior. It'd still be alright to carry?
    It'll be just fine to carry. Anyone who says otherwise is welcome to stand in front of me and let me fire off a couple of rounds at them and see if it has any effect on them. This is just another 9mm vs .45 argument, (and I carry a .45 semi half the year).

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    I have a variety of semi's, including a Glock 26. I wanted something even smaller for CC, for when I am not wearing a jacket. I opted for a Ruger LCR-LG for size, weight, a personal belief that it won't jam, and that great little red laser dot :).

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    It'll be just fine to carry. Anyone who says otherwise is welcome to stand in front of me and let me fire off a couple of rounds at them and see if it has any effect on them. This is just another 9mm vs .45 argument, (and I carry a .45 semi half the year).

Nice summation! :yesway:

If you think this discussion is tough, you ought to try and listen to them rationalize the best alloy for steel targets....

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Well i grew up around a lot of old school gun owners so I'm just trying to make sure my perspective isn't skewered. =p

Also remember that sites like INGO are skewed towards black rifles and polymer double stacks. I carry a S&W 637 daily, for what its worth.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    Always carry what you are comfortable with. I would never suggest carrying any gun that you have not put at the very minimum of 500 rounds through. I personally not carry any sidearm that i have not put 1000+ rounds through. this does take a little longer to do with a six gun but it is still very important that you are comfortable with how the gun operates and handles.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are wheel guns obsolete for EDC? I may be getting a gun for personal protection and I always grew up with revolvers and I didn't know if they were still "worth" it as a edc. My priority is concealment. I work at a really friendly business and I don't want some people who are uncomfortable around guns to know I have one. I really don't want anyone to know I have one (Not to turn this in to CC/OC). I'm not worried about the .38 round, I feel like its sufficient but I didnt know with today's double stacked 9's if it was silly to get a snubby.

What do you care what a bunch of anonymous people on the internet think? I think you've already answered you own question. For all you know people giving you advice may have just learned yesterday how to adjust their own sights and now they are advocating you buy what they'll change their mind about and be selling in a week.

Stick with what you know is my advice.

All that really matters concerning guns is how many holes you can put in something, how fast you can do it, how big the holes are and how deep they go.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    I think those SW Backpackers are better looking than my Ruger Alaskan. Is your Backpacker ported?

No porting and weighs only 29.7 oz unloaded. I am not recoil sensitive so it does not bother me at all. The Alaskan has a stainless cylinder instead of Titanium it weighs more than the 4" 329pd!

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    pix726371649.jpg

quote]

Now that has to feel pretty good to shoot:D 44 mag in a snubbie...
    I put several hot 240 xtp's, max charge H110 powder 24 grains, These push around 1520/1525 from the 4" should push 1300 something from the snub's. will chrono some when it warms up.
    It doesn't bother me.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    What do you care what a bunch of anonymous people on the internet think? I think you've already answered you own question. For all you know people giving you advice may have just learned yesterday how to adjust their own sights and now they are advocating you buy what they'll change their mind about and be selling in a week.

Stick with what you know is my advice.

All that really matters concerning guns is how many holes you can put in something, how fast you can do it, how big the holes are and how deep they go.
    Well I didnt know if .38's were actually more concealable or not compared to double stacked 9's. I mean, i would think they're generally smaller other than the cylinder. I just wanted to make sure what I thought was a reality.

As far as anonymous people on the entrawebz. As I've stated, I'm young. I've grown up running around the series of tubes that make up the internets. I know how to tell, fairly well, when someone is full of ****. =p

troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I would say that if you went with a revolver just make sure to train with it and extensively drill reloads. To me I believe that would be the hardest part is doing that quickly and efficiently. You never know how many rounds you're gonna need, and just because someone else's gun fight lasted 3 rounds doesn't mean you wont need any more or less. Just train, and keep some spare ammo JIC.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a S&W 19-4 w/ 4" barrel and have carried it in a Bianchi holster fine, comfortable and not as hefty as I thought it would be.
    My only concern is for the pretty blued finish that might suffer.
    If I find a nice stainless 4" I'll probably carry that more this time of year. Summer belongs to the PF9 or RAMI, but even a 2" revolver would work for me in the summer.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Adding to the good comments already posted. If concealment is a primary concern, as far a belt holstered gun goes, remember that even a 5 shot j frame is very wide. If I'm carrying IWB, width is number one issue, grip length is number two issue. Barrel length not so much.

For me, pocket carry is a completely different story. I carry my S&W 642 or SP101 a lot in the winter time, because it goes right in the pocket, no futzing around with a belt holster. I sit down in a restaurant and it slips out of my coat pocket into my pants pocket, no muss, no fuss. For a number of reasons, too much to go into, it's a compromise for me. My preference is a double stack plastic gun, but it's not always the most practical thing for me. After that, a single stack slim 9mm. After that, pocket J frame.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom