What's your 12ga slug of choice for a smooth bore shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm getting the old hunting kit out and while normally I hunt with a puma 92 44mag. This year I put a smooth bore barrel with rifle sights on my 11-87. I'm not saying that I'm going to be going back to my 12ga for deer hunting, but I would like to know what guys are using out of their shotguns for deer hunting. It's not a rifled barrel, so I don't need sabots. Right now I've got a bunch of winchester cheapo slugs that I plan on testing, but I'm still curious what every one else's favorite flavor is.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I too shoot a 11-87 but mine is a rifled barrel, most will post 870 rem. I would say... If you ever want to get rid of that 11-87 slick bore barrel please let me know...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I too shoot a 11-87 but mine is a rifled barrel, most will post 870 rem. I would say... If you ever want to get rid of that 11-87 slick bore barrel please let me know...

A rifled barrel would be more accurate for hunting with sabot slugs. I bought mine with more of a home defense type of use and I went with iron sights because I suck with just a bead on the end of a barrel.

Here's the barrel I bought: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...xed-improved-cylinder-rifle-sights-parkerized

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    A rifled barrel would be more accurate for hunting with sabot slugs. I bought mine with more of a home defense type of use and I went with iron sights because I suck with just a bead on the end of a barrel.

Here's the barrel I bought: Remington Barrel Remington 11-87 Police 12 Ga 3 18-1/2 Fixed Improved

Yea my barrel is 24" long and its a tac driver, but sabots are alot of $$$$ and a slick bore would be alot cheaper in the long run.... lol, I got a pump 870 mossburg w/18.5" barrel for HP....

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I shoot Remington's Sluggers for 3gun out of my 870 (24" field barrel, IM choke I believe) and get decent groups at 50 yards. 3-4 inches off a rest, IIRC. I've also heard good things about Lightfield.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have had good luck with both the Federal Tru-ball penetrator (LINK)and Bereneke Heavy Field Short Magnums (LINK). Both have been very accurate for me from a smoothbore. I use both in a Mossberg 590 in 12g and Mossberg 500 in 20g. Very good accuracy.

In my guns, I experience a fair bit more recoil from the Truball which seems counter to the advertised velocities as the Brenekke is ~1400fps and 2500 ft-lb and the Truball is 1300fps with 1600 lb-ft.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I don't know of any who will tell you the winchester slugs are worth a nickel. I really like my Marlin 512---rifled barrel. I am a Lightfield guy tried and true. Hornady are good but a bit on the light side for me. I don't mind using it in the cold but don't care a bit to shoot much in warm weather, it is rough on the body.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've heard of the winchesters being too soft at the magnum velocities, but I mostly shoot 2 3/4 standard velocity for anything out of a 12 ga. Getting into 3" or larger magnum type of rounds out of a shotgun has always seemed to me that it was more for the shooters ego. I've never seen a 2 3/4 shell blow the crap out of whatever it hits. In the past I bought the winchesters because they were on the shelf and cheap. That's what I've left over right now so that'll be my go to slug until I find something that works better.

I specifically went to an 11-87 after being an 870 guy for years after I shot an auto loader and noticed how much lighter the recoil was. I doubt it's more accurate or any better, but especially with slugs it helps save my shoulder a beating.

Keep the suggestions coming.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I specifically went to an 11-87 after being an 870 guy for years after I shot an auto loader and noticed how much lighter the recoil was. I doubt it's more accurate or any better, but especially with slugs it helps save my shoulder a beating..
    Don't blame ya there, my 870 kicks like a mule with slugs. Can't wait till I can get a semi to build up...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Don't blame ya there, my 870 kicks like a mule with slugs. Can't wait till I can get a semi to build up...

I bought my 11-87 on sale brand new at Dick's Sporting goods for $500. It was an incredible deal at the time, but it's been a year or two now.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I bought my 11-87 on sale brand new at Dick's Sporting goods for $500. It was an incredible deal at the time, but it's been a year or two now.
    I'm holding out for a Stoeger 3000 or a Benelli M2. Takes another couple hundred $ past the stock gun to get it tweaked for 3gun, so for the next year I'm gonna force myself to practice with what I've got. Then I might actually see some benefit. :D

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I like the Winchester cheapie slugs in my smooth bores as well. I've tried them all and keep going back to the Winchesters. The ones on my shelf I bought at Galyans Plainfield decades ago. They still work fine and shoot pretty tight groups. They'd shoot tighter but I really hate sighting in 12ga slugs. Before I even put my finger close to the trigger I know I'm getting the sh.. kicked out of me.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have a Winchester 1300 that came with a rifled barrel and I have a smooth bore too for that gun... under a 100 yards I did not see that much difference in the sabot vs other slugs thru the smooth bore. I got rid of the rifled barrel and still hit a small pie pan at 75 yards, Scoped but it still hit.. not trying to start a fight but anyone else see the need for sabot slugs?? As a kid we all bought the cheapest slugs and still took deer with them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a Winchester 1300 that came with a rifled barrel and I have a smooth bore too for that gun... under a 100 yards I did not see that much difference in the sabot vs other slugs thru the smooth bore. I got rid of the rifled barrel and still hit a small pie pan at 75 yards, Scoped but it still hit.. not trying to start a fight but anyone else see the need for sabot slugs?? As a kid we all bought the cheapest slugs and still took deer with them.

Before pistol caliber rifles were allowed I had a savage 12 ga fully rifled bolt action with a scope. That shotgun with federal 3" barnes sabots was between 1 1/2 & 2" at 100 yards. That shotgun & ammo combo shot better than a Rem 700 BDL in 300RUM that I had at the time and that's what turned me onto savage rifles. There's a place for sabot slugs, but generally speaking that place is in a rifled barrel and I don't have one since my rifled hunting barrel is a 44magnum these days.

Top Bottom