What's everyone doing about lower back pain?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Been dealing with it for over a year now. Finally starting to improve. I changed chiropractors after giving the last one a year to fix it. The new one went to the same school but is using different therapies. Knock on wood, it seems to be improving. That or it's winter and I'm not working in the yard as much!

I'm not a treat the symptom kind of person. I'm sure a muscle relaxer would make it feel better but I'm about getting to the root cause and starting there.

I do exercises 2, sometime 3X per day; specific stretches to gain hip and leg mobility. The idea being that I need to engage my hips and legs for work which are the strongest parts of the body and not my lower back which is weak. And in order to engage those body parts you need not only strength but mobility. You have to learn how to create a "shelf" with your abdomen and maintain proper posture when you do stuff.

Then I hit the gym 3X per week weight training. I do exercises that help strengthen my lower back(along with leg/glute work. No curls or triceps extensions here. Don't have time for that) without creating more pain.

Then throughout the day, I try to move which is hard as I have an office job since covid restricted my travel. I use a stand up desk half the day, sit down the other half and walk over to the next building when I need to talk to someone vs calling them.

I get up and leave at lunch instead of eating at my cube.

Driving is less stressful on my back than not driving. As long as I stop for lunches, gas, pee and get out and move a bit.

I could go on, but I'll leave room for other's to chime in. My path may not be at all what you are interested in.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    VA doesn't give out pain pills anymore, but they won't fix my back either because I'm "not a good candidate for back surgery at this time".

I just try not to overdo things, and deal with it.
    If I really need to get something done, I do it anyway... then bitch, and complain about being in pain for the next couple days.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Anything neck or back related is Chiropractor.

I have a screwed up neck. Every four or five years I would get to where I couldn't move my head. I would go to a chiropractor, get it fixed and stopped going. Now I am in my 50s and I finally had enough. I go every 8 weeks for maintenance adjustments, and my neck stays good.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Anything neck or back related is Chiropractor.

I have a screwed up neck. Every four or five years I would get to where I couldn't move my head. I would go to a chiropractor, get it fixed and stopped going. Now I am in my 50s and I finally had enough. I go every 8 weeks for maintenance adjustments, and my neck stays good.
    Thank you for this. My neck and upper back is messed up pretty bad. Did you ever get light headed super tired and foggy brained when your neck pain was amping up? I have that happen sometimes and it stresses me out that it’s something else, but when my neck feels ok I don’t have those issues so curious if someone else with neck and upper back problems had similar experiences.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't believe in chiropractors as a long term solution. YMMV, I put it in the same bucket as incense and shaking rattles. If you're going to pay someone, go to a sports medicine place.

Stretching to keep the lower back from getting tight, deadlifts to keep the strength up. Even after years in a patrol car and wearing a duty belt, no issues. Slipped disks in c-spine, and that sucks and continues to be a minor issue thanks to dead nerves, but stretching/exercise is the long term solution unless there's an actual mechanical issue that needs surgery or nerve pain. Not much you can do about the last sometimes, sadly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't believe in chiropractors as a long term solution. YMMV, I put it in the same bucket as incense and shaking rattles. If you're going to pay someone, go to a sports medicine place.

Stretching to keep the lower back from getting tight, deadlifts to keep the strength up. Even after years in a patrol car and wearing a duty belt, no issues. Slipped disks in c-spine, and that sucks and continues to be a minor issue thanks to dead nerves, but stretching/exercise is the long term solution unless there's an actual mechanical issue that needs surgery or nerve pain. Not much you can do about the last sometimes, sadly.
    Agree. Even the first statements with the caveat that you need to choose the right chiropractor. I go to ones that have sports medicine background and are athletes. Just getting a weekly adjustment is not the cure.

A friend of mine who is an osteopath said start with the least invasive and move towards more. Surgery should not be "voluntary".

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    TRX...low impact, lots of core. Your body weight and foot position determines the resistance. I have also recently added a little kettlebell to the workout. 1-2 times a week with some off day stretching as well.

I partially herniated my lowest disc almost 23 years ago. The core work really helps with mountain biking as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did this when I had my garage gym. Rippetoe is a pioneer of strength training and the two guys who put that book together rolled it out to the aging folks.

Only thing I would advise with this route, is do this with a personal trainer or at least get some eyes on training to make sure your form is absolutely correct. I have been lifting weights since the late 70's and my in-laws were surprised when I told them I am now using a personal trainer. I said that I have learned more in the last few years than in all the other years combined about proper body mechanics. It is all very subtle.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I did this when I had my garage gym. Rippetoe is a pioneer of strength training and the two guys who put that book together rolled it out to the aging folks.

Only thing I would advise with this route, is do this with a personal trainer or at least get some eyes on training to make sure your form is absolutely correct. I have been lifting weights since the late 70's and my in-laws were surprised when I told them I am now using a personal trainer. I said that I have learned more in the last few years than in all the other years combined about proper body mechanics. It is all very subtle.
    absolutely. learn how to do the lifts right. Rip’s videos are extremely good too. I had the good fortune to meet the man on our last trip to TX. We stopped in Wichita Falls and got a 3+ hour family training session with Rusty at the original SS gym. Rip came out of his office as we left and was *exactly* the way he is on his podcast, grouchy but funny old TX guy, e.g., he strongly suggested my wife consider divorcing me after she told him I played his podcast for them on the way there.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

I returned to playing golf last year after 15 years off (long, uninteresting story). On most days, I could get in 9 or 10 holes before lower back pain shut me down.

Saw my primary care physician who referred me to a physical therapist. After 4 weeks of intense therapy, things improved a bit, but I was still unable to do what I wanted to in golf and in day to day life.

Finally went to a chiropractor last Spring, who diagnosed my condition as being caused my myofascial adhesions. Less-than-pleasant deep tissue massage sessions followed, and so did improvement. By Summer, I was able to ay 18 pain-free, and my swing coach noticed a big improvement in my ability to turn my hips and torso. Now, I just use a lacrosse ball and a wall to massage the lower back once a week or so.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

+1 on the personal trainer. I'm seeing a guy certified by the Titleist Performance Institute, and some of the routines he has me doing are pretty inventive. I'm sure that working with a 65 year-old fat guy is quite a challenge for him!

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    To add to the good input.
    Massage once a month allows for body realignment after targeting tight and stressed areas. A great wellness benefit worth the cost. Find the right therapist, trying different people. A foam roller or roller stick at home is beneficial too.

Yoga. It's easy and effective, you don't have to be perfect, just go through some forms and positions. Even 5 minutes morning and night makes a world of difference. Any stretching, particularly hamstrings.

Body weight exercises and core training. I'd be careful with excessive heavy lifts, particularly deadlift.

Low inflammatory foods. Whole foods only, no processed or FrankenOils. Keeping weight down helps protect the back.

Eating twice a day and time restricted/intermittent fasting allows your body to heal, rebuild cells through autophagy. Eat 10a to 6p or noon to 8p for a 16:8 method on occasion or self schedule such as just when you feel like it.

Sunshine, daily walking, meditation, positive mental attitude, less screen time and reducing stress. May have to avoid some people ;)

Occasional NSAID and the Mobic/Meloxicam is a 24 hr that is decent. Not sure pain pills/opioids are a good thing but have spoke to people that said a 5mg edible is helpful for pain or sleep.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Now, I just use a lacrosse ball and a wall to massage the lower back once a week or so.
    Lacrosse balls are magical! They have really helped me over the years. Tight shoulders, tight hamstrings, tight quads, tight glutes those work well on most everything that gets tight!

Reactions: oze

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    In have 7 screwed up discs in my back, Lumbar, Cervical and Thoracic.
    The Lumbar and Cervical are what cause the most trouble.

I have done mostly everything except the recommended fusions. Injections are what provide the most relief.

Home treatments I have a decompression table at home and it is what gives me the most relief. Tens unit for relief from the intense nerve pain, and dry needling if it gets to knotted up and spasming muscles.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thank you for this. My neck and upper back is messed up pretty bad. Did you ever get light headed super tired and foggy brained when your neck pain was amping up? I have that happen sometimes and it stresses me out that it’s something else, but when my neck feels ok I don’t have those issues so curious if someone else with neck and upper back problems had similar experiences.
    No. Mine was like when you sleep wrong and you can't move your head for bit, except it never went away.

Top Bottom