• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If I could, I would use the model our chem department uses and convert to grains. It was accurate to like to like ten thousandths of a gram.

I'm not looking for super precise, as I intend to start with 9x19 for about 1500 rds, and then going on to 45acp, so I would like fairly decent accuracy with an acceptable variance of less than 1/2gr.

Any ideas?

I have checked out smart-reloader scales, but I am not sure if they are decent for the money. I mean their like 50 bucks comparable to 120 of other "reputable" reloading brands.

A scale is a scale to me, and it doesn't have to be a lyman, rcbs, or dillon. As long as it is fairly close in terms of precise weights.

Perhaps a beam scale would suit my needs? I'm not going to trickle loads, so any help would be awesome :)

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    I have the same question. I plan to go with the Hornady LNL AP so would intend to use the scale to check the powder measure. I'm thinking a beam scale would suffice. I'm wondering if the Lee scale is good enough (it seems to be the best deal).
    Sorry to hijak your thread...:popcorn:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I like the RCBS 5-0-5 ,we have 2 of these, a old style and a new. I really dislike the Lee scale that came with my first press. It sits on the shelf for a backup.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not looking for super precise, as I intend to start with 9x19 for about 1500 rds, and then going on to 45acp, so I would like fairly decent accuracy with an acceptable variance of less than 1/2gr.

Perhaps a beam scale would suit my needs? I'm not going to trickle loads, so any help would be awesome :)

Yes, I feel a beam scale would serve your needs well. I have a RCBS 5-0-5 that I bought in the mid 80's and it has always served me well.

I would not agree with you though that it ( SCALE ) does not need to be super precise. You want it to be dead nuts right on ! It will be your powder MEASURE that you could possibly live with being a little inconsistent. By a little, I don't mean +/- 1/2 gr either.... I would shoot more for like +/- .1 gr, depending on the caliber, measure, and powder used. This is especially true in the smaller capacity case such as 9mm that you mention and doubly true if you go with a faster burning powder....

Out of curiosity, if just starting out why are you choosing to load 9mm first ?
    IMHO, the .45 ACP would show you the greater cost savings and being it is a low pressure, straight walled case, would be the more forgiving, sweeter round to start with. :)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm starting with 9 because my wife loves shooting the 1911s I own, but she can barely write her name after the next day.

She has some wrist issues, and I've helped her with the grip on my glock 19, and now she is liking shooting it, and the recoil is a lot more tame for her...though she shoots the bigger guns better.

I am starting with 9 also because I shoot a lot more 9 than 45, and cost savings isn't what I am after for the most part, I shoot my g19 very well, and it is what I intend to train with.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If I had to go back to using a beam scale it would make me crazy. I've got an rcbs digital, the big read out and quick settling time makes checking charge weight every 10th load a snap and calibration is almost always dead on when I check it with a test weight at the start of each reloading session. If calibration is off all I have to do is push a few buttons to get it back where it needs to be.
    For me a good digital scale is money well spent.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Bear in mind where your reloading area is located. If you reload in the garage like I do, the temperature extremes ( read cold in the winter) render a digital scale nearly useless. I use a RCBS 10-10 beam scale and highly recommend this type of scale. This is an area it is not wise to skimp on.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I picked up a Neva Pocket scale on advise from Kludge a few years back and it's been great. I check it's work with a beam scale from time to time, but it has always been accurate. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've never been able to find a Neva, but the one I have is definitely inexpensive.

Digital Precision Scale (20g Max / 0.001g Resolution) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It goes to 0.001g (0.01 to 0.02gr) and compares nicely to a $1500 Ohaus lab balance in accuracy that we have in the shop. Meaning you would have to have a $500 check weight to determine which one is more accurate. Repeatability of the Ohaus is better (obviously), but for reloading, repeatability to the 0.01-0.02gr is not needed, and actually can be a bit distracting.

The only "problem" I have with my cheap scale is that the pan is very small. When loading rifle rounds I tare it with the pan from my beam scale.

Incidentally it's EXACTLY the same as this scale, which retails for $65 (was $80 when I bought mine).

http://www.americanweigh.com/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=580

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    A quality scale is a great idea if you plan on measuring every round you make, however if you are running ammo through a progressive press most likely you will weigh until you get your charge then every once in a while for quality control. Which means your biggest variable isn't the scale, its the consistancy in the powder drop which can easily be 0.1 to 0.2 grams standard deviation... if not more... just food for thought.

Last edited:

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I've been running a PACT for the last 10-12 years and I've never had a problem with it and repeatability. Just keep in mind that where ever you use it, keep wind off the scale and don't use it on the same table/bench you reload on. All the movement you impart on the bench will make the scale un-reliable. I run my scale about 10ft from the bench on a big heavy cart full of tools and the scale sits on a 2inch thick piece of steel. Much steadier than putting the scale on the reloading bench.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    The only "problem" I have with my cheap scale is that the pan is very small. When loading rifle rounds I tare it with the pan from my beam scale.

I just tare the cartridge case and use it as the pan to measure all my loads. That way there's little chance of spillage and less handling.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814722/rcbs-rangemaster-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity-110-volt

This is what I use. I bought a Lee single stage press kit and the beam scale was complete crap so I decided to buy a nice digital scale. A digital scale is definitely worth the money IMO because of reasons already mentioned above. Quick and accurate readout is what you want. Precision is also exactly what you want. If you're using a powder such as Titegroup where the min-max load variation is 0.4 grains then you want to know exactly where you're at. Precision of the scale should be one of the most important factors of it, even more so than speed if you ask me.

If you plan on doing any rifle rounds in the future, I'd look into a digital scale for sure. Or if you just want something a bit quicker to read and easier to work with than a beam scale. Whatever you do, get an actual reloading scale that measures in grains instead of grams. I'm sure you can look up and do the math just fine, but we are human and we do make mistakes. Making a mistake in powder charge can cost you a lot more than what a decent scale would cost. :twocents:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Heh sounds like one of those Mettler analytical balances. I have a couple of triple beam balances that'll do .1g (that's grams, not grains). Your reloading scales will typically do ±.1gr (which is about 15x as precise), but this is a scale, not a balance. It's quite adequate, though, especially with some measure of climate control. If you're just reloading for yourself, repeatability is more of an issue than anything else; you want what you do next month to be what you did last month, whatever that was.

Top Bottom