• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Yeah, I mean if you want to buy a suppressor then got 300blk... If you are looking for something to hunt with go 450. That's what I think.

I do enjoy the AR platform for its versatility and would agree 450BM (or even 458) is a good choice if you want to hunt with it. Besides deer, it would be a good choice for hogs.

I'm not going to say 300blk isn't a capable hunting round; it certainly has a lot going for it. But as of right now it's not IN deer legal when used in a rifle. With current hunting laws and ammo availability/production, I feel it’s kind of a novelty (for my current needs).
    Then again, someone else would probably tell me my 5” suppressed 9mm SBR would be a novelty. You just have to decide what you want to do with it, and go from there.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    7.62x39. It's cheap and you can find it everywhere.

^This.
    I built one in 7.62x39 a few years ago just because I wanted something different.
    After taking the time to find the mags that actually work with the x39 round it has run flawlessly.
    I love it. It is accurate, and about the same weight as the 5.56.
    I'm looking forward to Indiana opening the regs to allow center-fire rifles for hunting deer this year.

blackterror

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    I do enjoy the AR platform for its versatility and would agree 450BM (or even 458) is a good choice if you want to hunt with it. Besides deer, it would be a good choice for hogs.

I'm not going to say 300blk isn't a capable hunting round; it certainly has a lot going for it. But as of right now it's not IN deer legal when used in a rifle. With current hunting laws and ammo availability/production, I feel it’s kind of a novelty (for my current needs).
    Then again, someone else would probably tell me my 5” suppressed 9mm SBR would be a novelty. You just have to decide what you want to do with it, and go from there.

300 blk will fit the spare bcg I already have. I dont really want to buy another bolt. I've already decided on 300blk. I just have to decide the barrel length I want to run with.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

That's what we are all getting at. Unless you are going to have a suppressor and reload don't go 300blk and do another for hunting. But otherwise the 300 is sweet. And you could hogs and yotes with it. But for the reason you are saying with things like deer is why I was suggesting going another route as they would still be good for other game + you factor out reloading and NFA junk.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Dont have the lower receiver for that. Might just build a rifle length set up or 9mm carbine just for fun.

9mm requires a completely different BCG than the standard AR. If you’re looking to build around the current BCG you have, this is not going to be an option for you.

I personally wouldn't build the rifle around the bolt I had on hand. I decide what I wanted to do and build the rifle around that.

I'd just save the current bolt for a spare in case on in a different rifle breaks and reuse the carrier group with an appropriate bolt for the caliber you decide on.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    If you want a real thumper, build it in .458 Socom. It's legal to hunt with in Indiana and has a lot of bullets to choose from if you reload. You're going to want an ACE stock with a pad if you go that route though. Otherwise, I'm partial to the 6.8 SPC. It get's the job done on deer within 150 yards. If you want a target rifle, the 6.5 Grendel is a great choice. Flat shooting and not bad recoil.

Top Bottom