• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After reading some of the stuff on that link, I went ahead and ordered a spring from Numrich. Maybe I might get lucky and be able to "mix and match" and come up with a combination that works. They're easy enough to assemble and disassemble.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry for the Necro Post, but I finally got around to trying the new bolt and firing pin spring. It's a tight fit, but it closes on a round. Just to be safe, we (indy1919a4 and I) used a string to fire it from a Lead Sled, had no issues. Primers are still backing out a little but it's better than it was. Best of all, no blowback at all, so I feel it's safe to shoot now. I've also resigned myself to the fact that it's no tack driver by any stretch of the imagination. The bore is just too pitted I think. As hard as it is to find ammo for it, (at a price I'm willing to pay that is) it's probably just as well. I think it's going to be a safe queen, but I won't ever get rid of this one since it belonged to my childhood best friend's dad. I think he knows that I'll take better care of it than he would have. He's not really a gun guy (Damned Liberal! :):) but he would enjoy it. We used to shoot a lot as kids, but now he doesn't really have much interest in them. Now I just have to get him out to let him try it out along with the Argentine Mauser that I also got from him. :)

triggerhappy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    I've seen this before, you definetly have a headspace problem! When these rifles were brought home by military personel as souvenirs it was quikly realized ammo was not available, so many were rechambered to accept a .257 Roberts case necked up and loaded with a 6.5 bullet. Looks like you might have one of these rifles, see if you can find a .257 Roberts case and check to see if it chambers. I have one of these rifles and made my own dies for it. If you can't find a friend with a .257 Roberts case or a gunsmith close too you with .257 Roberts gages send me a message and I'll see if I can get one to you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've seen this before, you definetly have a headspace problem! When these rifles were brought home by military personel as souvenirs it was quikly realized ammo was not available, so many were rechambered to accept a .257 Roberts case necked up and loaded with a 6.5 bullet. Looks like you might have one of these rifles, see if you can find a .257 Roberts case and check to see if it chambers. I have one of these rifles and made my own dies for it. If you can't find a friend with a .257 Roberts case or a gunsmith close too you with .257 Roberts gages send me a message and I'll see if I can get one to you.
    The primer backing out does seem to be a common problem according to threads I've seen in an Arisaka forum. I don't know anyone that has a 257, but I could call my gunsmith and ask him if he has gauges. He said that they don't make headspace gauges for the Arisaka? Or would the 257 gauge work instead of that? Still getting a slight bulge in the case just above the base too, so that would tend to point to the headspace issue too, wouldn't it? The bulges aren't as pronounced with this new bolt as they were with the original one.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The primer backing out does seem to be a common problem according to threads I've seen in an Arisaka forum. I don't know anyone that has a 257, but I could call my gunsmith and ask him if he has gauges. He said that they don't make headspace gauges for the Arisaka? Or would the 257 gauge work instead of that? Still getting a slight bulge in the case just above the base too, so that would tend to point to the headspace issue too, wouldn't it? The bulges aren't as pronounced with this new bolt as they were with the original one.

You are dancing with the devil here! Sure the receiver may hold up. But what if it doesnt? Rebarrel the rifle or remove the barrel you have and get it shaved to remove the extra headspace then ream the chamber for 6.5 or wildcat. Since your bore is trashed as you mentioned before if you choose to throw any $$ at the rifle I would get a different barrel instead of any mods to the current barrel.

Headspace (excessive) is what causes primers consistently backed out like that. You were using factory ammo so I would not consider it overcharged on powder.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are dancing with the devil here! Sure the receiver may hold up. But what if it doesnt? Rebarrel the rifle or remove the barrel you have and get it shaved to remove the extra headspace then ream the chamber for 6.5 or wildcat. Since your bore is trashed as you mentioned before if you choose to throw any $$ at the rifle I would get a different barrel instead of any mods to the current barrel.

Headspace (excessive) is what causes primers consistently backed out like that. You were using factory ammo so I would not consider it overcharged on powder.

I'm going to check into the .257 Roberts thing. I don't plan on putting a lot of money into this rifle. It's more of a piece of my childhood memorabilia than anything. As a kid I rmember it hanging on a gun rack in my friend's basement for years (which probably explains in part at least the condition of the bore) and his dad brought it back from WWII. The Arisakas had some of the strongest receivers of any milsurp bolt gun, so I'm not overly concerned with the safety issue, especially now that I've test fired it with the new bolt. If it gets relegated to being a safe queen, that's okay with me. If I run across another Type 38 that's in good shape someday, I wouldn't mind having another one that could be a shooter, although the scarcity and expense of 6.5 Jap ammo is going to limit how much any rifle would be shot.

Top Bottom