• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I have always wanted to learn to weld and be able to weld on a firearm if needed.
    Is TIG, MIG or stick welding the most versatile and what is the degree of difficultly to learn each one i.e. is TIG welding easier to learn than stick welding, etc.

louielouie

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would say TIG would be whats used as its whats used in most manufacturing processes. TIG is the hardest to learn how to do correctly, tip and pedal controll are needed for a proper bead. MIG would be the easiest to learn.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    personally i say ARC (stick welding) is easiest (once you get the tap or scratch starting method down) allow for heavy penetration with lower amp draw... MIG next yet still easy to learn but more understanding is need to be know to do it properly you need to know how to set your shielding gas, wire speed, and heat charts are great but only a rough guideline.... TIG well let say iv been doing for 3 years now on a normal basis and still have trouble with anything other than aluminum or stainless steel but this type of welding provides the highest quality of welds

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Tig is great for small precise welds. It takes some time getting used to using the pedal. It's the way I prefer to weld though.
    not sure what brand of gun im running now ill have to look next time i use it but mine has a twist grip built into the gun so no petal makes things alot easier for larger work

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    tig is going to be your best weld. hands down
    Yes but pricey machines .... Im gonna guess and say we talking about a possible receiver re-weld project here... so where looking at a high carbon/ heat treated steel most likely... all welders noted can weld that yet with a "budget weld prob in mind or the average do it yourselfer in mind" id say touch up your arc welding skills and pick a rod suited to the metal that you will be welding... My reasoning for this is because ARC welding will give you the penetration you need making for a strong weld and most people have them because they are very affordable..... but keep in mine you still need to bevel your edges to make for the weld to lay in

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I really doubt they stick weld many firearms. :dunno:
    I was referring to easiest to learn but you would be surprised how many people use this this type of welding for receiver re welds (milled receivers of course) Check out Weaponeer.net if you dont believe me ARC welding isnt the best type of welding out there but is perfectly capable of extremely strong quality welds if the welder is properly trained

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Stick may be easy to learn, but I think MIG is definitely easier and probably better suited for use on firearms. However, TIG is without a doubt the most used and recommended weld for firearms.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was referring to easiest to learn but you would be surprised how many people use this this type of welding for receiver re welds (milled receivers of course) Check out Weaponeer.net if you dont believe me ARC welding isnt the best type of welding out there but is perfectly capable of extremely strong quality welds if the welder is properly trained

I had a welding teacher in the Marine Corp. that welded two pieces of tin foil together using a rolled-up piece of tin-foil as a rod, and an oxygen/acetylene torch.

I thought the guy was nuts when he told us what he was going to do, and while he set this scenario up. I kept thinking he was joking.

I thought he was joking, until I watched him fire up that torch and set a flame that you could barely see. I watched him lay the prettiest bead you've ever seen, and when he was done, as usual, the weld was stronger than the surounding metal.

Any weld done properly is stronger than the material on either side of the weld.
    Same thing goes for a good glue joint on wood.

:dunno:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I had a welding teacher in the Marine Corp. that welded two pieces of tin foil together using a rolled-up piece of tin-foil as a rod, and an oxygen/acetylene torch.

Any weld done properly is stronger than the material on either side of the weld.
    Same thing goes for a good glue joint on wood.

:dunno:

im glad you touched on oxy acetylene (or gas welding for everyone else) this actually is strongest type of weld a person can make there is a reason small aircraft airframes are welded this way.... yes some TIG welding is done as well but gas welding is pefered...... but in the firearm world protection against warping leads many to not weld this way cause how many of us have a annealing chamber laying around for it to cool slowly?

But for you guys that want to get technical silver solder is probly the most popular welding done on firearms

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    for firearms repairs...TIG is going to be your most versatile weld....manufacturers have other capabilities but for your own home use you should go with TIG...........before learning TIG, I highly recommend learning the basics through oxy/acetalene welding first and any good welding unstructor will teach in this method anyway...once you get the basics of welding down with "gas" then you will move onto basics of ARC, MIG, stick.....then the course will get into TIG which is sort of a combination of the others.....but learning gas welding first is really going to help you with TIG...which is what you want for gun repairs mostly

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    the vast majority of metal fusing in firearms is actually brazed or soldered. bolt handles, sights, barrels to receivers. every double barrel shotgun and rifle is soldered or brazed. welding changes the metal to much. solder and brazing doesnt change the metal. some repairs are tig.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    the vast majority of metal fusing in firearms is actually brazed or soldered. bolt handles, sights, barrels to receivers. every double barrel shotgun and rifle is soldered or brazed. welding changes the metal to much. solder and brazing doesnt change the metal. some repairs are tig.
    Right on the money..... but the type of repair and the material will ultimately decide the method to use .... thats why i stated reciever re weld for a possible ARC candidate for three main reasons (lets not forget he's wanting to learn to weld not a well schooled welder just yet)

1) low cost machine
    2) easy to use
    3) strong welds

and im not attacking TIG at all its a great method if you can afford the set up
    Those us that own welders and weld... know we are not going to spend top dollar for a welder that will use maybe once or twice
    and what you spend on one will decide just what it can weld (no such thing as one welder that can do everything) try to find a Mig welder that can weld 1/2 mild steel for less that $1,400 you might be able to find a ARC that can do that for less than $75 see my point?

if we can get the same results with out buying new equipment we may rarely use we tend to make do with what we have

Last edited:

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    If your hungry to learn TIG welding is not that hard. I learned a couple years ago. My dad is a retired welder and my buddy is a union welding instructor. Both gave me advice. I own a Lincoln Squarewave 255 TIG welder and TIG weld aluminum the most. I love my welder. Oh and TIG welding is used the most in welding guns. Netman

Top Bottom