• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Spare ammo/mags, a few parts of an MRE (depends on your distance to home from work or such), knife, small tarp, 550 cord, map (see above), fire starter, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, water (twice as much as you think you will need)

deranged222

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I would also consider the weather and keep additional clothing for the cold months. I used one of those plastic bag things you put clothes into and remove the extra air. Makes a nice small package and I change it out as the seasons change. Other than that, light, fire, food, personal protection, water... focus on the basics you would need.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Spare ammo/mags, a few parts of an MRE (depends on your distance to home from work or such), knife, small tarp, 550 cord, map (see above), fire starter, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, water (twice as much as you think you will need)
    what is 550 cord?
    what use are the petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls?

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    9V and steel wool makes an quick and easy fire starter.

hand crank light/radio, glow sticks, just depends on where you're trying to get home from. My GHB is a spare cell phone battery and a change of socks.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I see this type of thread a lot on survival boards. "I bought this pack, what should I put in it?"

That in itself is backasswards.

You should figure out what you need, then find a pack/bag to put it in.

What happens, is guys will FILL whatever bag they have. Every time. Big pack? They "need" a lot of stuff. Small pack? They figure exactly what they need and nothing more, then go out and train and practice to us those items to get home.

Sorry, didn't mean to harsh on your mellow. Carry on with the gear list.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Well I figure I NEED to not be in a SHTF situation in the first place.

Regardless, I'm just trying to keep the cost down somewhat, and I feel this is my best option for that at this point. It's better than nothing and I can always change it up later.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    9V and steel wool makes an quick and easy fire starter.

hand crank light/radio, glow sticks, just depends on where you're trying to get home from. My GHB is a spare cell phone battery and a change of socks.

works, but is retarded in my opinion.

char cloth is good and light and compact. lighters have been invented too now ;) just because your roughing it doesnt mean it has to be rough.

Last edited:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would also consider the weather and keep additional clothing for the cold months. I used one of those plastic bag things you put clothes into and remove the extra air. Makes a nice small package and I change it out as the seasons change. Other than that, light, fire, food, personal protection, water... focus on the basics you would need.

How do you keep the fire from burning up your bag?:n00b:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Whatever you need to Survive 72 hours at a Minimum, and whatever distance you might have to cover to get home...

Pack it the first time and use it.
    Then repack it and use it again...
    Repeat and rinse until you have the pack filled...

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    A bottle of Ronson lighter fluid and a roll of TP or small box of Kleenex lights a fire easily, and doesn't take up too much space. Then of course, it's just nice to have TP.:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Hey just for those wondering... I ordered a couple of the LA Police gear bags and got them in today. The are without a doubt worth the $30 paid. I put them on par with an army assault pack but they are somewhat bigger. Glad I saw the post on them and would highly reccomend them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are in an urban area some dollars in cash (buy food, take an hotel room, take a taxi ...) and a roll of quarters (to use a pay phone) could be your most used/needed items to have in your kit.
    Keep some phone numbers on a paper too, if your phone doesnt work you wont be able to access to the numbers you have in it.
    Always nedeed too: a good trauma/first aid kit.
    Flashlight with extra batteries.
    A whistle, mutlitool, fixed blade knife, leather working gloves, some snacks for energy (high in sugar) ...

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I see this type of thread a lot on survival boards. "I bought this pack, what should I put in it?"

That in itself is backasswards.

You should figure out what you need, then find a pack/bag to put it in.

What happens, is guys will FILL whatever bag they have. Every time. Big pack? They "need" a lot of stuff. Small pack? They figure exactly what they need and nothing more, then go out and train and practice to us those items to get home.

Sorry, didn't mean to harsh on your mellow. Carry on with the gear list.

Agreed. For some of us, "getting home" means hiking 40 miles through the country; for others, it could be a dangerous 10 mile walk through urban terrain. The former might need to camp a night or two, while the other may need to focus on keeping moving and self-defense. be prepared.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    short trippers

Driving a semi, I might be in Connecticut when the SHTF and have to walk home. Not looking forward to the possibility. My walk home bag is pretty fair sized. and heavy.:yesway:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Depending upon what distance you are planning to travel and what type of conditions you will travel under (city/county/on-road/off-road) you will need: shelter, food, water, self-protection, communications (not necessarily in that order). If you don't understand what these necessities are and/or how to obtain and use them, get with somebody like E5Ranger375 or 6birds who either spend alot of time hunting/camping, or have spent alot of time humping loads in the military. Then get with someone like Redneckmedic and learn about first aid/self aid. The better you understand your own requirements and basic survival techniques, the less you have to carry.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    There are many sources for the generic lists of what to put in your bag but it is your bag so whatever you think you need to get home from whereever you could be.

My EDC bag is also my GHB and sort of a BOB, it has everything I need daily and to survive to get home from where ever I go. Sometimes my work takes me over 100 miles from home on a daily basis, thus my bag has to have enough stuff to get me from there to home safely.

IMHO everyone's bag should be different, no cut and dried content list is going to fit everyone.

Use common sense..

Having water, food, shelter, communication, defense, medial, hygiene, heat (fire) are just a few areas of concern.

I did a check the other day on my bag and took everythign out, topped off used items and repacked it all and took pictures of everything. When I get time I will gladly put the pictures up.

Good luck!

Top Bottom