• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    You can get the Glock of your choice, holster, additional mags, mag pouch AND take the SO out for dinner and still be under your max price. Whether you select a Glock or one of the other fine handguns that are similar you will want to think about whether you want a sub-compact, compact, full-size or competition gun. Looking is good, handling is better, firing is best. Some ranges will let you rent guns.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You could also look at either the Ruger SR40 or SR49c depending on whether you want a full sized pistol or something a bit more concealable. That would be around $400 which would leave you money for ammo, holster, another Ruger... a lot of things. It seems that Rugers are simply overt looked here or when they are mentioned they are made out as "decent" or "solidly built but..." or some other statement that they are just OK guns. I don't see it that way myself. Ruger makes a very high quality firearm and since so many feel this way there is no "Name Tithe" tacked on to the price. I also think that so many people think that you ALWAYS get what you pay for, with Rugers usually being rather inexpensive, folks feel this means they aren't as good as the Volts, S&W and such.

Heck, what am I doing? You are all correct, don't buy Rugers. Keep that price nice and low for me so I can continue to get all the quality firearms for myself at far more reasonable prices. :)

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I'm not a .40 fan so I'll recommend the Glock 19. It's my "go to" gun, hard to beat as an all around pistol.

I did pick up a Walther PPQ M2 from another member here a few weeks ago, love the feel but haven't got it out to shoot it yet. Amazing feeling trigger.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Purpose: .40 cal for EDC and recreation.

Thats not enough information.
    edc for some is a full size for open carry, for some, it's a slim frame or compact for iwb carry, and for some, it's a small .380 for pocket carry.

You'll be most happy if you tailor the gun to the purpose at hand.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm not a .40 fan so I'll recommend the Glock 19. It's my "go to" gun, hard to beat as an all around pistol.

I did pick up a Walther PPQ M2 from another member here a few weeks ago, love the feel but haven't got it out to shoot it yet. Amazing feeling trigger.

I fondled one at the Indy 1500. Man, that ppq felt AWESOME. I'd pick one up if they made one in .45. I'm done with 9 and 40.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    PPQ is a fantastic pistol. Great ergos and an awesome trigger right out of the box. For ammo cost and recoil management, I would probably advise 9mm since with modern ammo it does the job as well as .40 with less recoil and faster follow-ups.

This is coming from a guy who just bought an old Smith 10mm, so ammo is crazy high and rare, holsters are hard to find, and it is heavy as a boat anchor.

But it shoots NUKES! LOL!

Good luck with your journey.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Good answers above, although there are so many good options you can't go wrong. Go finger a bunch up and see what fits your hand the best! My preference is something from the XD line, but that's just me. I have acquired a Kimber UCII that I'm kinda digging, though haven't gotten to shoot it yet. So for now it sits in a new holster in the safe!
    Holsters, that debate is endless. What I've found is you shouldn't cut corners. Buy something quality, you will thank yourself later. I'm 6'0", 230 and I like to carry around 4 o'clock or so. Good luck!

Top Bottom