What to do with an old rusted/pitted Colt Python.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You could probably buy a revolver that looks better for 550, but I doubt you can buy one that shoots better. Even if you end up with a grand in it, you'll have a beautiful gun that outshoots 99.9% of revolvers out there.:twocents:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Ok, hang on a sec......

There is nothing magical and no sorcery involved that makes a python shoot better than any other gun. What makes pythons pythons is the fact colt doesn't make them anymore. Prior to colt putting a halt to regular production of them in the early 2000's you couldn't give them away for $550.
    Yes, they have a great trigger pull, yes the early blued models are gorgeous, yes they have a following.... But don't for one millisecond think they shoot ant better!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    And please don't say well colt still makes them in the custom shop....

There's no magic elves there either! Just the same union labor covered under the united auto workers contract

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Ok, hang on a sec......

There is nothing magical and no sorcery involved that makes a python shoot better than any other gun. What makes pythons pythons is the fact colt doesn't make them anymore. Prior to colt putting a halt to regular production of them in the early 2000's you couldn't give them away for $550.
    Yes, they have a great trigger pull, yes the early blued models are gorgeous, yes they have a following.... But don't for one millisecond think they shoot ant better!

They don't make any snake guns anymore. Why is the python worth far more than the others? It was basically a custom gun that was hand built, not assembly line produced. That you could've bought them for less money a decade ago just means we all should have bought every one we could lay our hands on.:D

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't think the question can it be refinished to his spec, the question is financially is it worth it. And the only opinion that matters on that is the op's

I agree with this, despite the fact that my previous posts might have suggested otherwise.

Value to each individual is a subjective judgment, but market value is not.

Would it be worth more after refinishing to the market? Probably not.

Would it be worth more to the OP? He'd have to decide that for himself.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    They don't make any snake guns anymore. Why is the python worth far more than the others? It was basically a custom gun that was hand built, not assembly line produced. That you could've bought them for less money a decade ago just means we all should have bought every one we could lay our hands on.:D

Some of us did buy as many as we could! lol

DSC_0133-1.jpg

6073E084-BBE4-46A4-8166-E861BE566123-372-0000005161B9F1F2.jpg

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I would clean it up and shoot it. It is up to you but the cost of having Colt refinish it plus what you have in it, is more than what I would want. Some fine steel wool and good oil, then have fun shooting.
    You don't have to wory about scratches, holster wear, enjoy shooting.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If the grips are still nice they are worth 200.00 sell them get a set of pachmayrs on it, clean it up cerakote it and shoot it. Make sure the timing is good on it though, if that's off i'd pass.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I think I would take it apart and bead blast it and paint it up with duracoat or have it powder coated. Find a cheap way to make it look better and use as a shooter for sure. Sell the wood grips and put a rubber Hogue on it. I am sure the insides need some polishing up and relubing also.

Top Bottom