• Poll closed .

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Okay, here's my situation..

I commuted on a motorcycle when I was in college. I rode a Kawasaki Concours back then.. looking very much like this..

kawasaki_concours_2005_1.jpg

When I moved to Indiana, I sold the bike. It was a lot of machine to move around, and where I live there are a ton of gravel roads and stuff, and a big bike like that really deserves to be on the highway.

Early last summer I happened upon an old Yamaha SR500. It looks like this, basically..

smallSR500right.jpg

When I got it, it didn't run, didn't do much of anything, really.. some spit-shine and new parts and it rides, though!

Here's where it gets tricky..

There are a couple of things that are keeping it from being really, REALLY roadworthy right now.

The front brake doesn't work. I got to that part too late last year to see what the problem is. Everything seems to be there, and it may just needs some brake fluid and the lines bled. I may need a new caliper-disc-pads.

The speedometer is dead. The turn signal system relies on the speedometer to work. I haven't researched enough to see if I can just pop in a new relay to get it going or what, but even so, I still need some way to see how fast I'm going. The cable broke off inside the old speedometer, so I'm pretty certain that it's a no-go. I could do a GPS or something, maybe a magnetic speedometer mounted to the wheel..

ANYHOW..

I'm torn. I haven't been able to ride this bike enough to see if it's really what I like, and to do so, I need to put some more time and money into it.

I'd love to have a motorcycle, but I prefer a "Standard" style bike, and there aren't many out there right now. I'm not tall enough to ride an enduro, and I don't like sport OR chopper bikes to ride (They're fun to look at, though, so nothing against those who have them!!)

So, vote in the thread, and then post your thoughts.. help me decide what to do!!

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    That is one hard question. I friend of mine is going thru the same thing. He found a 76 honda in great shape. I found a guy for him who went thru the whole bike and it just keeps becoming one thing after another. He has not got to drive it over 20 miles without something new popping up. One other problem is dealer will not work on most bikes that old. It like the never ending story. And unless you have the time and ability to keep tinkering with it and it is your new hobby it's more than a pain than a pleasure.

If your thinking of selling that could mean deep down you don't need it anyway. Do you have a bunch of time to ride. Mine sits in the garage way to much it seems. I wonder if it should be sold. But on the other hand Some of the enduros out now don't set real high and are really cool. I wished I lived in a area that didn't require mostly interstate driving to get most places.

Good luck and keep us posted. It is a good looking bike.

Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    take the speedo cable off..check the drive end and make sure it will drive a new cable..if the speedo is driven by front wheel, jack bike up and spin front tire to see if drive is turning!!!! feed back!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, If you are going to keep it PLEASE fix the front brake at the very least.
    70% of your stopping power is there. You won't need it until some jerkoff
    on a cell phone pulls out in front of you, but you'll be glad you have it.
    That bike reminds me a little bit of my old Yamaha XS850. It has self cancelling turn signals. The electrics gave me fits too.

If you're not a tinkerer sell that one and if you're looking for a standard
    the Honda 750 nighthawk might be worth looking into.
    honda-nighthawk-750.jpg

I think the only currently produced nighthhawk is a 250cc for about $3600
    but you could probably get into a used 750 just as cheap.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had my decision made for me after I had a C6-C7 spinal fusion. Had to sell my beloved R6. But just from what you've posted I would be tempted to sell it and find a bike you really like. Bikes in this ecomy are becoming luxuries and there are a few good deals on used bikes out there. Once I get back to work and my bills caught up I want to look for a Honda 750 Nighthawk of a Suzuki 750 Katana. Either of those bikes would offer me a sporty bike while having a more upright riding position. IMHO... Good luck which ever way you may turn.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I couldn't care less whether you ride or not, but if you do ride, keep the rubber side down, the shiny side up, and stay away from all the things that have more wheels than you have.

It just pisses me off when people kill themselves on motorcycles.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Old bikes that were maintained well can be great! Old bikes that weren't can be money pits. If you've got the time, energy and talent to fix that bike up, by all means go for it. Parts can be difficult (impossible) to find for a Japanese bike over 1-2 decades old.

Basically, if you can do it - fix it up. If it is only going to cause frustration and keep you off a bike, sell it and buy something where you start out with a baseline of a roadworthy bike that you fix when it breaks.

Even for a returning rider, an ABATE class is a wonderful thing. I can't recommend one enough.

Best of luck and, when you're on a bike again, we'll go ride!

(Please don't ride that thing much, if at all, without a front brake. Not safe if anything unexpected happens that you can't swerve around.)

BTW - The bike does look great! England Cycles down here in Indy might be able to help. The guy is good, reasonable rates, but waaaaay backed up in riding season. Now would be a good time.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    If you like a "Standard" style, have you looked at the Triumph Bonneville?

It is a 60's bike with new technology, i love them. I own a GSX-R750 though, its crazy fast and tons of fun.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have also bought parts from Cycle Recycle in the past. Not certain if they're still here or not though.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I say sell it and buy a different bike.

Check out the Suzuki V-Strom 650. A lot of guys who had the Concours moved over to the V-Strom.

I am not that tall and my legs are not that long. A true DS bike is just a little high for me, but after sitting on a V-Strom I felt at home.

It is a little tall looking but the seat is low and the motor is bullet proof.

I have been thinking of a bike and have read a lot about the bike. Checkout Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin

-James

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, for everybody's sake, I'll tell you that I'm not riding without a front brake, so don't worry about that :)

I think I'm gonna try to bleed the brakes and see what happens. If I get that done, it's pretty good to ride, and I'll tinker around and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, well, then I'm back at square one..

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Bump - one to request more input, and one to see if anybody can tell me what Ruger7722 is saying..

get a harley and probate.the rewards are unlimited.thats why i quit.they still call though
    :scratch:

Get a Harley from probate of someone's estate after they died on it?
    It will cost less at an estate sale and you might be able to afford one?
    He used to ride Harleys and got sick of the HD salesmen calling and wanting him to buy a new one? :dunno:

His posts are rapidly becoming some of my favorites. :yesway:

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    Unless you like to wrench more than ride, get a running bike, like the 87 Yamaha Virago 700 I could sell you. I'm not into the old cruiser thing anymore. Old bikes that have sat tend to need the calipers rebuilt due to a little thing they call rust. Pull out the piston, sand it down, hone the bore, new seals. Check out Home - Old Bike Barn for brake components you might need, they offer some for my Virago, might be the same parts for your Yamaha.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've got a '76 Kawasaki as my first bike. I"m mechanically inclined, so a cheap fixer-upper was kind of a plus. I like riding and now want something bigger and possibly newer. My front brake was locked up when I first started riding, so I got good at stopping with my rear only; not a good situation. I'd try flushing it with new fluid and bleeding it out to see how ti feels. The speedo isn't a horrible thing not to have. I'd give Cycle ReCycle one and two a call for the parts for the speedo. I 've not bought from CRC-I but they tried to be helpful when I viisted them; they are slavage only. CRC-II sells new parts like electrinics, chains sprokets tires, etc as well as salvage. The main guy who works there is a font of knowledge when it comes to older bikes. I wasled in and told him I needed a new chain and sprickets for a '76 Kawasaki KZ 400 and he immediately knew what sizes I needed! He explained how a bike's electronics workd in about five minutes and I understood better than after reading the saervice manual and fiddling with my bike for two weeks! Really good guy and very helpful. Here's thier website:
    CYCLE-RE-CYCLE PART II Motorcycle Parts

They are on east 10th street in Indy. I'd reccomend visiting over calling. Like good gunshops, they get innundated with lots of phone calls asking similar questions all day, so can be a bit short on the phone.

Enjoy that older iron!

Doug K

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    I say fix it and keep it.

First, get a manual or find someone who has one.

Bleed the front brakes and put in fresh fluid and see if that fixes your problem.

You dont need a speedo or turn signals in Indiana.

Speedo cable and sending units can be found on eBay or any of the sites others have suggested.

Of course if you do decide to sell. If it has a Indiana title and runs you should be able to sell it for more than you paid for it.

I run around on an old 83 KZ550 during the summer. Of course its not exactly stock anymore.(No speedo/turn signals/horn and a few other mods)

ratbike003.jpg

Top Bottom