• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well, at that point, and since I thought I made clear that's wouldn't ask about a weapon unless I thought there was a problem, I would most assuredly pat you down. I'll give you a more recent example of a real life story: Not too long ago I tried pulling over a guy for speeding. Instead of pulling over immediately, he drove a little further than I liked, and pulled into car dealership lot. As I approach the door, he starts to open it, and I take my hand and close it back, preventing him from exiting. At this point he decided to go a profanity laced tirade and says he understands why people shoot cops. I ask for his DL, registration, and if he has any firearms in the car. He says he's not answering any questions unless I give him my DL, Badge number, and department issued ID. Well, I simply say "we're not playing this game tonight," and ask him out of the car. He refuses. I tell him he can either get out willingly, or be dragged out (by this time I have back-up). Well he gets out of the car, and is patted down.
    So yeah, nothing criminal suspected, but his demeanor and comments, made me decide to pull him out of the car. You have a problem with the way that was handled?

Nope, not at all. Just curious why you would pull someone out who simply stated they weren't obligated to answer. Your example was different.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I'd rather fill out paperwork than go to the hospital. I guess it depends on how use-of-force friendly your department is, whether you have to risk injury before you can use less lethal.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I hate myself, but I can't help it. I can't believe I'm sticking up for a JBT, let alone KUT. I think this line of discussion is complete. If I am wrong, I'm sure you will tell me.

It`s not a mandate in Indiana, so, it`s not their business. Once I had an officer ask, and all I stated was, I`m not obligated to answer that. He didn`t like it, but oh well.

My response would be the lawful order to step out of the vehicle as, for me personally, I wouldn't ask unless I think there may be a problem.

I hate to agree with Kut, But this seems reasonable.

And you're the kind of cop INGO warned us about.

FIFY

Okay, I'm out. I'm still not answering questions. Now what?

He said he wouldn't have pulled you out unless he had a reason.

Well, at that point, and since I thought I made clear that's wouldn't ask about a weapon unless I thought there was a problem, I would most assuredly pat you down. I'll give you a more recent example of a real life story: Not too long ago I tried pulling over a guy for speeding. Instead of pulling over immediately, he drove a little further than I liked, and pulled into car dealership lot. As I approach the door, he starts to open it, and I take my hand and close it back, preventing him from exiting. At this point he decided to go a profanity laced tirade and says he understands why people shoot cops. I ask for his DL, registration, and if he has any firearms in the car. He says he's not answering any questions unless I give him my DL, Badge number, and department issued ID. Well, I simply say "we're not playing this game tonight," and ask him out of the car. He refuses. I tell him he can either get out willingly, or be dragged out (by this time I have back-up). Well he gets out of the car, and is patted down.
    So yeah, nothing criminal suspected, but his demeanor and comments, made me decide to pull him out of the car. You have a problem with the way that was handled?

If you don't think that this is PC and RAS I think you are unaware of current events and most likely a mope. (This is not intended for any one poster just anyone who is a mope but doesn't realize it.)

Nope, not at all. Just curious why you would pull someone out who simply stated they weren't obligated to answer. Your example was different.

His real world example is consistent with his original statement. that he would not ask you out without a reason.

:yesway: KUT, as much as I hate to say it. Rep Inbound.

I am sorry, I have a hard time believing that iI can't rep "YOU" but the rep NAZI"S say I've got to spread it around.

Someone, please get him for me.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    At this point he decided to go a profanity laced tirade and says he understands why people shoot cops.

That's NOT relaxing.:D

First, relax. It's just a stupid IF or OV. That's it. All that will happen at worst is points on your license and payment of a fine.

Not me. If they tell you to get out of the car, get out of the car.

I do have a problem with the Supreme Court's reasoning on this. Getting someone out of the car is supposed to separate one from his weapon(s). All it does is bring the weapon(s) closer to the officer. However, reasoning aside, if the cops tell you to get out of the car, get out of the car but first . . . relax.:D

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    So no one else here tells the officer he's free to leave at any time, but does he mind if I search his car for drugs?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Blue falcon...

His original statement was that he would pull you out of the car if you stated that you weren't obligated to answer his question. His example doesn't match what he said he'd have someone get out for.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I appreciate the gesture of being informed, but it's not required (in Indiana). All I will say, is don't lie if asked.

We should stress, in Indiana

It`s not a mandate in Indiana, so, it`s not their business. Once I had an officer ask, and all I stated was, I`m not obligated to answer that. He didn`t like it, but oh well.

My response would be the lawful order to step out of the vehicle as, for me personally, I wouldn't ask unless I think there may be a problem.

Because, he thought there was a problem. He had PC/RAS before he asked the question.

I can't speak for all agencies, but at mine, running the plate will reveal if the registered owner has a LTCH. However, there are so many expired LTCHs in the system, I doubt officers check it with any regularity.

You would be wrong.

The dashingly handsome kind that women throw themselves at?

Blue falcon...

His original statement was that he would pull you out of the car if you stated that you weren't obligated to answer his question. His example doesn't match what he said he'd have someone get out for.

Kut and I seldom agree, but I do respect him. I have to say that he said he would not ask about weapons without a reason.

All of KUT's prior posts in this thread QFT.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Have been stopped by the state police and a couple of local departments as well as Porter County Sheriff in the last 2 or 3 years for speeding...(saving my clients money is an infraction?) as well as an encounter due to a fender bender the day before Thanksgiving 2015. I have NEVER been asked about being armed and I think I always was. I have never volunteered that I was armed.

Pulled over right away, at night interior light on, window down, hands on top of steering wheel, wait until I'm asked to retrieve anything.

I will add- no tickets. I suspect that being 40+, usually not looking like I'm returning from a worm wrestle and being polite, but not talkative goes a long way.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Have been stopped by the state police and a couple of local departments as well as Porter County Sheriff in the last 2 or 3 years for speeding...(saving my clients money is an infraction?) as well as an encounter due to a fender bender the day before Thanksgiving 2015. I have NEVER been asked about being armed and I think I always was. I have never volunteered that I was armed.

Pulled over right away, at night interior light on, window down, hands on top of steering wheel, wait until I'm asked to retrieve anything.

I will add- no tickets. I suspect that being 40+, usually not looking like I'm returning from a worm wrestle and being polite, but not talkative goes a long way.

Well, yeah.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think people who drive like they don't want to get where they are going should be ticketed.

...along with retired people who shop on weekends.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Did this anger you?

Why would it anger me? If anything, it made my mind go into "what's this guy trying pull mode." Many times when this happens, it's because the is trying to stash, or discard, something before pulling over. And, of course, there are those who are simply not paying attention.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There are several possibilities here. Let's look at them form the aspect of the iPhone/Droid platform in video record mode:

LEO and driver both very polite and professional, LEO issues a warning. No one ever sees the video.

LEO and driver both very polite and professional, LEO issues a ticket. Video is edited to X2 speed and Benny Hill music is added, goes viral on YouTube.

LEO is polite and professional, driver is a Sailor with Tourettes Syndrome: Video is used for training at LEO Academies around the country.

LEO is Sailor with Tourettes Syndrome, driver is polite and professional: Video is used for training at LEO Academies around the country for a very different reason. LEO transfers to Norfolk, Va where there are 100,000 Sailors and he fits right in.

Both LEO and driver are Sailors with Tourettes: NSFW video blows up the Internet. INGO split on "who's the bad guy."

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    If I'm pulled over by a LEO for speeding, he is probably right. Now, I need to decide if I would like a ticket or a warning. If I want a ticket, all I need to do is act like an ASSHAT that just received his Law Degree on the internet or when he was incarcerated the last time. If I would like a warning, I try to act like I have a little common sense, try to be polite, and treat the LEO like I would like to be treated. Hands on the wheel, interior lights on, Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank You, Have A good Day. I appreciate The Warning.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I think we can drop the mask and all agree that it is the respect that the police have for The Beard.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think people who drive like they don't want to get where they are going should be ticketed.

...along with retired people who shop on weekends.

That is a valid opinion. Talk to your rep, maybe he can get that codified.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I suspect that being 40+, usually not looking like I'm returning from a worm wrestle and being polite, but not talkative goes a long way.

Those things, plus I must look like I'm a more important person than I really am, has gotten me off with warnings (all but one verbal) the last five times I've been stopped. The last time, the nice young State Police Officer walked up to my vehicle, apologized for pulling me over, asked me if I was having a good day, I said I was, and he said "Fine then, I'll let you get back on your way". I've been told I have an honest face.

Top Bottom