• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JordanM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I am looking for a good all around shotgun that i can use to shoot stuff from squirels to rabbits to coyotes thats under $200. What would be the best shotgun for this?

Engine03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Indy
    I agree under 200.00 go with a good used shot gun i bought a used winchester ranger 1300 12ga for under 200 and love it still use it today

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Remington

take a look at the used Remington 870 s out there
    This is a great shotgun and has probably more accs than any other shotgun on the market

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    take a look at the used Remington 870 s out there
    This is a great shotgun and has probably more accs than any other shotgun on the market

:+1:, great recommendation. Hard to beat the trusty 870, you could find a decent used example in the $200 range that would fit the bill.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Mossberg 500 w/black stock is $186 at Walmart-good dependable pump gun:twocents:

great gun and you don't care if you drop it or scratch it. I have killed so many birds,varmits and such over the years with it.:yesway:

JordanM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I think i like the 12 gauges.
    How far does the Mossberg 500 at walmart shoot accurately and how big of group does it have at that range?

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think i like the 12 gauges.
    How far does the Mossberg 500 at walmart shoot accurately and how big of group does it have at that range?

That really depends on the chokes you have installed and the type of ammo. generally i dont take shots at small game over 35 yards. Bird hunting its even closer, IMHO a shot longer than 30yds is to far for me (with the exception of goose hunting then i'll go 40 yards) But like I said this is all achieved with optimal choke and shell selection, the gun in question is not the limiting factor.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Look around for a 870. You can change barrells,and have a slug gun,or just change chokes and do anything from bustin clays to huntin ducks. This is one well rounded weapon,and dependable too.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i picked up this winchester model 1300 with 3 barrels and a full set of choke tubes for around $400.00 not too long ago. i bought it used, but you would be hard pressed to tell it had ever been fired.

i bought it to serve primarily as a home defense gun. i added a shot shell sling and picked up and few boxes of remington tac8 and hornady tap 00 buck shot and it was ready to go.

but with three barrels (short "turkey" barrel for home use, rifled slug barrel and a longer "winchoke barrel") it is well suited for hunting and sporting clays or trap as well.

i suspect you could find an "as new" 1300 with a single barrel in the $200.00 range.

good luck.

ry%3D400

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Mossbergs, and Remingtons are both reliable shotguns. I have a Mossberg 500A. It has a 26" ported barrel with modified choke. Granted it's not the best close range shotgun do to barrel length. But it can be used for hunting, trap, and home defense.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    yep! you cant go wrong with the Mossberg 500 cheap & reliable will serve you well for years to come. and when you can afford it there are all kind of after market goodies out there so you could make it anythink you want when you want.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom