• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    true but only from FFL dealer. private is perfectly legal to be 18.

and im 19 and i have a LTCH and a handgun of my own and that is perfectly legal in every sense.

True but here's some advice. IF you don't have your LTCH and you're doing a private sale, get a bill of sale for the handgun. It will make things so much easier for you if you get pulled over with it on the way home and the officer sees it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Machine-Pistol-m93-raffica.jpg

where does this stand then? im guessing its under 26 but it has a stock. the stock is an add on so it never was a rifle. AOW??? this is all so confusing!!!

(disregard the fact that it is selective fire, thats not the point here)

SBR. Just like adding a stock to a Glock.

botach_2123_13080837

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    SBR. Just like adding a stock to a Glock.

botach_2123_13080837

Ok, now I'M confused. I was following this all pretty well (and learning new and confusing things) until now.
    Does the stock/SBR thing apply to any handgun with a stock, even if removable?
    The two that come to mind would be the older SA revolvers I've seen that had addon stocks (some blackpowder, and "non-guns", and some not...) and broomhandle Mauser pistols... And old Browning Hi-Powers (one featured in American Rifleman this month had a stock slot).
    I thought a snap-on/slide-on/lock-on stock just fell under "accuracy enhancement" or "gimmik" and to fall under SBR it had to be permanent?

top one in this image for an example...
    rcarbine02.jpg

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I have held the 15/22 pistol , its rear is moulded and will not accept a stock , however if you take a 15/22 rifle take the upper off of it and replace with the upper from this pistol you have a very cool SBR... Almost cool enough to buy two with a stamp and make a legal one ...WE NEVER DID THIS just sayin it would be cool

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    if they are stamped "pistol" on the reciever you're gtg. My buddy bought an AK pistol and a front grip separate and that made it an AOW.Buuuuuut when SHTF I'm pretty sure that aow/nfa/dd/sbr and all that crap is gonna go right out the window. Build it, take pictures, and then take it all back to it's legal specs lol

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Does the stock/SBR thing apply to any handgun with a stock, even if removable?

Generally, yes. In order for a stock to legally be attached to a pistol, said pistol must be registered as an SBR. It will then retain this status even with the stock removed.

The two that come to mind would be the older SA revolvers and broomhandle Mauser pistols... And old Browning Hi-Powers

Many guns like that are of sufficient age to be classified as "curios & relics" and have been specifically removed (as in, by name) from the purview of the NFA.

So even though it is a 3-round-burst firearm, it is still classified at an SBR?

No; as a previous poster stated, it would be a machine gun, and machine gun trumps everything else.

Clear as mud?

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I believe the ATF covers intention as well.

Meaning if you own the pistols don't buy the stock or forward grip unless you have a rifle version for them. Owning the parts to make something an sbr or an aow. Puts you in a position to defend your intentions from them if ever they were to become involved.

So no pistols with an extra upper or parts that could readily convert your AR pistol into an SBR or AOW unless you have them for a separate AR rifle since that would be your defense against intent.

Taking a really cool picture of your homemade SBR and AOW is enough to land you in loads of trouble. Including fines and jail time if prosecuted.

Judges and jurors love busting up illegal gun rings especially since the laws are so convoluted.

These laws are crazy and very vague while the atf has broad powers and the ability to force you to defend your intentions at great legal expense in a court with jurors who have no hope of understanding these laws and your freedom hangs in their hands.

Look how confused this thread is and imagine being a defendant in court over it.

Until these laws are removed or fixed some gun parts have the potential to ruin our lives and submitting approval from the very agency that polices these laws is no guarantee from prosecution.

Crazy scary if you decide to purchase pistol versions of rifles you must be extra vigilant and always cya with accessories.

BATFE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. THESE LAWS MUST BE FIXED OR REMOVED.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I believe the ATF covers intention as well.

Meaning if you own the pistols don't buy the stock or forward grip unless you have a rifle version for them. Owning the parts to make something an sbr or an aow. Puts you in a position to defend your intentions from them if ever they were to become involved.

So no pistols with an extra upper or parts that could readily convert your AR pistol into an SBR or AOW unless you have them for a separate AR rifle since that would be your defense against intent.

Taking a really cool picture of your homemade SBR and AOW is enough to land you in loads of trouble. Including fines and jail time if prosecuted.

Judges and jurors love busting up illegal gun rings especially since the laws are so convoluted.

These laws are crazy and very vague while the atf has broad powers and the ability to force you to defend your intentions at great legal expense in a court with jurors who have no hope of understanding these laws and your freedom hangs in their hands.

Look how confused this thread is and imagine being a defendant in court over it.

Until these laws are removed or fixed some gun parts have the potential to ruin our lives and submitting approval from the very agency that polices these laws is no guarantee from prosecution.

Crazy scary if you decide to purchase pistol versions of rifles you must be extra vigilant and always cya with accessories.

BATFE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. THESE LAWS MUST BE FIXED OR REMOVED.

im not bashing you but where'd this come from?

i just wanted to know the reasoning behind my OP. im not sure why this turned into an atf conversation.

i dont own one of those and i dont plan on it. its just every time i go to cabelas i see one and never understood why it was a pistol.

but that is good information regardless so thank you for adding. :rockwoot:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    im not bashing you but where'd this come from?

i just wanted to know the reasoning behind my OP. im not sure why this turned into an atf conversation.

i dont own one of those and i dont plan on it. its just every time i go to cabelas i see one and never understood why it was a pistol.

but that is good information regardless so thank you for adding. :rockwoot:

Sorry not trying to ATF hate as much as it seemed.

The laws governing the pistol and application of these laws gets ugly with so many misconceptions and several posters were getting into gray areas so I slipped into panic mode.

The way the laws are written someone unknowingly could land themselves in prison over a $10 piece of plastic just for owning it. Never using it just possession. That is scary in the extreme.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Sorry not trying to ATF hate as much as it seemed.

The laws governing the pistol and application of these laws gets ugly with so many misconceptions and several posters were getting into gray areas so I slipped into panic mode.

The way the laws are written someone unknowingly could land themselves in prison over a $10 piece of plastic just for owning it. Never using it just possession. That is scary in the extreme.

no no i get that. im glad you added the intent thing cause i didn't know that existed.

im just glad you didnt accuse me of being ATF, for asking a simple question, like someone else did.
    so for that i thank you:rockwoot:

Top Bottom