What kind of grips do you have on your 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If there is one thing I dont like about the 1911, and that's one of the reasons why I dont have one (yet) is that you can custom the grips.
    Why do I not like that? :dunno:
    Because I cannot decide what kind of grips I like, and I would probably have to buy one new pair of grips everyday, once I decide that I dont like the older ones.
    How do you 1911 owners do it?
    Do you always keep the same grips on your gun, do you own 50 billion pairs of grips and change them every two minutes, do you change them once a while, do you just leave the grips off, did you just sold your 1911 to buy a Glock because you couldn't figure out which one you liked?

That's one problem you dont have with other kinds of pistols.

So, what kind of grips do you have on your gun(s) right now? :)

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I own three 1911`s and I run factory colt rubber wrap around grips on all of them.I bought my first 80 series 38 super almost twenty years ago and they came factory on it and loved them. My buddys get a set of these and take a razor blade and cut off the front of the grip off and it drives me nuts.I buy every set I see that is priced right.I guess most guys dont like the grip being bigger where they wrap around the frame but i have changed out many a set of expensive wilsons to put these on over the years.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I don't have any problem leaving the stock ones on, most of the time. Only real reason I can come up with is I'd rather spend the money I would spend on grips in another way. Way too many expensive habits.

I did have a 70s series Cold Lightweight Commander once that I put Hogue wraparounds on. I liked the feel. But I got rid of the gun and got my Kimber Pro Carry. That particular one (bottom in the picture), I changed the basic rubber panels out for green tinted wood ones. Think they are sharp. Tried Warrior grips on it once, but liked the wood look better.

picture.php

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Right now I have GI style brown plastic. I am going to make some this winter for changing out from time to time. I have cherry, black walnut, oak, and this fall's deer to dress up the 1911 with.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I really like the pachmayr with finger grooves. I put them on and like the feel in hand...gotta go to the range to see how I like shooting with them.

I see it like changeable backstraps on gen4 glocks/m&ps...changes should be done to give a secure grip. If I like the pachmayrs I might try some thin grips next :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Right now both my 1911's are wearing aggressive textured grips. I like the really gripy grips, the kind you get a really good hold on. Like the VZ alien grips. But they are not great for carry because if you don't use the right kind of holster that ruff surface can rub you raw.

Compromise are the Raptor nylon 15% glass filled grips you can pick up on eBay for about $25. Great feel, good grip texture but not as abrasive as VZ aliens. If I don't use the real gripy textured grips then plain old rubber grips work best for me, the kind without the finger groves.

All the above grips are for working, shooting. I also have some custom grips I use when I want to just dress up the 1911's, you know, when I take them out for dinner and a movie.

So to address the OP's concerns how do I do it? I have a box with about 10 -15 sets of grips I have accumulated over the years, but I keep textured grips on my guns for use.

I'm not sure which guns have more accessories available Glock or the 1911 platform but I do know that you can get grips for the 1911 in a vast array of materials and customized any way imaginable. You could go broke just collecting grips for the 1911.

I never use stock grips, its just not what the cool kids do.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Currently, my SIS has the original grips. I love them...

Thought about getting these to save the wood ones some wear...

And then, I see these from VZ Grips (damn them!!!)

So, in short, I have the same issues as you do, OP.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Rosewood G.I. grips. It had the original plastic-ish grips and they didn't last all that long (gun was made in 1953).

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Black Hogue rubber grips for now, I'm thinking about ordering some cobra skin grips within the next couple of days

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    The nice thing about 1911 grips is that there is no shortage of choices. Here are a few of mine. And I do occasionally change them out.
    400205530.jpg

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I made these from a cutting off of a big Redbud tree in our backyard. Made them a bit thinner than the originals and a bit flatter. I'm making a couple more sets now. One set for my son's 1911 and a set for a guy who just happened to see mine during a lunch while I was OC'ing in Greenwood.

picture.php

picture.php

I'm going to make a few more with checkering, free hand carving, inlaid stuff too. It's addicting...I've got your situation only in reverse. I've got to buy a couple more 1911's just to fit my grips to. I'm thinking about hanging out my "shingle" as I'll be making other custom grips for different pistols and wheel guns.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    My SW1911 is currently wearing a custom set of very grippy Larry Davidson G10 grips with a S&W M&P logo in it. Great guy to work with, with make just about anything you want. :D

SNV11333.png

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Sweet Esmerelda

I recently purchased a Kimber Stainless TLE II (LG) and the nice guys at Indiana Gun Club swapped out the Crimson Trace "standard" grips for a pair of G10 Master Series grips..very nice. In browsing various forums looking for custom grips I came across the Esmerelda website and ordered a set. I will try to post photos some time later. This is my first post as a member. I hope the initiation isn't too difficult. Glad to be a member. :patriot:

Top Bottom