What isn't great on the History Channel? Religon!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Great show so far, but what on the History Channel isnt great.
    ...anything on the Christian Church or history of the Bible! They always talk to liberal theology professors who don't believe the Bible and it makes me crazy!

This question was asked on the Top Shot thread. I just couldn't leave it unanswered, but I didn't want to spam that thread.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yep, I've been getting riled up about that for several years myself. The dopes that they interview always come off as if they are a little bothered by the fact that they have to straighten out those who do believe in the bible.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    What shows are you guys talking about?
    It's been a few years since I had cable so it's hard for me to remember specifics. I remember one of the shows was taking a look at Miracles in the Bible. Not one of the "Theologians" that they talked to really believed in miracles. Believing in miracles is a pretty central part of the History of Christian theology, if you ask me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What shows are you guys talking about?

I would assume things like mysteries of the bible or banned from the bible. Lots of shows asking the question about if something is possible or looking into the origin of the story.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I agree 100% with the OP...I stopped watching them, some of them even go so far as to try an get you to believe some things didn't or couldn't happen. An they never seem to be very accurate with any of the stories to begin with....it almost like watching pretty much any of the TV preachers...after about 5 min I find myself pulling my hair an screaming....seems long ago they all made since an I would of probably liked the History channel on religion more....but after you dive into the Bible for yourself, alot of the other stuff just doesn't ring true anymore. Could we please get a channel when presenting something from the bible, that they actually would use the bible....?

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Could we please get a channel when presenting something from the bible, that they actually would use the bible....?

Lee Strobel has his own show called Faith Under Fire that actually addresses these very issues. It's pretty good from what I've seen. He addresses a lot of misconceptions about Christianity, like Jesus being a copycat myth, and disciples hiding his body. I don't necessarily agree with starting a Christian channel, because it will probably lose viewership, and people like Kirk Cameron will probably become involved with his banana argument.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4]YouTube - Kirk Cameron And Bananas[/ame]

:rolleyes:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I agree 100% with the OP...I stopped watching them, some of them even go so far as to try an get you to believe some things didn't or couldn't happen.

You mean like the whole born of a virgin thing? Or the walk on water thing? Or the coming back to life thing? Those crazy bastards trying to get you to believe things that couldn't happen! <- :D:D You walked right into that one.

As far as kirk cameron....nothing could be a better way to completely misunderstand science than his croc-a-duck idea.

634010455693402360-heykirk.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    If you want to learn about Christianity - READ THE BIBLE.

Quit going to church, and allowing the Church to shape your views.

I am interested in the Bible and Christianity in a Theological historical sense, I am always amazed when I learn something Churchanity WILL NOT talk about regarding Christianity.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Biblical stories are fact, an history....but not all men have faith to believe.

Reading the Bible for ones self is priceless. I think Abraham Lincoln said.."Self education makes great men." The problem with many churches, groups an individuals including myself being guilty but I'm learning, is that we sometimes try an build the bible an christianity around our politics, our faith, our mindset....when I believe the Word of God should come into our lives an influence our politics, our faith an our mindset.....an the History channel seems to keep falling into the first.....

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    One pretty good documentary that I have seen on Cable as well as network TV, is the study of the Shroud of Turin, which is purported to be Jesus' burial cloth. IIRC, it's been updated a couple time over the years, as various technologies have become available to perform tests. The first time I saw it, evidence was pointing to it being "the real thing", then some data was interpreted to say that the cloth dated from the Middle Ages. The last time I saw it, some scientists used 3D topology to analyze the markings on the Shroud and came up with something resembling the Roman historical description of Jesus to a remarkable degree. All this science aside, "Faith is believing in things unseen" and I know what I believe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    History shows should be based on historical fact. Not biblical stories.

Brother, aside from the communist properganda. From my studies, the bible is infact quite historically accurate.

These have been of my own research, and abit unbias to a degree.

If your research Sumerian mythology, the Bible does start to make alot more sense.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Brother, aside from the communist properganda. From my studies, the bible is infact quite historically accurate.

These have been of my own research, and abit unbias to a degree.

If your research Sumerian mythology, the Bible does start to make alot more sense.

I just don't turn to the Bible for historic facts. Different strokes for different folks.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I just don't turn to the Bible for historic facts. Different strokes for different folks.

That's too bad. If you take the time to read it, comprehend it, and learn, you'd be surprised at the solid FACTUAL history that you will learn from the Bible. The most interesting aspect of the Bible to me is the history contained within it.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Also, the way they idiotically use the Gnostic Gospels astounds me. I can't stomach watching a show by them that has to do with a religion. I get frustrated as I sit there and shoot down the inaccuracies one by one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)

I understand, and to a degree I can certainly see your point of view with abit of agreement.

General public:

We must accept that we live in a world, today. Which is activily seeking to undermine Christianity and it's principle heritage.

I've seen several times where mythology has been vendicated by science.

PP, whats wrong with the gnostic's?

Top Bottom