• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have not yet gotten into reloading. I'm CLOSE, I have MOST of the "starter" equipment.
    I have a customer who has some reloading supplies left by her late father. She has shown me an ingot of what appears to be lead, but I suspect it's NOT pure lead. A thumbnail will NOT touch it. A utility knife will scratch the surface, but not dig in easily. The ingot has a color similar to lead, but maybe a bit more of a silver hue. I'm sure it has an alloy, but I don't know what.
    Ingot size is 4" long X 2" wide X 1" high and about 1 pound? (just guessing)

Would it NOT be a good idea to try to use it to cast bullets without knowing it's composition? Since it came from his reloading supplies, I'm assuming that is it's intended purpose.

I guess, after smelting, you MIGHT get 1 dozen bullets of .357 or .44 (once again, just guessing)

What would a pound of quality reloading lead be worth?
    Thanks

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can test hardness with this MidwayUSA - Lee Lead Hardness Testing Kit or products like it. One pound=7000Gr so 7000/240gr.=29.16 bullets give or take.
    Thanks for the link. That looks easy enough.
    Have any idea what an ingot of lead would go for?
    I think this girl wants to sell this, among other stuff, but I think she thinks it may be worth something.
    I'm guessing just a few bucks. Am I wrong?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    tin?

If it's that hard it might be pure tin?
    I have no clue how to tell if it is or not, but it is possible that he had a stash of pure tin to add hardness to his metal... you know, 10 lb lead to 1 lb tin or something along that line.
    I've had some wheelweight metal that was hard as all get out, much more than normal WW metal, I separated it out to cast rifle bullets with gas checks thinking it might be better for that.
    anyway, if it is tin it is worth a premium over lead of course.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It is most likely wheelweight alloy which was free and plentiful in years past, but is vanishing now. Harder than regular lead. I see it sell in ingot form for .60 to 1.00 per pound depending on quantity and shipping.:)

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    A friend gave me around 300 Speer .535 Rd. ball I think they are for 54cal. muzzle loader, would these make good cast material ?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    A friend gave me around 300 Speer .535 Rd. ball I think they are for 54cal. muzzle loader, would these make good cast material ?

Normally muzzle loader round ball is a more "pure" lead form. Meaning it would be too soft for standard smokeless gun bullets. In this case I've mixed wheel weights and soft lead for smokeless bullets. normally 8 parts wheel weights and 2 parts soft lead.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    That's interesting, I will probably never use these, they are free if someone has a use for them, my location Muncie.

Top Bottom