What is happening in America? My thoughts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What we see in our current culture is a movement to de-legitimize our long standing American belief system.

Constantly eroding, these three unique ideals embody the historical American experience:

(1) dynamism (support for entrepreneurship and economic progress, including the changes economic progress yields, and support for equality of opportunity for all individuals to participate in this process)

This is being replaced with the idea that equality of outcome is more important and that Capitalism is the oppressor of the people. Promotion of the "oppressor" and "oppressed" classes and legislation to correct this perceived ill as a means to achieve social good has slowly replaced the idea that we are each responsible for our own decisions and behavior, good or bad, and that our decisions determine the course of our lives.

(2) religiosity (the idea that freedom is only possible to a moral citizenry, that moral values have their origins with God, that character development should be an important component of education, and that social problems should be addressed at the local level through the voluntary associations of men and women of good will and character)

As Jebediah Morse (July 23, 1761 – June 9, 1826) expressed, "To the kindly influence of Christianity we owe that degree of civil freedom, and political and social happiness which mankind now enjoys. . . . Whenever the pillars of Christianity shall be overthrown, our present republican forms of government, and all blessings which flow from them, must fall with them."

The morality of Christianity has been under attack, successfully, for decades. To fill the void, the idea that man can socially engineer a favorable outcome as a result should come as no surprise.

(3) patriotism (love of country, and support for Constitutionally limited self-government and the rule of law).

Next vilified is patriotism. Indoctrinated through the "long march through the institutions".

"I do not stand for the National Anthem at sporting events," said Steven Johnston. "I remain seated. And I have been doing this since college. And the reaction is hostile."

Johnston teaches political theory at the University of South Florida. He is outnumbered, but not alone, in believing that patriotism is actually a bad thing - harmful to democracy. (CBS)

The concept of patriotism as love of country, has been erroneously supplanted by these "professors" with the idea that patriotism is only following your leaders with blind obedience.

The current path we have been taking and are rocketing towards as a nation is not the path that brought us to become a leader of world ideas some decades ago. Both parties, along with the popular media, are moving us along with abandon. I fear that there is little that can overcome this disastrous path.

Do I worry needlessly? I think not. In a system where educators cannot educate, not due to a lack of funds, but due to political correctness, unions, and a failure of what is truly needed to teach our children how to learn. In a society that progressively rejects the idea that there is something greater than man. In a society that is growing to reject the common good for the good of select groups. In a society that grows to accept the Federal Government as the answer to all problems. In my opinion, we are losing America. I think I have plenty to be concerned about.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    [...]
    (2) religiosity (the idea that freedom is only possible to a moral citizenry, that moral values have their origins with God, that character development should be an important component of education, and that social problems should be addressed at the local level through the voluntary associations of men and women of good will and character)

As Jebediah Morse (July 23, 1761 – June 9, 1826) expressed, "To the kindly influence of Christianity we owe that degree of civil freedom, and political and social happiness which mankind now enjoys. . . . Whenever the pillars of Christianity shall be overthrown, our present republican forms of government, and all blessings which flow from them, must fall with them."

The morality of Christianity has been under attack, successfully, for decades. To fill the void, the idea that man can socially engineer a favorable outcome as a result should come as no surprise.
    [...]

I agree with you on the parts I've omitted in my quote. I don't fully disagree with the part I've quoted, but I submit the idea that perhaps it is less that Christianity is under attack and more the idea that perhaps those who militantly insist that their belief is the only correct one which therefore must be forced upon others whether they like it or not, "for their own good" in an effort to "save their souls".

To my way of thinking, with which you have every right to disagree, it is no more correct nor respectful of our Creator to attempt to deny others the free choice of belief without the imposed morality of any group than it is to deny Christians the right to practice their own faith for themselves and for their own underage children. In your above quoted paragraph, you refer to character development being an important component of education. I agree. This part of a child's education needs to happen at home, however, not at the government schools. To do otherwise leads us to the issue of mandatory school prayer, which if we wish to reimpose, begs the question of "whose prayer?" A schoolteacher has a captive audience and should he or she happen to be of some belief other than Christianity, how is it proper or possible to attempt to force the "accepted" prayer to be one which respects only the Christian tradition?

No, I think it is less that Christianity is under attack and more that many of it's practitioners need to remember that their belief is not correct solely because it is theirs, any more than anyone else's is incorrect solely because it is not Christianity.

Again, the above is my opinion. You do not have to share it.

Blessings,
    B

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Let's just say that the morality of religious belief is under attack. Separation of church and state has morphed into the absolute ban of religious influence in or on Government, which is what, I believe, Jebediah Morse alludes to, though his focus is Christianity. It is Christianity, by the way, that was practiced and believed in when this country was formed.

Your reference to those that wish to force their beliefs on others still have to deal with freedom of religion, so I don't think that is an issue, other than some people being louder than others. I have seen no reference, other than political and popular diatribe, to anyone that has been forced to believe in any particular religion. The opposite is true, that people are being pilloried for believing in a particular religion, whether it is Islam or Christianity. Prayer, when adopted in school, is optional and not necessarily Christian. Even this is unacceptable now to many.

I am not talking about forcing anyone to teach religion in school and I do not believe my piece comes to that conclusion. What I am trying to convey is that it is this very "lack" of church and religion which function as the moral educator for the community that will deleteriously effect the future path of our nation. It is from those moral underpinnings that we, as a nation, have become the most giving people on earth. Since this country was founded with Christianity, that is the only religion that would be under attack to get out of Government. The void is filling with belief in anything.

Last edited:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I agree with you on the parts I've omitted in my quote. I don't fully disagree with the part I've quoted, but I submit the idea that perhaps it is less that Christianity is under attack and more the idea that perhaps those who militantly insist that their belief is the only correct one which therefore must be forced upon others whether they like it or not, "for their own good" in an effort to "save their souls".

To my way of thinking, with which you have every right to disagree, it is no more correct nor respectful of our Creator to attempt to deny others the free choice of belief without the imposed morality of any group than it is to deny Christians the right to practice their own faith for themselves and for their own underage children. In your above quoted paragraph, you refer to character development being an important component of education. I agree. This part of a child's education needs to happen at home, however, not at the government schools. To do otherwise leads us to the issue of mandatory school prayer, which if we wish to reimpose, begs the question of "whose prayer?" A schoolteacher has a captive audience and should he or she happen to be of some belief other than Christianity, how is it proper or possible to attempt to force the "accepted" prayer to be one which respects only the Christian tradition?

No, I think it is less that Christianity is under attack and more that many of it's practitioners need to remember that their belief is not correct solely because it is theirs, any more than anyone else's is incorrect solely because it is not Christianity.

Again, the above is my opinion. You do not have to share it.

Blessings,
    B

You took the words right out of my mouth.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    What is happening to Ameriac?

I see both of your sides but I do think that America's foundation is heavily Christian. I have studied other religions and I do not see much of their influence in the founding of this nation. I think it interesting that when our nation was first founded there was not alot of freedom and prosperity in the world and not long after our founding the world was trying to emulate us.
    The very point of following a religious belief system is a great thing. I however think it doesnt make any sense to not profess your religion to your fellow man. IMO if we "secretly" practice our religion whatever it maybe it becomes void and then you might as well not pactice any religion at all. I will always tell others about my religion because it has changed me for the better and makes me a more peaceable person. Jesus is my God and always will be.
    I have sat through academia and listened to the Christians are hyopcrites and ignorant all my life. I do find it interesting that whenever someone in a secular classroom says they are wiccan,muslim,newage,etc there is no controversy but if I stand up and profess Jesus there is immediate ridiculing and eye rolling,debate,etc. This reaction only proves what my Bible says and that is that men will be easily offended in these last days.
    I truly believe we are all of one blood and should love one another but I want everybody to experience the power I have felt following the Lord
    The professing of our religion is IMO the most pure American right we have. Thanks for listening to my rambling. Great post and subject.:patriot::)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Let's just say that the morality of religious belief is under attack. Separation of church and state has morphed into the absolute ban of religious influence in or on Government, which is what, I believe, Jebediah Morse alludes to, though his focus is Christianity. It is Christianity, by the way, that was practiced and believed in when this country was formed.

Your reference to those that wish to force their beliefs on others still have to deal with freedom of religion, so I don't think that is an issue, other than some people being louder than others. I have seen no reference, other than political and popular diatribe, to anyone that has been forced to believe in any particular religion. The opposite is true, that people are being pilloried for believing in a particular religion, whether it is Islam or Christianity.

I am not talking about forcing anyone to teach religion in school and I do not believe my piece comes to that conclusion. What I am trying to convey is that it is the "lack" of church and religion which function as the moral educator for the community that will deleteriously effect the future path of our nation. It is from those moral underpinnings that we, as a nation, have become the most giving people on earth. Since this country was founded with Christianity, that is the only religion that would be under attack to get out of Government. The void is filling with belief in anything.

Ban of religious influence in or on our government? The President is sworn in with his hand on a Bible. The Congress opens with a prayer. The Supreme Court is opened with the prayer, "God save this honorable Court!" Courts swear in witnesses on the Bible. The SCOTUS building has depictions of various legal figures, not the least of whom is Moses. Many government buildings still have depictions of the Ten Commandments as part of the buildings in which they're housed.

There is no law attempting to force people to believe a particular way, no. My reference was to very vocal individuals, as you echoed, who cannot seem to understand that how each person approaches God is no one's business but his own. To miss that point, whether against Christian, Muslim, or anyone else, is wrong, IMHO.

Some of our Founders did believe in Christianity, yes. Similar can be said of England from whom we broke away. Today, there have been successful efforts in England to supplant Her Majesty's courts with those that recognize Sharia law (for Muslims). I am of the opinion that we should use the basis in morality we find (individually) in our religions to guide us in our decision-making as citizens, as jurors, as legislators, or as executives, if chosen to serve in any of the latter three roles. That a man runs for public office as a "Christian candidate" is no more appropriate than that he runs as a "Black candidate". Neither has any bearing on his function in the office to which he aspires.

In short, I think we're saying the same thing. I am simply of the opinion that telling everyone I meet all the details of my relationship with God is necessary at about the same time I tell them that I carry, what kind of pistol and where and when. It's a private matter, and none of anyone else's business.

Blessings,
    B

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I see both of your sides but I do think that America's foundation is heavily Christian. I have studied other religions and I do not see much of their influence in the founding of this nation. I think it interesting that when our nation was first founded there was not alot of freedom and prosperity in the world and not long after our founding the world was trying to emulate us.
    The very point of following a religious belief system is a great thing. I however think it doesnt make any sense to not profess your religion to your fellow man. IMO if we "secretly" practice our religion whatever it maybe it becomes void and then you might as well not pactice any religion at all. I will always tell others about my religion because it has changed me for the better and makes me a more peaceable person. Jesus is my God and always will be.
    I have sat through academia and listened to the Christians are hyopcrites and ignorant all my life. I do find it interesting that whenever someone in a secular classroom says they are wiccan,muslim,newage,etc there is no controversy but if I stand up and profess Jesus there is immediate ridiculing and eye rolling,debate,etc. This reaction only proves what my Bible says and that is that men will be easily offended in these last days.
    I truly believe we are all of one blood and should love one another but I want everybody to experience the power I have felt following the Lord
    The professing of our religion is IMO the most pure American right we have. Thanks for listening to my rambling. Great post and subject.:patriot::)

I've seen the same thing in classrooms and elsewhere. I don't think you should be ashamed of your religion at all (i.e. that you should hide it), nor do I think it should be the be-all and end-all of every subject. (not to say that you do this. Some do, and sadly, they are the ones whose behavior leads to the eyerolling and ridicule.

One question: "...I want everybody to experience the power I have felt following the Lord"

How do you know others have not? I was not raised in a Christian house, but I have had experiences I can attribute to none other than the Lord God, our Creator. I hold Him in the highest reverence, despite not calling Him by the same name you do. Neither of us is wrong, and both are right. There is only one God. What name we call Him is immaterial. He knows to whom we're talking when we address Him. (My daughter, when very young, saying her prayers before bed, would recite, "...guard me, Cheezit, through the night..." prompting my wife to become very frustrated:xmad:, teaching and reteaching the pronunciation (say Gee... say zuss.... Now say "Jesus"? "Cheezit.") until I finally said what I said here: "I think He knows His name.":chillout: Shortly thereafter, she stopped saying her prayers to a cheese cracker. ;))

Blessings,
    B

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    What is happening to America?

It's a private matter, and none of anyone else's business.
    -Bill of Rights
    I agree in certain circumstances but let me give some experiences I had.
    I do alot of door knocking with my church which is knocking on people's doors and inviting them to church. About half invite us in and most agree to a bible study. It ends either 1 of 2 ways.1 us a person gets agatated and we leave but I take happiness because a seed has been planted and alot of these same people end up at an altar and make a personal choice to follow the Lord and their homes and lives are changed. The other way it ends is the person breaking down and crying, repenting,etc and they tell us their fear living in these current times.
    I have had people stop their cars and yell obsenities at me for talking to a person on our local square about God.
    I think these times are the perfect time to tell everyone about the love of Jesus because there are people selling drugs to our kids, media pushing dangerous sexual lifestyles, brainwashing by our social institutions,etc. Our children are being stolen out from under us and this "make your own way in this life" is giving us nothing but bad results. I believe my "religious views" may get one more addict off drugs, one more marriage healed, one more confident and caring child and a society that is not at war with themselves. If we believe that our religion will help our country and community then IMO it is our responsibility to make it be known. Just my .02.:)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ban of religious influence in or on our government? The President is sworn in with his hand on a Bible. The Congress opens with a prayer. The Supreme Court is opened with the prayer, "God save this honorable Court!" Courts swear in witnesses on the Bible. The SCOTUS building has depictions of various legal figures, not the least of whom is Moses. Many government buildings still have depictions of the Ten Commandments as part of the buildings in which they're housed.

You are pointing out the vestiges of Christianity in Government. Let that same president say he wants to do something because he believes the Lord wants him to, and see what happens. Many of those buildings were built during a period when Christianity was accepted in our government. There are now many fights going on around the country to remove such icons. I believe the interpretation of the separation of church and state has been taken to an extreme.

There is no law attempting to force people to believe a particular way, no. My reference was to very vocal individuals, as you echoed, who cannot seem to understand that how each person approaches God is no one's business but his own. To miss that point, whether against Christian, Muslim, or anyone else, is wrong, IMHO.

Or you might say, thick headed. There is also free speech. Neither you nor I may enjoy listening to someone proselytizing, but there is no law against it.

Some of our Founders did believe in Christianity, yes. Similar can be said of England from whom we broke away. Today, there have been successful efforts in England to supplant Her Majesty's courts with those that recognize Sharia law (for Muslims). I am of the opinion that we should use the basis in morality we find (individually) in our religions to guide us in our decision-making as citizens, as jurors, as legislators, or as executives, if chosen to serve in any of the latter three roles. That a man runs for public office as a "Christian candidate" is no more appropriate than that he runs as a "Black candidate". Neither has any bearing on his function in the office to which he aspires.

The point is that the moral underpinnings for our country came from Christianity, which was widely accepted by almost all of the founding fathers. You might even say that it has precedence in government due to history.

In short, I think we're saying the same thing. I am simply of the opinion that telling everyone I meet all the details of my relationship with God is necessary at about the same time I tell them that I carry, what kind of pistol and where and when. It's a private matter, and none of anyone else's business.

Blessings,
    B

No need to tell everyone, nor must we be put in the position to be fearful of telling. I just see the erosion of this moral base, founded in religion, as the danger. Man alone is not the wisest to trust with that kind of power.

Hey, thanks for the thoughts.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I am an "older generation". As I grew up, people were allowed to express their religious views about something, or decline to do so, without condemnation. NO ONE was selfish enough to say that I don't like what you said - so don't say it again. They either expressed their views (respectfully), or let it pass.

There WAS a time when we respected each other and the rights of others.
    Then POLITICALLY CORRECT became the thing to be. My definition of Politically Correct = LIE! I will NOT lie to please anyone! I may either not speak at all or may "skirt around the issue", if necessary. But, if you (whoever) don't like what I said, live with it! You will survive and prosper despite what I, or anyone else, says. (And, undoubtly, even forget what I - or anyone else - said) Or, you just might benefit from what was said - even if you didn't like it at the time. Constructive criticism is positive.

Now, you aren't allowed to criticise (correct) someone for fear of offending them - which could be the worse thing one can do to them.

I'm too old to change now. And if given a chance, I will "teach" the "old ways" to anyone I can.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Political Correctness seeks to impose a uniformity of thought and behavior on all Americans and is therefore totalitarian in nature. Its roots lie in a version of Marxism.

In Marxist-Leninist and Trotskyist vocabulary, the term "correct" was commonly used to describe the appropriate "party line", often called the "correct line".

Makes me sick.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't know. I think PC-speak more has it's roots in something most of us learned when we were younger-tact. That is, it's true to say that that man over there is really really FAT! but while a 3-4 year old can get away with it, s/he will be quickly shushed by the nearby parent, much to the child's confusion. Later in life, a man asked the perenially "female" question, "Do these pants make my butt look big?" will be wise to answer not "Oh... only as big as a house..." but rather "Um... The black ones you had on last week look better."

The goal is similar; to not offend someone. The difference is that PC takes it to extremes, such that even a completely true statement, intended without malice or intentional offense, is not only taken as impolite and rude but even legally actionable. As an example, three years ago, had someone written on a wall "F**K BUSH!!", it would have been rude, it would have been actionable because it was defacing someone's property, but that would have been the end of it. If upon the same wall today, someone was to write, "F**K OBAMA!!", there would be talk of it being a "hate crime".

Similarly, if I have some reason to want to use a pejorative term for a Black person, to keep the discussion PC, I have to make reference to "the N word". No such restriction exists on the terms, "wop", "chink", "spic", "honky", "cracker" or my personal favorite, "Wundabread". Forgotten is Jesse Jackson's reference to NYC as "Hymietown". You can only be a racist, apparently, if you are Caucasian, much as you can only be sexist if you are male.

Hoosier8,
    The depictions upon buildings are only one facet of what I mentioned, and GWB DID and still does have policies in place due to his own personal religious beliefs. Stem cell research comes to mind.
    It's similar to our state senator, Ron Alting, who last term assured two of his constituents that he was absolutely behind a very pro-2A bill that he later voted against. His reasoning when asked was that he "voted as a parent, not as a legislator".
    Yes, you might say that Christianity has precedence. You'd be incorrect, but you might say it. ;) (sorry, couldn't resist) All kidding aside, the Establishment Clause clarifies that issue completely: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." No religious belief or organized religion has precedence. None at all. Personally, I agree that morality is declining in our society, and I further agree that the effects of its absence are very obvious. The problem is that those who need to be teaching morality, the parents, have in far too many cases never learned it themselves. How does one teach what s/he has never learned?

Blessings,
    B

newindy05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Freedom

[/B“If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.” –Thomas Jefferson
    “I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a monied aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.” –Thomas Jefferson
    “We have in this country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks. Some people think the Federal Reserve Banks are U.S. government institutions. They are private credit monopolies; domestic swindlers, rich and predatory money lenders which prey upon the people of the United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers. The Federal Reserve banks are the agents of the foreign central banks. The truth is the Federal Reserve Board has usurped the Government of the United States by the arrogant credit monopoly which operates the Federal Reserve Board.” –Congressman Louis T. McFadden, Chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee, addressed the House on June 10, 1932:patriot::ar15:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    When I say that PC is wrong, I am not saying that one should go out of his/her way to say something nasty about someone/something else, but one should not lie either.

Another example of PC is in the school system. A child is not allowed to be told that he/she "failed" at something. Many of them are even "passed" on to the next higher grade so that the child wouldn't feel inferior to his/her classmates (or embarrassed) - even if that child misses too many days (and in no way could have learned the lessons necessary to advance) because he/she misbehaved and was "suspended" too many times throughout the school year.
    How many people "graduating" from HS are unable to read?

Another: when picking teams for school "contests", often the teacher will choose the teams, instead of allowing the children to do so. Can't have a child feel badly because he/she can't compete for whatever reason! (Health, weight, bad eyesight, uncoordinated, not a fast runner, can't hit a ball, make a basket, etc.)

This doesn't allow for a child to work to improve his/her ability in an area where the child would really like to contribute. All others are forced to perform to their lesser abilities so that the "outsider" can keep up.
    (I was very short in grade school, so I was never chosen for basketball, BUT, I was able to run fast, so I WAS chosen for baseball.)

Children aren't allowed to excell in their best suited activity, because ALL the children are expected to participate in the same areas.

The really bad thing about the PC garbage is that the child is not stupid! He/she KNOWS that he/she is not good at something and was "chosen" because the others were FORCED to choose him/her. That child would be much happier if he/she was allowed to do what he/she does best and not forced to do what he/she is not interested in. But PC rules!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Morality is in decline. It would be my guess that it has more to due with the erosion of the family, than it does with Christianity being attacked. As Bill of Rights said "The problem is that those who need to be teaching morality, the parents, have in far too many cases never learned it themselves. How does one teach what s/he has never learned?"

The parents don't teach morality because they don't live it. The children learn all the wrong lessons in life when families are in turmoil or ripped apart.
    A divorce is easy to obtain. A marriage is even easier.
    I think divorce should be much harder to obtain. What does divorce teach our children? When the going gets tough we just quit. Maybe it teaches them selfishness, because after all if you find something you like better you can just do what you want to do. I know many many people who thought it was going to solve all of their problems, to only later regret what they did. When children are not involved it is different.
    I have been married for 25 years. You can't be married that long and not go through periods where you don't like each other very much. The key is to remember what brought you together in the first place. A marriage is not something you get, then put on the shelf. You must nurture it for it to grow and stay strong.
    Today though it seems that an oath or a vow means little or nothing.
    My children are now 20 and 17, I see in their actions and the way they communicate with others the values they learned from my wife and I by example. I never had to tell my children "This is how you have to behave", I showed them through my daily living.

On the PC BS, I look at it this way. I'm not going to go out of my way to offend anyone so I expect them to not go out of their way to be offended by anything I might say.
    It seems in todays world no matter what you say, you cannot sanitize it enough to not offend someone. I will not alter my behavior or language because, someone might be able to read something into what I said, which wasn't what I said at all.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    [...]
    I have been married for 25 years. You can't be married that long and not go through periods where you don't like each other very much. The key is to remember what brought you together in the first place. A marriage is not something you get, then put on the shelf. You must nurture it for it to grow and stay strong.
    Today though it seems that an oath or a vow means little or nothing.
    My children are now 20 and 17, I see in their actions and the way they communicate with others the values they learned from my wife and I by example. I never had to tell my children "This is how you have to behave", I showed them through my daily living.

On the PC BS, I look at it this way. I'm not going to go out of my way to offend anyone so I expect them to not go out of their way to be offended by anything I might say.
    It seems in todays world no matter what you say, you cannot sanitize it enough to not offend someone. I will not alter my behavior or language because, someone might be able to read something into what I said, which wasn't what I said at all.
    Congratulations on your 25 years. This is an accomplishment of which you and your wife can be proud. You're correct that divorce is too easy. There are times that it is necessary, say, in cases of abuse, and in those cases, I think that God forgives the breaking of a vow. For my part, however, I know the promises I made before Him, and while there are times things get tough, I know that I would be living up to what I think He expects of me nor what I expect of myself if I ignored any part of my vows. This is the lesson children need to learn in re: marriage. It's not "till inconvenience we part". They need to know that life is not like the Special Olympics, where "everyone's a winner". A friend of mine is known for quoting, "Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child." and truer words or better advice I've never heard. Most striking is the fact that this man has no children of his own. You can't forever shield them, nor should you. Instead, teach them how to confront the world head on, grab life by the... um... horns.... ;) and master it. Let your word be your bond, and respect will come your way unbidden because you've earned in your own eyes the jewel of SELF-respect, not that worthless rhinestone substitute, "self-esteem", which you get for doing nothing in particular.

This is what our parents were supposed to teach us and what we're supposed to teach our kids. Sounds like there're a few out there who've fulfilled their responsibilities.

Blessings,
    B

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am an "older generation". As I grew up, people were allowed to express their religious views about something, or decline to do so, without condemnation. NO ONE was selfish enough to say that I don't like what you said - so don't say it again. They either expressed their views (respectfully), or let it pass.

I don't know. I think PC-speak more has it's roots in something most of us learned when we were younger-tact. That is, it's true to say that that man over there is really really FAT! but while a 3-4 year old can get away with it, s/he will be quickly shushed by the nearby parent, much to the child's confusion. Later in life, a man asked the perenially "female" question, "Do these pants make my butt look big?" will be wise to answer not "Oh... only as big as a house..." but rather "Um... The black ones you had on last week look better."

Maybe it is age but I keep wondering what ever happened to self control and personal responsibility? One of the things that I remember being taught was the old saying, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me." Believe it or not, that takes care of any problems with Political Correctness and it used to be common sense. Of course, common sense will tell you to be careful with your woman, LOL.

Hoosier8,
    The depictions upon buildings are only one facet of what I mentioned, and GWB DID and still does have policies in place due to his own personal religious beliefs. Stem cell research comes to mind.

Yes, GWB at least has the courage of his convictions stemming from a moral teaching, something Americans are very uncomfortable with for some reason. The fight over life is one of the battles being fought due to the lack of moral teachings. I lived through the time of Roe vs Wade and the fight was over when life is life. Man decided that it was after the third trimester, then it was expanded until partial birth. I have always found this disturbing so went on a quest to determine when life should be life. I stumbled upon Albert Schwitzer. He went through the same quest and decided the only way settle it in his mind was by declaring that , "all life is sacred". From there you must decide, with great deliberation, when you take life, and you must at times for defense and for sustaining life. I found this belief very comforting. You can argue that GWB isn't doing that with Iraq, I can argue the decision he came to is just the opposite, to save more lives in the long run, the results not withstanding.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom