• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    My favorite would have to be the Walther P22. Mine was a little finicky with ammo when new, but aside from that, it's a joy to shoot.

I really prefer the Browning Buckmark over the Ruger Mks. They're both similar in accuracy, but the Browning seems to be more trouble-free and the grip is more comfortable to me.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    I had a Ruger Mark 3 Hunter nice looking and accurate. I just got bored with it. I would recommend them. Taught a few people to shoot with it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm thinking about buying a .22 handgun soon. the only .22 handguns I have shot before have been revelovers. Has anyone had expericence with .22 semi-autos, good or bad. Thanks for any help you can give me.:ar15:

I've not seen anyone ask what you intend the gun for. Target? Deep conceal carry? Hunting?

I love my Buckmark for Target and Hunting.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't own a 22, but I'm planning on getting one soon and have done plenty of research. I've narrowed my selection down to a Ruger MK II/III or a Browning Buckmark, based on other people's opinions (I haven't had a chance to shoot either yet). Hope it helps.
    I bought a MK III stainless steel with a plastic frame. Had a lot of feed issuse and had to send it back. Still had issues. So I requested a replacement with a metal frame. Ruger swaped it our and now it shoots fine. This is just one experience and I'm sure many have had lots of trouble free shooting with MK III's with plastic frames. I just had a bad experience. Love my MK III now especially the wood grips and 5 inch fluted barrel. When I was having problems, the forum memebers were very helpful, in recommending that I should have purchased the Browining Buckmark. So it is good that you ask before the purchases. I would definately consider the Browning but make up your own mind.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own both a Browning Buckmark and a Ruger Mark I and also owned a Mark III and they are all great guns. Guess you must have had a lemon. Saying Rugers are not good guns goes against the opinion of the vast majority of gun owners, :dunno:

It was a joke. I have never owned a Ruger, but have shot them. However I have seen several Rugers, while at the range that people had feeding problems. A lot of people also say buy a 10/22, but I will never own one. It's a personal prefrence.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I sold a Ruger Mark III 22/45, bought a Cadet conversion kit for my CZ P01. Best 22 pistol I've ever shot. Dead on accurate (without touching the adjustable sights) and I'm still waiting on a malfunction. Czechnology.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ruger Mark II.

DSC01187.jpg

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I owned a S&W 22A standard barrel that was fantastic - for the first 200 rounds. After that, it became incredibly picky about ammo, would FTE at least once a mag no matter what was done to it. I traded it off at a steep loss on a 10/22 carbine.

I'm back in the market now and I'm debating between the Mark III 22/45, P22, and Mosquito. The P22 has my eye although i'm sure it'll be nowhere near as accurate as a Mark III.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    How about the Beretta Neos? I hate the looks but the price is right, and I can convince myself to love something that's fun to play around with.

Have one - and like it... so far so good. Puts lead on paper and the 10 year old loves the thing. Only problem I've seen (and I've heard other reports of this as well) is that the rear sight likes to unscrew itself and drift over as you put rounds through it...

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I bought a Ruger MK 1 in 1972 and love it. It cost me all of $34 at the time. I've shot more rounds through it than any other gun I own. Doing a clean up afterward is still a bear though. It isn't a quick and easy job

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Got a Buckmark Field 5.5 (bull barrel, a Ruger Mk II Competition Target and a S&W 22A. The Buckmark and the Ruger are a toss-up. Both are very accurate and have good triggers and sights. Choice would be decided on feel and other subjective data. The 22A is good too but not in the same league as the Browning or Ruger.
    If you are in the Indy area, you're welcome to try them.
    I wouldn't make a choice without trying as many as possible. Some people love the feel of the 22A, I find them very uncomfortable. It all depends on you.

rsadwa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger 22/45 Mark III that shoots very accurately ... at least for my adult sons (they always out shoot me!) I looked pretty hard a Buckmark Camper a while back before I settled on the Ruger. I suspect that I would have been happy with it also. No problems with the Ruger, but it did take me a few times before I could field strip and reassemble the gun without %#!*#:):

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I have a Ruger standard automatic(Mark 1) bought used in 1967 and it's still going strong.

Finish is getting pretty thin :D

Steve

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Recent production Walther P22's are good guns.
    P22veridian.jpg

The Ruger MKIII is excellent as well.
    101_0930.jpg

I have this same gun (the walther), the viridian laser is made specifically for it and is brighter than any laser I've ever seen, day and night. Paid 309 for the p22 recently and got the laser on ebay for 135. buy them now for 165ish. Great piece, extremely accurate. only issue is no high cap mags yet only followers and the slide doesnt lock back with them. i use cci quick shock in this. :yesway:

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    i've got a s&w 22a that i like a lot. i'm approaching 1000 rounds down the pipe with minimal troubles (a few ftf's that i blame on the ammo i was using). inexpensive, accurate enough for plinking around, and well balanced and comfortable for me.

i've shot the p22 a bit as well. solid feeling, shoots good. seems like they are a bit more complicated to strip, but i haven't personally gutted one so i can't totally attest to that.

the ruger mk's are solid as well. if you can find a slabside on the cheap i'd go with that (<$250). they are good pistols and they hold their value. once you tear it down a couple times you'll get the hang of how it operates. i picked one up at an estate auction awhile back and don't think it had ever been cleaned. i gave it a good once over and took it out for a drive and was impressed with the accuracy but didn't care much for the weight of the thing.

ooooh the decisions...

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Ruger MKIII HUnter is awesome. Great sights and the option of putting on red dot/scope. The only thing about the MKIII I didn't like was the LCI but that is easily modified...

Top Bottom