• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    But if you have it networked like that, EVERYONE can watch....

If they can get through my security, yes they can. But I am using commercial equipment, not standard consumer grade stuff. Two firewalls on my network, and a commercial server. Certainly someone who is savvy enough can break though anything, but to suggest that EVERYONE can watch is a huge stretch of the imagination.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Adding a second video system, this will extend the camera view to cover my spare garage/workshop and surrounding area. A buried ethernet cable connects it to my home network so I can view all the new cameras from any computer screen, my iPhone, iPad, etc. Some of the cameras on the garage/workshop will overlap with some of my main system cameras giving me better coverage.

Even if your CMX cable is armored (or foil shielded), it can be susceptible to lightning strikes. Either protect the ends with proper RJ45 lightning arresters or switch to MultiMode fiber instead.

(and on your other post, I hope you were talking about a 'real' stateful inspection firewall and not some 'ritter that does network address translation--NAT 'routers' can be externally traversed..not like a *nix based firewall that actually tears down and rewrites each packet).

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Bought a few more food Preps. Rice, Water, can goods. Planning on getting my water filter in the next few weeks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even if your CMX cable is armored (or foil shielded), it can be susceptible to lightning strikes. Either protect the ends with proper RJ45 lightning arresters or switch to MultiMode fiber instead.

(and on your other post, I hope you were talking about a 'real' stateful inspection firewall and not some 'ritter that does network address translation--NAT 'routers' can be externally traversed..not like a *nix based firewall that actually tears down and rewrites each packet).

WOW....................

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Its a special direct bury ethernet cable, but instead of direct bury I actually ran it in a plastic pipe, the run is about 150 over to the other building, its about 8" underground, in the pipe, and its direct bury rated cable.

As for the firewall, its a commercial grade high security system I had from one of my businesses, certified for use with my bank, so I presume if it meets banking regulator standards for commercial banking its significantly more secure than an internet router from Best Buy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Its a special direct bury ethernet cable, but instead of direct bury I actually ran it in a plastic conduit pipe, the run is about 150 over to the other building, its about 8" underground, in the pipe, and its direct bury rated cable.

As for the firewall, its a commercial grade high security system I had from one of my businesses, certified for use with my bank, so I presume if it meets banking regulator standards for commercial banking its significantly more secure than an internet router from Best Buy.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    After having to throw out several pounds of noodles due to a moth infestation, we bought sealed glass canisters to store noodles in.

Eggs from moths and weevils often come right in grains and grain products, ie flour, cornmeal, rice, wheat, etc. That's why your mothers and grandmothers used to sift flour for recipes.

With modern bleached flour, it's not usually a big problem because the bleaching gas fumigates the flour.

An old Mormon friend of mine once told me that before putting their long term storage stuff into 5 gallon buckets they would put a small piece of dry ice into the bottom. The CO2 off-gassing from the dry ice would kill the critter eggs in the stored products.

I've never tries this, but it seems to make good sense.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Eggs from moths and weevils often come right in grains and grain products, ie flour, cornmeal, rice, wheat, etc. That's why your mothers and grandmothers used to sift flour for recipes.

With modern bleached flour, it's not usually a big problem because the bleaching gas fumigates the flour.

An old Mormon friend of mine once told me that before putting their long term storage stuff into 5 gallon buckets they would put a small piece of dry ice into the bottom. The CO2 off-gassing from the dry ice would kill the critter eggs in the stored products.

Apples work as good as the dry ice and is far easier to handle and procure... :popcorn:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

I really have no idea where you got this info, but it is NOT true. The eggs from grain moths are too small to even see with the naked eye and would pass right through any sifter. Many things that are baked still require sifting today in order to "turn out" properly. Sifting serves a couple of purposes, one is to break up any clumps so that the flour or meal will mix completely, another involves sifting several dry ingredients together as part of the mixing process and yet another is to aerate or fluff the flour/meal for measuring purposes. You got the rest right though, the eggs come right out of the field in many cases. Freezing for a few days or microwaving for a few seconds works well also.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not looked deeply enough into the options available to the users. Did not even know you could do an ignore. I have got to get my computer skills up to speed.
    You fellas are making me work at this..........:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom