What happens to your gun once you use it in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im not sure if any of you ever had to use their gun in a self defense situation, by that I just not mean drawing your gun (it's usually enough to stop a bad situation and make the BG think twice about hurting you), I mean shooting at someone to defend your life.

You are at home, someone breaks into your home, you can legally make the shot, then you call 911 and the police gets to your home.
    What's next?

Even if everything looks like a legitimate self defense situation they will take your gun away from you right?

Then what happens?
    They keep it for a few weeks, maybe months, for ballistic tests?
    Do you get it back if everything is legitimate?

Im not sure what happens in a scenario like that, but I dont see many people talking about it so I thought I would bring it up.

If you carry a $3000 custom pistol you may think about what will happen to your gun once you use it to defend your life.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've never had to shoot anyone, but I hear it rusts away in the evidence room for a substantial amount of time (however long the investigation + trial takes).

Hopefully I'll never had to find out from experience.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've never had to shoot anyone, but I hear it rusts away in the evidence room for a substantial amount of time (however long the investigation + trial takes).

Hopefully I'll never had to find out from experience.

Do people even get them back? :dunno:

I guess as long as im not taking away with my gun I would be glad, and glad to be still alive after I had to use my gun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't care what happens to it. Me and Mine are alive. Getting it back would be bonus.

If all is legit and you're cleared of all charges, I would say it should come back to you. Might take a long time.

Carry gun is 100% tool. Just as if I saved my life w/ a monkey wrench, getting it back would be bonus.

-rvb

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't care what happens to it. Me and Mine are alive. Getting it back would be bonus.

If all is legit and you're cleared of all charges, I would say it should come back to you. Might take a long time.

Carry gun is 100% tool. Just as if I saved my life w/ a monkey wrench, getting it back would be bonus.

-rvb

I agree with you, im just curious.
    If I did nothing illegal I sure hope I can get my tool back though, I wouldn't call it just a bonus.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Do people even get them back? :dunno:

I guess as long as im not taking away with my gun I would be glad, and glad to be still alive after I had to use my gun.

As long as it is determined that it was a good shoot (SD) then you will get it back. If they determine it wasn't SD, well you have bigger problems than worrying about your firearm.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The gun is put into evidence until the prosecutor decides if there will be charges brought against you. If it is a clean shoot, 100% clean, you will get your gun back in about a week. I had a friend (term used loosely) that fired his weapon and didn't get his gun back for 8 weeks, while the prosecutor decided to press charges. If you have charges brought, you may never get it back, unless you are aquitted.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I have a friend whose son used his gun to commit suicide, the gun was held until the investigation was complete and it was determined that death was caused by a self inflicted gun shot. The gun was returned to the owner, who had the gun destroyed. The same will hold true with any shooting, once the investigation is complete and it is determined that there will not be charges filed, the gun will be returned to it's rightful owner, it can sometimes be a very long process.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    The moral of this story is, make sure its a clean shoot and you have nothing to worry about.

And make sure you have another gun to stay armed.

That's what I was going to say, too.

One step further: you might want to make sure that you have TWO of whatever you use as your EDC. If it gets confiscated for a while, you'll still be able to grab your second one so that all your accessories still fit and your training is still relevant.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have two G19's, just dishwasher guns, if ever in a shooting the LEAST of my concerns would be loosing my weapon for 6-12 months or life...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have two G19's, just dishwasher guns, if ever in a shooting the LEAST of my concerns would be loosing my weapon for 6-12 months or life...

What's a dishwasher gun?

Do you mean the least of your concerns would be losing your weapon because you know you have a second one? Or do you mean that you won't care if you lose it because you'll just be glad you're alive?

As you can see, I clearly have no idea what you were trying to say…

Top Bottom