What happens to your gun once you use it in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have an additional 9mm just for this reason. I EDC a M&P9c, and have a Glock 19 in the safe, with another holster.

If you have a gun for self defense/home defense, it's very smart to have a backup. It can be taken away after a self defense situation, and/or it could malfunction. It's always smart to have a backup somewhere.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Getting the firearm back is not 100% true. My brother loaned his pistol to one of our friends that, at the time, just got back from Iraq and was waiting for new firearm purchase to go through. He got pulled over and firearm was confiscated. The prosecutor charged him for improper handling of a firearm, even though he had a army license and was secured legally by the state of OH rules. He was of course acquitted and when my brother tried to get his firearm returned the police informed him it was "destroyed" and could not provide paperwork on when it was scheduled for disposal or when it was "destroyed".

Now we all know one of the LEO's probably "destroyed" it into his back pocket or something, but he never followed up on it because to get a small claims case against the city/county/state would have exceeded the cost of the firearm in question so just chalked it up to bad luck.

Side note, buddy did buy my brother a replacement.

Last edited:

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Good point. From some of the horror stories I've heard after a firearm gets confiscated. I'd keep my high priced weapons in a safe and use something you don't mind forfeiting, or reblueing. An old used 12 guage loaded with 00 Buck would work. Or maybe a machete.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    once a gun gets a taste for blood you have to put them down, or they start randomly shooting at women and children. They can't be trusted once they get the blood lust.

Top Bottom