• What Gun Should I Buy Next?

• Total voters

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    So, I'm fairly new to guns -- been learning and shooting for about a year now. I currently own a Glock 19 (for carry and home defense), an H&R Handi-Rifle in .44 Magnum (for Deer), and a Marlin 81 (old Marlin .22 for plinking and cheap practicing). I just bought the Marlin last week and will pick it up in the next day or two. I expect to do a lot of practicing with it during the next year to improve my marksmanship (hopefully will do an Appleseed, too). I also hope to do a basic pistol course this year. I have appx. 600 rounds of 9mm, 100 rounds of .44 and a brick of .22 on hand.

So, what should I buy next? Funds is a huge issue, being as I have low cash flow and kids to feed. I have about $400 I can spend right now, or I could save it towards something in the future.

I know a big part of it boils down to what do I want and what am I looking for?

I don't feel the need for anything further for home defense or carry -- I feel that my Glock 19 is ideal for that purpose. I can't carry on IU's campus (where I work), and anywhere else I carry I have no problem with the 19. I also love the Glock and have no desire to own anything in .45 ACP or a 1911 or an H&K or anything else. I'm sure that will change someday, but for now I'm happy with my Glock. I don't have night sights or a tac-light for the Glock, however, and that is something I've thought about getting.

I am drawn to the idea of getting an older mil-surp rifle like a Mosin-Nagant, Mauser, Garand, etc. I love history and would love to own a piece of history. Big price difference there, of course, from the Mosin Nagant I can get for $100 down the street to the Garand which is $500-1000 depending on grade. I have no attachment to any particular one of these historical rifles, and so would lean toward the Mosin Nagant on price.

I would like, at some point, to get a rifle for home protection in disaster situations where law enforcement wouldn't be able to reach me for days at a time -- earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. An AK or AR would fit this description. I don't have the $$ for either, but could save toward it. If I wait until next Spring or Summer, ARs may have come back down in price -- heck people might be selling them for a loss if they bought too many then lost their job, etc. So, there's that.

I would like a gun that is somewhat versatile and that is fun to shoot at the range (which is where it will get the most use). And, whatever I get should be a good core piece to continue to build a collection around. I am only 27, and God-willing I will have a long life to collect and shoot guns (and teach my kids how to shoot), so I don't need to get everything now.

Ok, so I know YMMV, IMHO, it's all a matter of taste, it depends on what you want, etc. etc. I've told you a little about what I'm interested in, now you tell me what you think I should do! Of course, I'll make up my own mind in the end, but I'm trying to draw on the wealth of information on this board. I'm leaning toward Mosin-Nagant + 440 rds of ammo for it -- and then a sore shoulder! Josh McKee's post about the Saiga he's thinking about getting got me thinking that "hey, I don't even know what all is out there." So tell me!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I would like a gun that is somewhat versatile and that is fun to shoot at the range (which is where it will get the most use). And, whatever I get should be a good core piece to continue to build a collection around. I am only 27, and God-willing I will have a long life to collect and shoot guns (and teach my kids how to shoot), so I don't need to get everything now.

maybe a Springfield scout squad or socom 2. very versatile and fun to shoot.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm leaning toward Mosin-Nagant + 440 rds of ammo for it -- and then a sore shoulder! Josh McKee's post about the Saiga he's thinking about getting got me thinking that "hey, I don't even know what all is out there." So tell me!

A Mosin Nagant is the only (reasonably affordable) rifle I've ever seen anyone shoot, and then laugh (I'm not counting expensive full-auto stuff or anything like that) . If you watch the video of our INGO Mosin shoot, about all we're doing is shooting and then laughing. That said, because of the recoil, you'll get tired of it after 40 or 50 rounds, so it's not necessarily an all-day range gun. If you want an affordable plinker that you can continue to customize, it's hard to go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. That and a scope should be within your price range.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I am in the same boat as you, low funds, kids to feed, etc.

IMO buy what you want, I know its a hard decision but it comes down to what you want.

What I am looking at is getting more ammo and working on my shooting skills with the guns I have.

I did however buy a Mosin recently. I bought it for a few reasons. One they are cool, two this forum will brain wash you, and three I didnt have a high power rifle and an AK or AR is out of my $$ right now.

I havnt shot the Mosin other than about 10 rounds, but I am confident between that, my 1911, and my 870 I could defend the house for a few days.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you want an affordable plinker that you can continue to customize, it's hard to go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. That and a scope should be within your price range.
    I'm with Scutter. Might add a Ruger 22 pistol to the mix. Way easier to maintain a regular quality practice program when you don't have to figure in $10-$20-$30 worth of ammo costs every trip.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Heck, if funds are limited I'd suggest taking that $400 dollars, buying some basic reloading equipment for your 9mm and .44 Mag, buying some powder, bullets, and primers, and shoot more with what you've got. A 9mm, a .44 Mag, and a .22 makes a decent array of guns to practice with and develope expertise with.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    buy a lever gun in .44mag. two rifles, one caliber.

Along those same lines, you could try a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. A hunting rifle and revolver, one caliber.

I just did a quick Google and was able to find some for under $400.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Lots of people voting to save for an AK or AR, but nobody giving their reasons...

I like the suggestion of a .44 revolver. My family owns a piece of property out in Montana and some day I'd like to have a .44 to carry for bear protection on hikes. Was looking at the Taurus Tracker series. Ruger Blackhawks look like great guns.

A Ruger .22 pistol is another interesting suggestion. Would definately be good for practicing and plinkin'....

Keep 'em comin....

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Lots of people voting to save for an AK or AR, but nobody giving their reasons...

I like the suggestion of a .44 revolver. My family owns a piece of property out in Montana and some day I'd like to have a .44 to carry for bear protection on hikes. Was looking at the Taurus Tracker series. Ruger Blackhawks look like great guns.

A Ruger .22 pistol is another interesting suggestion. Would definately be good for practicing and plinkin'....

Keep 'em comin....

Be cautious with the suggestions on this or any other gun message board.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...is_there_aa_for_impulsive_handgun_buying.html

The disease is VERY contagious!!!!

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    As a new firearms owner, I was thinking my next purchase (since I bought my first gun, Glock 23) would be a 12 gauge shotgun for home protection.

From my research it seems to be the gun of choice for protecting your home and family.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    I'm in a similar situation as you, though came from the opposite direction. Bought a Remington 870 12ga once i was 18 for deer and rabbit hunting, then went to college and could barely afford a box of shells. That was it until we built our house in the county, then i took up bow hunting, tried a muzzleloader, acquired an old Noble single shot .22 rifle that my grandpa probably bought for next to nothing at an auction and then swapped my .45-cal muzzleloader for a Remington nylon semi-auto that i knew i would get a whole lot more use out of. Then I bought one of those NEF Handi-Rifles in .357 for my kids to deer hunt with. That was followed rapidly by a Remington 11-87 semi-auto 20ga, as well as a Mossberg 500 pump 20ga.

Now I've got the itch for a handgun, which is back where you started. I don't have a taste for high-dollar guns, though i did drool over a sweet Benelli Montefeltro at Cabela's. I would go for a Remington 870 in 12ga.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A 12 ga. shotgun combo is my suggestion. I am assuming you have enough magazines for your G19 (by enough I mean at least 6 standard mags and a couple of 33 rnd G18 mags). If not, I'd make finishing your G19 magazine stock part of this exercise as well.

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Ummmm you know a fun gun to shoot and cheap is the Walther P-22, I have one and love it, you can usualy get one at or under 300..... R

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A good AR 223 rifle and a 45 ACP pistol are two mainstays for any collection. There are numbers of good posts on this Forum as to the manufactures to think about.

Good luck with your next gun purchase. Have fun doing it too.

Glocker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Given the choices I would get a Mosin nagant. They are very fun to shoot. You could spend 100 on the rifle, 200 on ammo and still have enough left for 3 or 4 mags for your G19.

Top Bottom