What format does a video need to be to uploaded to INGO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What's the secret? I've tried 4 different formats and it won't accept any of them? Trying to upload a vid from the EDC match.
    I've always used YouTube to upload personal videos. Load to YouTube then share link here. I'm sure there's easier ways but I'm not that tech savvy when it comes to this

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've always used YouTube to upload personal videos. Load to YouTube then share link here. I'm sure there's easier ways but I'm not that tech savvy when it comes to this
    This. Storage here is incidental and only recently a thing. Just a couple years ago you were very limited on space and had to use picture hosts to link pics here until TK was gracious enough to allow us to upload pics directly.

I'm sure he'd go broke buying storage to let us store video here, so yeah. You need to post in youtube and then link the video here.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Why have I started getting “you have to sign in to prove you’re not a bot” messages on recent YouTube video posts? That just started in the last few days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why have I started getting “you have to sign in to prove you’re not a bot” messages on recent YouTube video posts? That just started in the last few days.
    I haven't gotten that, but I have started getting ads on the videos that people post here. Never used to get those until just recently.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    This. Storage here is incidental and only recently a thing. Just a couple years ago you were very limited on space and had to use picture hosts to link pics here until TK was gracious enough to allow us to upload pics directly.

I'm sure he'd go broke buying storage to let us store video here, so yeah. You need to post in youtube and then link the video here.
    Man, I'm really thankful for not having to deal with picture host sites. If TK ever complains about needing hard drive space for pictures, we need an immediate group buy for more hard drives for him.

As for videos, videos are freaking huge. Even YouTube uses many levels of compression to get it done. If anyone is really interested, this video goes into detail over how crazy video compression is and why it's needed.

The TL/DR is simply videos, especially uncompressed video, are really big. The amount of bandwidth just for YouTube alone if it was streaming uncompressed would be roughly 30 pbs (Peta-Bits per Second), while the global bandwidth is roughly 1.2 pbs. MP4 files for example are somewhat compressed and are lossy. Viewing and scrubbing uncompressed 4K video for example requires a somewhat powerful GPU and CPU (the 4K videos most people stream and view are anything but uncompressed). Most CPUs and GPUs actually have physical hardware dedicated just to decoding and uncompressing image and videos.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    An example of how powerful compression is. Take this image of a .50 BMG pistol for example:
    Thunder_50.jpg
    This image is 720 pixels by 479 pixels saved at 8 bits per channel (24 bits in total as there are three channels: Red, Green, and Blue) with no alpha channels. The uncompressed file size is 1,057 Kilo-Bytes. The compressed JPEG is 47 Kilo-Bytes (only 4% of the uncompressed size), and we could go even further with the compression, though the quality would degrade further.

Top Bottom