what do you want to see in a scope test?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive done scope tests in the past, including but not limited to shooting them with a 12ga, throwing them in a pond, draging them behind a utv, using them as a hammer, etc. im looking for new ideas. what would make you say "thats a great scope".

let the descussion begin.

here is a couple ive done in the past to give you a idea of what im talking about. the test does not have to be abuse related. ive done box tests but those get boring to watch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihh-P1tdeZo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vsKYqZb1Hk[/ame]

alliclaytor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Northside
    A few thoughts would be the 1" box test after the fact (4 clicks up, left, down, right) to ensure that 1/4 moa/click is accurate. A long term test by burying under ground or in the water for a long period of time. You did a pretty amazing job on the first destruction test though.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A few thoughts would be the 1" box test after the fact (4 clicks up, left, down, right) to ensure that 1/4 moa/click is accurate. A long term test by burying under ground or in the water for a long period of time. You did a pretty amazing job on the first destruction test though.

both of those tests are good ideas. the box tests i have done in the past were bigger. i dialed 3 moa up and right, 6 moa down, 6 moa left, 6 moa up, 3 moa right and 3 moa down. but its the same princible. the only problem i have with the test is it makes for such a long video.

as far as the burying the only issue with that is how do folks know kept it buried? thats the biggest issue with doing these videos, everyone thinks your trying to trick them. on the swarovski test with the paper target i was told i photo shopped the target to make the second hole. then somone pointed out you could see the small peice of paper shoot off behind the target.

keep the ideas comming.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    Have someone pitch it and hit it with a baseball bat, hit it with a golf club, drop a cinder block on it.Throw it out of a car while driving...then run it over with the car.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Recoil, lots of it.

I'd think some sort of fixture to hold a barreled action, with a standard Picatinny rail atop.

Shoot your square on your test rifle, pop off a few mounted on the recoil fixture, then put it back on the test rifle and shoot the square again?

If your fixture and load remained consistent, might be a pretty decent test.

Come to think of it, I remember someone with a video of a recoil sled at SHOT back in the early 90's. The scope was attached to a fixture, hinged about 3/4" of the length back from the middle of the scope body. What appeared to be a pneumatic cylinder with an angled ram on it slammed the forward part of the fixture that was cut at a matching angle, forcing it up - and quickly. It wasn't US Optics, and they were about the only ones there in the custom scope game then - must have been a Leupold/Burris/Weaver/Redfield, I wouldn't have wasted any time at others displays back then.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    You can beat the hell out of a scope if you want, but to me that is not the way we treat our scopes in the real world. Test or report on chromatic aberration, if it has crisp image edge to edge, focusing mechanism, eye relief, turret style, graduations, parallax setting or adjustments… You can read specs all day, but a report on how you feel about the true optical function of the scope is more important than how far you can drag it behind your truck. :twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You can beat the hell out of a scope if you want, but to me that is not the way we treat our scopes in the real world. Test or report on chromatic aberration, if it has crisp image edge to edge, focusing mechanism, eye relief, turret style, graduations, parallax setting or adjustments… You can read specs all day, but a report on how you feel about the true optical function of the scope is more important than how far you can drag it behind your truck. :twocents:

I just want to know if the eye relief is constant or not at the advertised distance.

are are things id love to show, but its hard to get a accurate picture threw a video camera. its hard to say look how clear this is because a pic thre a cam is not as crystal clear due to the camera. i can make a video of tracking, but its a long video and i loose most folks after 4(ish) minutes. ill try and come up with somthing, thanks for the input, this is what im looking for

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Put it on my 11-87 and let me shoot sabot slugs for a while. I have had two scopes go bad in a very short time on this shotgun. A Simmons reticle shifted about 30 degrees and a Bushnell will no longer focus past 20 yards. Apparently the scopes that were listed as shotgun scopes were not up to the recoil. Think I'll go to a Leupold 2x7.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Put it on my 11-87 and let me shoot sabot slugs for a while. I have had two scopes go bad in a very short time on this shotgun. A Simmons reticle shifted about 30 degrees and a Bushnell will no longer focus past 20 yards. Apparently the scopes that were listed as shotgun scopes were not up to the recoil. Think I'll go to a Leupold 2x7.

bring it out before you put a leupold on it aned we will do just that.

Top Bottom