• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I got a range bag for Christmas this year. I'm trying to think of what I want to keep in there. I don't want to over pack, but I want to have necessary items.

Some me things are easy, I'll have a basic tool kit, a basic cleaning kit, a staple gun for hanging targets, and eye and ear protection. There is room for ammo, zip lock bags for brass, magazines, and a few hand guns. I'm also considering a small first aid kit, paper and pencils, copies of tax stamps.

What at do you keep in your range bag? What am I not thinking of? What seems useless?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Batteries for red dots, chrono, and such.
    Sharpie
    a .25"x8" brass rod and a small hammer. If you reload, it's bound to happen sooner or later.
    Loaders
    spare ear plugs
    10/22 mags. (apparently it's not uncommon to show up at the range with out them) :stickpoke:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Depends on where we're going and what we're shooting. If we're just going down the street to shoot pistols indoors, we take eyes, ears, ammo, and guns. If we're going to shoot rifles at Crosley the shooting bags will have all the above (minus guns) and a couple of tools, staple gun, and duct tape. If we're going p doggin', they don't make shooting bags big enough. First aid kit stays in the truck full time.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Depends on where we're going and what we're shooting. If we're just going down the street to shoot pistols indoors, we take eyes, ears, ammo, and guns. If we're going to shoot rifles at Crosley the shooting bags will have all the above (minus guns) and a couple of tools, staple gun, and duct tape. If we're going p doggin', they don't make shooting bags big enough. First aid kit stays in the truck full time.

Good point. Especially since my vehicle is never more than 30 yards away from me when I shoot. I'll just stick with the one in my vehicle.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I got a range bag for Christmas this year. I'm trying to think of what I want to keep in there. I don't want to over pack, but I want to have necessary items.

Some me things are easy, I'll have a basic tool kit, a basic cleaning kit, a staple gun for hanging targets, and eye and ear protection. There is room for ammo, zip lock bags for brass, magazines, and a few hand guns. I'm also considering a small first aid kit, paper and pencils, copies of tax stamps.

What at do you keep in your range bag? What am I not thinking of? What seems useless?

Pretty much everything you mentioned is all I keep in mine. I also keep a can of clp, a tube of outers gun grease and a couple of old shirts. Small needle nose pliers too.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Batteries for red dots, chrono, and such.
    Sharpie
    a .25"x8" brass rod and a small hammer. If you reload, it's bound to happen sooner or later.
    Loaders
    spare ear plugs
    10/22 mags. (apparently it's not uncommon to show up at the range with out them) :stickpoke:

Thanks for the suggestion. A few years ado, it happened to me and I had to cut my range visit short.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My bag is for pistols: small cleaning kit, screwdrivers and Allen wrenches, blue gun, electronic muffs, staple gun, extra ear plugs, dummy rounds/snap caps, whistle, stop watch (timer would work), bandaids, trauma kit, ball cap, target pasters or masking tape, ammo, extra magazines, squib rod

wildcatfan.62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Your list looks good to a start. If you reload, I'd skip the ziploc bags and go with tupperware/plastic containers with a lid. The ziplocs will wear out/tear. The plastic containers last longer so you don't have to keep replacing them and they're less likely to spill in your bag. I keep some band aids and tape in my bag with a "real" first aid kit in my car. Good call above on: a .25"x8" brass rod and a small hammer. If you reload, it's bound to happen sooner or later.
    If you need it and don't have it it can ruin your day. Only took me once......
    Good luck and Merry Christmas to all,

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    My bag is for pistols: small cleaning kit, screwdrivers and Allen wrenches, blue gun, electronic muffs, staple gun, extra ear plugs, dummy rounds/snap caps, whistle, stop watch (timer would work), bandaids, trauma kit, ball cap, target pasters or masking tape, ammo, extra magazines, squib rod

Pretty close to my list. I also keep a small hammer, can of ballistol, and shot timer in mine.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Baby wipes. I forgot the baby wipes. Most useful to clean your hands after shooting. Or in a pinch you can wipe other things.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Baby wipes. I forgot the baby wipes. Most useful to clean your hands after shooting. Or in a pinch you can wipe other things.

^^^^^^^ This, may sound odd, but these come in so handy.More than one might think.I use the unscented ones. I always have them in my range bag and in my truck. I also keep a few dry shop rags in my range bag. I also have a package of spare staples for my staple gun in the bag. Bug spray, I have that in the bag as well.

Last edited:

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Eye & ear pro (multiples of each)
    Trauma/first-aid kit
    Soft sided pistol cases
    Paper targets
    Staple gun & extra staples
    Large Sharpie marker
    Masking tape (cover holes in paper because I'm cheap)
    Multiple rags/cloth diapers
    Spare mags & mag loader
    Bore snake when long guns go along
    Small bottle of liquid FrogLube (never needed it, but just in case)
    Wheeler torque wrench & Lock-tite
    Note pad & pen
    Bag for carrying brass home
    Bottle of eye glass cleaner
    Purell hand sanitizer
    Winter time I'll add hand warmers

I have a dedicated ammo can for range trips, so no ammo in the range bag.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I use a surplus artillery shell box.
    I keep a 6" adjustable wrench
    HEX and Torx wrenches
    a 10 in 1 screwdriver
    A cleaning rod long enough to clean an AR10 w/20" barrel.
    Assortment of brushes, jags, loops mops and patches.
    Oil, solvents, grease.
    Sharpies and paint markers.
    Shop rags.
    nitrile gloves.
    hand wipes.
    ziplock baggies.
    tape.
    staple gun & staples
    notebook & pen
    random spare parts and brass floating around...

Some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I have a bag I carry guns, mags & ammo in. I always have an IFAK and assorted random tools etc in my truck.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Silicon gun cloth or rag to wipe the gun down

cloth to clean glasses. Some cleaner would be good. I'll add that

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    All the above!!
    Tape
    2 different sizes of dowel rods couple inches longer than barrel length. (squib loads) never needed one, but ya never know.
    flashlight and headlamp.
    spare of any safety stuff.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    This is just "food for thought". But I keep my range bag itself in a large plastic tote with wheels on the bottom. Along with my range bag (and its said contents) in said wheeled tote I keep paper targets, Caldwell firearms shooting rest bags, a old Army blanket (that I spread out on top of the shooting bench once at the range, just makes a nicer surface to work and shoot off of), a couple old dry towels, range rod and anything else I want in the tote. I keep these items(and my range bag) in this tote all the time year round. When I get ready to go to the range I just add my ammo in,grab my guns and away I go. I never have to search for my range equipment it is always in the tote and ready to roll. I have a similar separate wheeled tote for my black-powder equipment/ necessaries as well. I have done this for years and it has worked flawlessly. I always have what I need at the range and it makes it easier to transport my gear from the garage to the truck and truck to the shooting bench at the range. One can get these wheeled totes at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc... Just thought I would share what has worked for me with regards to range equipment.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm sure it's been said many times, but somebody up thread mentioned bug spray. A necessity for sure. Just be mindful of getting it on your plastic guns. Or anything else plastic for that matter. I have read that it can act as a solvent on some plastics.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I'm sure it's been said many times, but somebody up thread mentioned bug spray. A necessity for sure. Just be mindful of getting it on your plastic guns. Or anything else plastic for that matter. I have read that it can act as a solvent on some plastics.

This is especially true when shooting at the Winamac range in the summer. They have blood sucking mosquito's the size of B-52 bomber aircraft. LOL!!

Top Bottom