• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Your new gun malfunctions, what do you do?

• Total voters

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can usually figure out why there is an issue. If it is a new gun I will send it back for warranty. If it is a used gun I will fix it myself to a point or get a smith involved. If it to serious for a costly repair it will be stripped for parts and the rest cut up and discarded.
    I have done this twice. I will not put a POS malfunction on the streets to possibly injure or kill someone. Those who would and not inform of the problem to re-coup their money suck.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    I'd contact the manufacturer about warranty repair or get it fixed at a gunsmith. I wouldn't sell it to an unsuspecting buyer. To me that is dishonest. If I were to sell it knowing that its malfunctioning, I would be very upfront and honest to the buyer making sure they were well aware of any issues.

DungeonCrawl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would contact who I bought it from (I usually buy used guns) and try to collaborate on a fix (assuming the person I bought it from put rounds through it already).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I voted send to Mfg., if it is new... otherwise, I have 27,000 some odd "experts", right here and would post up a question, why does this make, model of firearm, do this ..... :twocents:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Normally, I fix it...but that's what I do every day. I also stay away from firearms with a less than great reputation. With all the high quality firearms out there today, there is little need to purchase shoddy guns.

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Send it to manufacturer to be fixed. I will usually get rid of it as soon as it gets back. My trust in it is already gone.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Assuming it is a new gun and not just new to you why wouldn't you send it back. No matter who makes it there can always be a problem. That is why you always shoot and break them in before depending on it to save your life. This is also why people need to shoot guns that they carry oftem. I was talking to a guy the other day who had been carrying his gun for over two years and hadn't shot it since the day he bought it.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    That would depend highly on the issue... If it's just a FTE, FTF, etc. I would research the problem, clean, lube, and shoot a few hundred rounds through it before deeming it "carry material." Having said that, if it is a catastrophic failure, the story would be quite different. If it was repetitive FTE, FTFs, I would probably research, fix it myself if possible and run a few hundred rounds through it before counting on it.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Trading it just moves the problem from you to someone else. Seems a bit unfair unless you are willing to disclose the defect prior to the trade.

Most manufacturers have a great warranty program and some will even take care of problems if you aren't the original owner.

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    I'd just fix it, my motto is if it was built by man I can fix it :)

OK enough of that... if it was me it depends on if that puppy is under warranty, if so, contact and work with the manufacture.... if not, then I would trouble shoot, seek advise, render a repair. I couldn't and wound't sell or trade it knowing that theres an issue, but that me and how I roll.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would go back to the place where you bought it.Maybe the gunsmith there can just fix the problem easily.
    If not send it to the manufacturer and they will fix the problem.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    If it was new I'd send it back. If it was used I'd try to fix it myself. So far I haven't had a new one with issues, or a used one bad enough that a feed ramp polish couldn't fix.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I agree with those that say contact the manufacturer if a proper cleaning and lube doesn't resolve the issue. Passing on a problem gun is just wrong unless the buyer is aware of the issue. I am sure we all have been screwed over on a purchase buy a less then stellar salesman.

If it is used, then research the issue. Some problems are common and are simple fixes. If you are not certain of your skills seek help! I am lucky to have a good mechanical understanding and a lot of talanted friends!

Just be safe and maybe you'll learn something along the way too :-)

Top Bottom