• ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    400619147.jpg

Loaded 200 .45acp 230 grain cast LRN's over 5.4 grains of Universal then I cast, gas checked and sized 20 each 500 grain .458's I'll load tomorrow.

45-70,
    What will you lube them with? They look awesome by the way! You don't lube/size and gas check all in the same step? What are you using to seat the gas checks?

Curious, just curious! ;)

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    45-70,
    What will you lube them with? They look awesome by the way! You don't lube/size and gas check all in the same step? What are you using to seat the gas checks?

Curious, just curious! ;)

Skip, I seat/crimp the checks while sizing with a Lee sizing die and as far as lubing, I tumble lube with Rooster Jacket and run them through the sizing die wet. After sizing I tumble lube them again with Rooster Jacket and set them aside to dry. These I load with 35 grains of AA2230 for about 1250 fps. I could probably get away without the checks but this combination works really well with no leading and no lube heating. They have a trajectory similar to that of a cast iron frisbee.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I went through all of my 270 Win brass yesterday, tumbling, sizing, trimming, etc. I've got ~150 Nosler 140gr Accubonds on the shelf and will be loading them until I run out of one component or another. Cold n' nasty out today...perfect time to reload! :)

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I went through all of my 270 Win brass yesterday, tumbling, sizing, trimming, etc. I've got ~150 Nosler 140gr Accubonds on the shelf and will be loading them until I run out of one component or another. Cold n' nasty out today...perfect time to reload! :)

Gonna cast later. Probably some of my 434640 44 caliber hollow points or in solid. Not too sure just yet.

Maybe something for the 45 COLT (not the long ;) ) too! (Just fooling around, don't anyone get upset! Take a breath, relax!) :D

HUFFMANWG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    VA.
    Shooting

Loaded up 200 RDs. 12ga for trap shoot at gun club tomorrow. Shot prices are getting out of hand. Get federal 1oz. loads at walmart for 4.77, might have to go that route soon :patriot:

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Great analogy! My wife understood it too! hahahaha

Similar to the old "lead balloon"!

What kind of alloy? Straight wheel weights or a "special" concoction?

Yep, just plain old clip on wheel weights, never found the need to get too exotic with this stuff.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Just left the garage! MAN IS IT COLD OUT THERE! WOWSERS! hahaha

I did manage to get a couple hundred bullets cast though. Here is my absolute favorite 44 bullet.
    434640RangeScrapall3types3.jpg

This picture shows all three versions I can cast from the same mould. The hollow points both weigh in the 250gr area while the solid is just a fuzz over the 270 mark.

Now to lube and size them. I have a Magma Star luber/sizer and it is a joy to do them in it. I also cast up some 200gr HP 45 caliber bullets. Just got so cold that I thought it would be a good time to stop! ;)

45-70, COOL!

These are all cast out of range scrap from an indoor range. The alloy was free so..........that lowers the price of my reloads quite a bit! hahaha

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Just left the garage! MAN IS IT COLD OUT THERE! WOWSERS! hahaha

I did manage to get a couple hundred bullets cast though. Here is my absolute favorite 44 bullet.
    434640RangeScrapall3types3.jpg

This picture shows all three versions I can cast from the same mould. The hollow points both weigh in the 250gr area while the solid is just a fuzz over the 270 mark.

Now to lube and size them. I have a Magma Star luber/sizer and it is a joy to do them in it. I also cast up some 200gr HP 45 caliber bullets. Just got so cold that I thought it would be a good time to stop! ;)

45-70, COOL!

These are all cast out of range scrap from an indoor range. The alloy was free so..........that lowers the price of my reloads quite a bit! hahaha
    Very nice looking boolits! And I second the cold in the garage thing, I just went out and turned on the lead pot and lit the kerosene heater, it might turn out to be a long day.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Thanks, friend!

Also made bore solvent and gun oil out there. Clean up on the garage floor proved to be a task being that cold. I usually use brake cleaner to clean up any oil spills because it evaporates quickly. Um, not so much today! hahahaha

Now I wonder what kind of trouble I can get into! Maybe I will lube and size those ones that I cast earlier.

I suppose now that I have cleaner, I should put some of that to use too! I hate winter but live too far north to complain much! ;)

Fubanator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Just finished loading some 223. Hornady 55 gr. FMJBT, H335 24.2 GR., with Remington 7 1/2 benchrest primers. The brass was picked up from the range.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    it's midnight Just finished up 200 10mm 600 to go before a caliber change

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    400728454.jpg

Cranked out a couple of hundred of these 230 grainers, now I need to find the time to do some shootin'

On edit: These are cast from a 230 grain mold and typically weigh in at 238~239 grains with WW alloy, adjust your loads accordingly.

Last edited:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    400728454.jpg

Cranked out a couple of hundred of these 230 grainers, now I need to find the time to do some shootin'

On edit: These are cast from a 230 grain mold and typically weigh in at 238~239 grains with WW alloy, adjust your loads accordingly.

Are those from a lee mold? If so I've had good results concerning accuracy and no leading in my fathers bersa 45

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I HAVEN'T LOADED OR SHOT IN TWO OR THREE DAYS! I AM HAVING WITHDRAWL!

STINKIN' WORK! ;)

I do industrial machine controls, repair and design. The last week or two, I have been stuck in factories all day long & overtime to boot. Usually, if I am out and about, I can "schedule" a trip by the local range and launch a few. Not so for the last little while!

I need to fix my priorities! :D

Top Bottom