what carry flashlights do you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    How about a true example. Surefire LX2 ($150) vs 4Sevens QB2L ($62)

LED: The QB2L wins here as it has the latest CREE LED, where the current LX2 lights are two generations older. But both have high quality LED's, but the LED in the QB2L is a little more expensive.

Light Output: This one is a little tricky. The QB2L has more light output, but the LX2 has a far superior lens and reflector(TIR). Therefore the 200 lumens of the LX2 will seem light a lot more than what it really is. The beam pattern is much nicer on the Surefire. The TIR set up is not cheap and is a major factor in the increased cost.

Body: The Surefire has a little heavier aluminum than the 4Sevens light. The fit and finish is also nicer on the Surefire. This also increases the cost of the light

Switch: the switch quality of Surefire lights are nice. They just feel like they would last forever. The 4Sevens switches are nicer than most, but still not as nice as a Surefire. Again, this cost more to make.

Very good information here!

I will add one more to this:

hog hunting lights, feeder lights, blood trailing aids

Elusive Wildlife Technologies

We use the XLR-250, $139.99 for a complete package with charger, gun mounting brackets, wall and vehicle adapter, pressure switch end cap, and two rechargeable batteries (one battery is equivilent to two CR123 and the unit only requires one battery at a time). We have had the same flashlights for over four years. Same flashlights still using the same batteries that came with the lights and we use the lights ALL the time. One stays mounted on a rifle for after dark use and it is cycled everynight. The two handhelds are used almost daily as well.

Coating is wearing very well! Ours are the older CREE and I want to say it is putting out about 700 lumens. We can easily see out 200 to 250 yards just as advertised. The light is very concentrated in the center and does not bleed to the sides. We use red lights and green.

Want to spend a little less? For $99.99 the XLR100 is 350 lumens for a complete package as described above.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I have been carrying this cool little import (jetbeam) light for a couple of months now. It will run on a single AA battery (which I prefer to CR123's) but I use a rechargable 14500 battery which at 3.7volts produces a super bright beam that is advertised as 650 lumens.

LED Flashlight

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i have some sort of Pelican taclight because i'm a pelican distributor. is bright <.<

but i tell ya, the light i have in my bug out bag is a simple 2AA pelican light. i don't want to be caught in SHTF with a damned bright-ass light that doesnt work because it takes exotic batteries that won't be able to be found.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Streamlight 88031 Protac Tactical Flashlight 2L with White LED Includes 2 CR123A Lithium Batteries and Holster, Black - Amazon.com

ProTac 2L. Carry everyday and less than 45 bucks. 180 Lumens and small... Love it. I have been thinking about the Fury. But the 2L at 215 reviews and 5 stars is hard to beat...

Got those too. use the ingo code and we are at the $45.

Streamlight

These are alright lights. The Fury will kick it's butt... but you can buy 3 of the streamlights to one Fury...so it should be a much nicer light!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I carry the GSX (Gander Mountain) 230 lumen + 3 color LED flashlight (The Green one that takes 2 x CR123's). $69.99 / $49.99 on sale. It is an awesome light and has held up great.

It has High / Low / Strobe and Green / Blue / Red / Red S.O.S. You hold the button to switch from white to color mode to save from having to press numerous times to get you desired light.

I am looking for a different (and cheaper) light to use at work as I use it most there and it is expensive to feed and would hurt to lose. But for EDC it's perfect.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    i have some sort of Pelican taclight because i'm a pelican distributor. is bright <.<

but i tell ya, the light i have in my bug out bag is a simple 2AA pelican light. i don't want to be caught in SHTF with a damned bright-ass light that doesnt work because it takes exotic batteries that won't be able to be found.
    I've got a Streamlight 4 AA LED that I carried as a firefighter and love it. It's too big to pocket carry but it's perfect for my hunting pack, my car, or my nightstand. Also, my Surefire Nitrolon crapped out with less abuse than my Streamlight has had.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I've got a Streamlight 4 AA LED that I carried as a firefighter and love it. It's too big to pocket carry but it's perfect for my hunting pack, my car, or my nightstand. Also, my Surefire Nitrolon crapped out with less abuse than my Streamlight has had.

This is classic case of LED vs xenon bulbs. The Surefire needs a new bulb, the streamlight has an led which has longer life and is more durrable

jwatkins383

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    MD
    Flashlight

Budget ---Surefire G2

iv heard lots of people talking about carrying flashlights with them for everyday purposes but also for threat ID in low light scenarios

which lights do you all recommend looking into and why?

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Oooooh, do tell! :stickpoke:

Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries

138mm (length) x 24mm (diameter)

74-gram weight (excluding the battery)

Side switch to toggle through five different brightness levels

Low (9 Lumens), Mid (40 Lumens), High (140 Lumens), Turbo (400 Lumens),

Burst (740 Lumens), Strobe (400 Lumens), SOS (140 Lumens)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Damn you!

My favorite carry light is the PD32. This is going to force me to . . . upgrade!! ARGH!

I also saw a Streamlight ProTac HL in a shop in Lafayette last Wednesday. I knew I wanted one, but I failed to research to that point. It was hanging, all alone, on a pegboard peg on one of the display racks. It looked lonesome.

I like it, but I have buyer's remorse because I paid close to MSRP for it.

Something really cool that is coming in about a week

Fenix PD32 Ultimate

Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries

138mm (length) x 24mm (diameter)

74-gram weight (excluding the battery)

Side switch to toggle through five different brightness levels

Low (9 Lumens), Mid (40 Lumens), High (140 Lumens), Turbo (400 Lumens),

Burst (740 Lumens), Strobe (400 Lumens), SOS (140 Lumens)

Top Bottom