• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Long story short. My elderly Father who lives by himself in a small town apartment, has neighbor kids(mid twenties), coming over panning for money from him. Both brothers have done it, the one did it while my Sister was there visiting my Dad. He views it as helping them out, because their excuses are mostly, "I need this for my child" related.
    My Sister ran them off the last time, but one brother owes him a hundred dollars and they other thirty or so.

I stopped yesterday to see him and the other neighbor guy talked to me about it and said he is worried about dad, and said these kids are always over there and he thinks they are trying to get money from him, and borrow his car. He said they keep walking by his windows and go over there.

What can be done to stop this other than the obvious? I do not want to cause my Dad any harm by addressing this, and do not need to get into trouble myself. The one kid knows I am watching him, because he comes out and just smirks at me while I am there.

Advice? Can this be handled through the local police department?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Is it time to take a look at something like assisted living? Is this out of character for Dad? Is dementia affecting him? For immediate action I would tell these dirt bags in no uncertain terms to stay away from him. If they don't I would explore an order of protection. I would not be very tactful with these "gentlemen".

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I would stop by their apartment and tell them that your Dad has limited funds, and that if they need help there are churches and non profit organizations, along with several government agencies that can help. Even offer to point them in the right direction. Just make it clear that your Dad is not to be bothered by them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would take it one step farther and tell them that if they continue to scam your father, you will report it to the local authorities as such. I would be sure to term it as a scam.

If there is no dementia involved, you should sit down with dad and tell him the cold, hard facts about his neighbors and make sure he understands that it is highly likely that they are playing him and that if they are truly in need, there are others better equipped to help them.

Top Bottom