• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electron don

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    I saw more coyotes while in the deer stand this year than ever before. I'm in Southern Indiana near Evansville. I've always been told by the landowners where I hunt to shoot them whenever I can. In terms of land management for deer hunting, should I be shooting them? If so, what can I do with them? It doesn't feel right to just shoot them and let them lie. Is the pelt of any value?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    coyote pelts are not worth the trouble im like you and i hate to kill anything and leave it lay but im a farmer and we have lost calves to coyotes in the past so in my mind i have to be a good shepard to my heard and the land owner probably wants you to be the same but ive learned a coyote carcass is not worthless i put it in the field off my porch as shoot coyotes off the carcass the most ive ever got off one "set" is 3 i kill the second and just leave it on the first

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I shoot everyone I see in fact I call them in and then kill them. Great fun. As for what to do with the dead coyote, take a picture.
    HPIM0583.jpg

Electron don

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    Coyotes at the airport.

I have heard that coyotes are moving into the urban environment. A friend of mine is an Air Traffic Controller at EVV airport. He shared with me that they had had problems with them in the past and were concerned that they would run out and collide with landing planes. They finally called in someone to come in and shoot them a few years back. Thirty five were shot. I wonder how much paperwork does it take to be allowed out on a FAA runway with a high powered rifle?

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well for those who don't know aot what to do with a coyote, there are fur buyers around who will buy the whole carcus. You don't have to skin them. Why not help out your farmer and kill them and make a little money to boot!!!!!!

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I want to go out and get some Coyote's I just don't have the hunting experiance to find them. They are a very smart dog in terms of hearing, smelling, and sight.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Much more fun than deer. The market for our eastern coyotes is nearly nothing better to just leave them lay now days. I have skinned many and sold for less than $20 the last few years.
    I do throw them over a fence sometimes to let the land owner know I have killed one though.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Get it Tanned!

I shot one out of my deer stand this year with a .50 Encore :yesway:. I didn't just want to let it rot, so I called around and cheapest I could find someone to tan the hide was $100. :n00b: I understand now though it is quite a bit of work to skin and flesh their hides (much more difficult than deer) and tannery fees are close to $50 now. SO, that's the side of the story if you want to shoot it and get a full, nice tanned coyote hide for your den, but you will have to pay around $100.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I shot one out of my deer stand this year with a .50 Encore :yesway:. I didn't just want to let it rot, so I called around and cheapest I could find someone to tan the hide was $100. :n00b: I understand now though it is quite a bit of work to skin and flesh their hides (much more difficult than deer) and tannery fees are close to $50 now. SO, that's the side of the story if you want to shoot it and get a full, nice tanned coyote hide for your den, but you will have to pay around $100.
    That answered a question I had. Anyone know where to take one in the Monroe Co. area?

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    My fur buyer prefers them to be on the carcass. They are worth about $10 in my area. My son and I plan on doing some calling tonight if the weather holds up.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I saw more coyotes while in the deer stand this year than ever before. I'm in Southern Indiana near Evansville. I've always been told by the landowners where I hunt to shoot them whenever I can. In terms of land management for deer hunting, should I be shooting them? If so, what can I do with them? It doesn't feel right to just shoot them and let them lie. Is the pelt of any value?

I kill them every chance I get.

Why would you care about killing a coyote and let it lay? Would you shoot a rat and worry about carrying it home?

You've got real programs encouraging people to shoot deer they don't even want and people would worry about shooting a coyote?

This country's been upside down so long it doesn't know up from down any more.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I feel bad wantonly taking the life of any animal, regardless of its size or worth. I feel bad not being able to at least use part of the animal for something. I haven't been coyote hunting before, but if I ever do shoot one I'll tan the hide myself. I've done a few deer and have some skills. I guess this just stems from the traditionalist in me...

Top Bottom