• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OP, definitely take the defensive and stay inside next time.

Inbound rep for being an adult and accepting your criticism/failure and learning from it. Doesn't happen very often here.

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If the police are there why the calls to 911? I would have asked for the deer also. I would a stay in the house and protect your family being close to them.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is an honest to God happening. I just got to thinking about it after it happened......and thought I would see if you guys would point out my fails. I have the get them before they get me attitude, so my reason for going toward the gun fire was simple, I didn't want whoever it was getting near my home and family, for all I knew they had shot the cops. I wanted to take it to them rather than playing defense.....and got to thinking that probably wasn't wise. Seems you guys have confirmed that.

Sorry, but I did think it was a spoof. I would have stayed inside, too. If you REALLY think you have to go outside, take a rifle. Never take a gun to a gun fight.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    When I see cops outside my house I always come out running with my pistol in hand. Now when they are outside and shooting I come out running with ak pistols in each hand. It is ok, I have my conceal carry badge hanging from my neck, like a necklace.

It is my property, it's my rights.

The coppers seem not to like my tactics. But I pay their salaries.
    The police these days are all paranoid that someone is going to come up on them and shoot them for no reason.:tinfoil:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    "...I jump up and look out window"

Unless you have bullet proof glass in your house exercise some caution next time.

And just an FYI when you are in your car picking your nose we can see you too.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This was YOUR situation and ONLY you could react to it in real time. Monday morning Armchair quarterbacking is easy. Real time counts.
    I've ran towards the noise as well. I'm sure I would again if the same circumstances arise. Different situations will call for different reactions.
    Your situation was a false alarm for you this time. Your actions MIGHT be appropriate for the real deal. Might not. ONLY you can judge this incidence.

The best advise that I can offer is to take some training. We all need to continue our training so don't take this as a slam.

As have I. When the house in Homecroft (south Indy) blew up a couple years ago, I jumped out of bed and ran outside to my driveway because I ~was sure~ someone had just driven a car into my house. I wasn't armed and my house was only secure because OkieGirl was standing in the doorway with one of her firearms.

I think you have to train to NOT run towards the disturbance. Staying inside and guarding my castle is what I've decided to do in the future.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    6 shots to put down an injured deer? Rookies.

Good advice. Walk outside with a rifle to see what the cops are up to.

He did look pretty young and I am pretty sure he is a newer guy. Very friendly young man. I am sure he will learn as he has more time and experience.

Yeah, don't think I will grab an AR and run towards cops and gun fire. I had my handgun....and it was concealed in my pants pocket. My first thought was someone was in a shootout with the cop....and I don't want to be that guy who sits in my house, waiting on help, while others are being slaughtered and living knowing I could have made a difference. If it had been a shootout, the bad guy could have easily ran into my neighbors house that had only 2 youngins home at the time...or the other neighbor lady who was home with her young daughter alone, since her husband was working. I was never over 50 feet from my front door.

I imagine if something like that happens again...I will try to handle it differently.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    This is an honest to God happening. I just got to thinking about it after it happened......and thought I would see if you guys would point out my fails. I have the get them before they get me attitude, so my reason for going toward the gun fire was simple, I didn't want whoever it was getting near my home and family, for all I knew they had shot the cops. I wanted to take it to them rather than playing defense.....and got to thinking that probably wasn't wise. Seems you guys have confirmed that.
    It is commendable that you showed such concern for the officers present. That being said, had the police come under fire and they see you appearing with your handgun their immediate reaction may not be that you are there to assist. Best case you are a temporary distraction while they evaluate you as a threat. Worst case either you get shot by the police, or the actual assailant takes advantage of the confusion to shoot you or the police.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Good advice. Walk outside with a rifle to see what the cops are up to.

Read my entire post, Frank! I suggested staying inside, but I don't know if there would be a reason for him to go out. What if there was an officer by himself and needed help? What if a group of "thugs" had an officer surrounded? Would you want him to stay in his home? I can only speak for myself, but if I saw something like that, I would go despite what you may advise.

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    He did look pretty young and I am pretty sure he is a newer guy. Very friendly young man. I am sure he will learn as he has more time and experience.

Yeah, don't think I will grab an AR and run towards cops and gun fire. I had my handgun....and it was concealed in my pants pocket. My first thought was someone was in a shootout with the cop....and I don't want to be that guy who sits in my house, waiting on help, while others are being slaughtered and living knowing I could have made a difference. If it had been a shootout, the bad guy could have easily ran into my neighbors house that had only 2 youngins home at the time...or the other neighbor lady who was home with her young daughter alone, since her husband was working. I was never over 50 feet from my front door.

I imagine if something like that happens again...I will try to handle it differently.

I don't fault you for what you did at the time. You have to take in what you see and decide appropriately on how to act.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Read my entire post, Frank! I suggested staying inside, but I don't know if there would be a reason for him to go out. What if there was an officer by himself and needed help? What if a group of "thugs" had an officer surrounded? Would you want him to stay in his home? I can only speak for myself, but if I saw something like that, I would go despite what you may advise.

I know, variables! ;)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    ID'g a good guy vs bad guy could be a hinky move. Secure, arm up, call 911. I know the coppers will be on high alert if shots have been fired, deer or whatever. We used shotguns w/ slugs, usually one shot, one kill. Around a house..... potential for bad decisions on both sides. The Portage incident was sad, and displayed the worst outcome for thieving little scumbags vs home owner. Tombstone courage is a killer!

We had some little scumbags breaking into garages, barns, and sheds a few years ago. Lighting, decent locks, and vigilance went a long way. They got caught trying to sell some stuff and bragging rights are for jail cells.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Anything less than running out with your plate carrier, shower shoes, boxers, boonie and some form of crew served weapon is a failure. But seriously, I wouldn't have gone outside unless I knew the cops were really in trouble, and I could make very sure they knew I wasn't a threat. I want those guys to get home to their wife and kids, but it seems to me there's a small margin of error there.

Top Bottom