• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Just picked up a .380 and I'm trying to see how it shoots with different ammo.
    I know the target ammo is hard to find but I think I can find a box for under $30 if I try. Also what kiond of SD rounds are good in .380.

I have only shot Wolf steel cased an 30 fiochi brass out of it. I'm not sure I got a true picture of how it can function fro 80 rounds, with 50 being Wuff.

Suggestions?

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I like the hornady (Sp) special defense. Depending on what pistol you have you might find that your gun jams on some hollow point so what ever you end up getting make sure you fire a few mags through your gun before trusting your life to it.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Cygnus,

Indygunworks is a fellow on the board here who picked up a quantity of 380 about a week ago. Check out the link to the Inguns ammo forum here;

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._supplies/45587-wts_380_ammo_20_99_a_box.html

I lucked into some before his buy, otherwise I would be giving him a call.

Good luck! :)

I saw that. I'm Fort Wayne but maybe it would be worth conatcing him.
    I'll give it a shot. I'll have to try the Hornaday too.
    The gun's a Grendel P-12. I'm on the fence about keeping it want to give a chanceIt was a blast to shoot.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Honestly, for SD use in 380 (as a BUG), I use FMJ. None of the hollowpoints give me the penetration I want.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thanks for trying to work it out to get some of the ammo cygnus... i really appreciate it... the ammo is not going NEAR as fast as i thought it would given all the threads i have seen in the last few months saying how hard .380 is to find... i dont even own a 380 and bought 150 dollars worth of ammo i am now stuck with.... oh well maybe i have to buy my fiance the bersa now.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have heard a lot of guys with .380 say they use FMJ. The balistics of the Cor-Bon DPX is actually pretty good for that round if you can find them.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    thanks for trying to work it out to get some of the ammo cygnus... i really appreciate it... the ammo is not going NEAR as fast as i thought it would given all the threads i have seen in the last few months saying how hard .380 is to find... i dont even own a 380 and bought 150 dollars worth of ammo i am now stuck with.... oh well maybe i have to buy my fiance the bersa now.

Ya know.I hear there's Grendel p-12 for sale somewhere.......:shady:

Let me try a full box of brass cased through my gun in the next day or so.
    I f I get ci=onsistant performance out of it maybe I could make a drive worth your while if you want to meet up

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have heard a lot of guys with .380 say they use FMJ. The balistics of the Cor-Bon DPX is actually pretty good for that round if you can find them.

Define "pretty good." This is the issue with 380 acp isn't it? It will either penetrate 12+ inches OR expand, but not both.

Hence, one either goes with FMJ to get the penetration or picks one of the newer hollow points, like Cor-Bon DPX (which is about the best 380 HP I've seen - with a price to go with it), and settles for less penetration in exchange for expansion.

Either one might work in any given case, but neither meets FBI standards.

BTW, has anyone seen any 3rd party (i.e. non-Hornady) test data on the new Hornady Critical Defense loads in .380?

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense are the only two I currently buy for SD in .380.

I am tempted to try Buffalo Bore though.

Top Bottom