• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    So I see my explanation of religion vs Chrsitianity has been removed, but the mods allow this to stay...

Let me get this straight. A forum member is allowed to characterize all Christians as "adherents" that only pick those parts of the bible that they feel like following and a few other forum members agree. The mods allow as this is apparently not "bashing". Another forum member educates them on the difference between religion and Christianity and defends his position by showing that true Christians do not pick and choose the parts of the bible because they believe that the entire Bible is God's word. This is considered "preaching" and removed immediately.

MODS...

I see some unfortunate hypocrisy here. Those who wish to generalize all Christians in derogatory terms are allowed to speak while Christians who wish to educate those who do such things are silenced. I do not mind being banned. I do not mind being different. In fact God call us to be different than society.

Guess I have a month or so off from here...

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    witness-this-epic-thread_zps5a5e1329.gif

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2</SPAN>

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.</SPAN> 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

“The Lord is my strength and my defense[a];</SPAN>
    he has become my salvation.
    He is my God, and I will praise him,
    my father’s God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:2

Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    2 He is my loving God and my fortress,
    my stronghold and my deliverer,
    my shield, in whom I take refuge,
    who subdues peoples[a] under me. Psalm 144:1-2

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:43-45</SPAN>

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:17</SPAN>

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5:10-12</SPAN>

XtianSpam_zps3a5f9cc1.jpg

:)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So I see my explanation of religion vs Chrsitianity has been removed, but the mods allow this to stay...

Let me get this straight. A forum member is allowed to characterize all Christians as "adherents" that only pick those parts of the bible that they feel like following and a few other forum members agree. The mods allow as this is apparently not "bashing". Another forum member educates them on the difference between religion and Christianity and defends his position by showing that true Christians do not pick and choose the parts of the bible because they believe that the entire Bible is God's word. This is considered "preaching" and removed immediately.

MODS...

I see some unfortunate hypocrisy here. Those who wish to generalize all Christians in derogatory terms are allowed to speak while Christians who wish to educate those who do such things are silenced. I do not mind being banned. I do not mind being different. In fact God call us to be different than society.

Guess I have a month or so off from here...

:+1: It is a shame that 'evangelical' atheism isn't recognized as the religion it is.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Westboro lives by the part of the Bible that they like, just like every other adherent. They just happen to be particularly ugly and loud about it.

It's a lot like a software license. No one actually reads it, they just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree."

You mean the part that because some Iraqis are homosexuals, the Westboro Baptist Church decided to celebrate the deaths of U.S. troops because we were supposedly helping out the Iraqis? Remember, "God hates Fags" and "God loves IEDs?" They make a religious connection to picket funerals like Sandy Hook or military funerals where the victims had nothing to do with their grievances in modern American society. They're not religious protesters, they're nothing more than professional trolls who are quite skilled at pissing people off to the point where they lash out only to sue them later.

They record their protests. They are skilled in the practice of law.
    Their lawsuits fund their lives.

^Exactly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Kinda like the awesome hobby of not collecting stamps. :):

(BTW, agnostic here...in case you were wondering)

If it were not tantamount to a religious doctrine of sorts, its practitioners would not have near the hostility they do toward those who disagree. If the neutral position (like your example of not collecting stamps) had a shred of truth, indifference would be the more common response rather than attacking a large demographic with the antics of a group whose beliefs have nothing in common with that larger group.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Amazing someone can call for turning one billion plus people into glass and get butthurt over the term bible thumper.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Amazing someone can call for turning one billion plus people into glass and get butthurt over the term bible thumper.

If it makes you feel any better, I would not mind seeing the Westboro crew becoming part of the 'plus' you appended to your billion.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    If it were not tantamount to a religious doctrine of sorts, its practitioners would not have near the hostility they do toward those who disagree. If the neutral position (like your example of not collecting stamps) had a shred of truth, indifference would be the more common response rather than attacking a large demographic with the antics of a group whose beliefs have nothing in common with that larger group.

Indifference would be a nice luxury. Unfortunately, indifference does not guard against encroachments by those whose definition of liberty is not exactly all-inclusive.

In other words, I would keep my mouth shut if they would.
    Fat chance of that happening, though. People driven by the supernatural are not often given to reason or moderation.

Westboro's actions are atrocious, but their beliefs aren't that far off from the rule book. Wiping out 2 cities with fire and brimstone does aptly demonstrate, at least to me, that God may indeed hate fags.

Alternately, he might have just been hungry and needed a Snickers bar.

:D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indifference would be a nice luxury. Unfortunately, indifference does not guard against encroachments by those whose definition of liberty is not exactly all-inclusive.

In other words, I would keep my mouth shut if they would.
    Fat chance of that happening, though. People driven by the supernatural are not often given to reason or moderation.

Westboro's actions are atrocious, but their beliefs aren't that far off from the rule book. Wiping out 2 cities with fire and brimstone does aptly demonstrate, at least to me, that God may indeed hate fags.

Alternately, he might have just been hungry and needed a Snickers bar.

:D

I will grant you your position regarding indifference without argument save that it gets tiresome having the atheistic position presented as neutral when it in fact is not. I find it particularly disturbing that the preferred tactic appears to be using legal machinations to silence others in public and teach an unproven doctrine in public schools which is actively hostile to most deistic religions but is equally unproven in the empirical sense as it relies on a great deal of conjecture to hold it together. Likewise, the same demographic group appears largely responsible for teaching values-driven material which is actively hostile to those of faith and completely built on opinion (like encouraging children to fornicate like forest creatures while they are given guidance on how to mitigate the damage) which has nothing to do with education in the sense appropriate for school. I would also have to say that people in general are often not motivated by reason or moderation. It speaks volumes when one is confronted with people who are offended to the point of hostility by the existence of others who disagree.

One favorite example of mine about those driven to hatred of those who disagree is that favorite targets are organizations which find alternatives other than abortion in order to resolve unwanted pregnancies. I am amazed by the level of hate required to want a baby dead for the sake of it being dead. It definitely smacks of religious zeal, absence of a religion in the conventional sense notwithstanding.

As for Westboro, their actions demonstrate several doctrinal deficiencies. You are correct so far as the Bible indicating that God has a major issue with homosexuality (as well as plenty of other things). The problem is that believers are instructed to advise such persons of God's revealed truth, the consequences, and the way to salvation. At that point, it is up to the listener to believe or not believe. Believers are absolutely not directed to picket, insult, assault, or eradicate such persons. On that note, if the Christians were as intolerant as they are accused of being, we would be saying the same thing Ahmadinejad said about homosexuals (or any other doctrinally unacceptable group): We don't have any. On the other hand, making a declaration of one's position on a matter and the truth of the matter according to God is a matter of speech and religion, both of which are constitutionally recognized rights. Unfortunately, some people believe that freedom of speech only applies to speech they want to hear and/or such freedom should be restricted to being kept behind closed doors, which completely defeats the purpose of the First Amendment. The balance we find the the tradition application of the Constitution is that religious thought is not to be the driving force in government, but neither is it to be excluded. Government is to be neither a religious institution nor is it to be hostile toward or exclusive of religious thought. Within those parameters, there is room for everyone. I would also argue that most of the contentious issues in this regard would be moot if the federal government lived withing its constitution limitations as a limited government rather than the de facto unlimited government (in scope if not absolute authority) we now for all practical purposes have.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill... I don't see anything in here that is so damning?

What is all the fuss about? People on this site flat out attack and insult all kinds of demographics: Gays, Blacks, Mexicans, Jews, Immigrants, Muslims, Atheists, Democrats, Liberals, Libertarians, Republicans, Politicians, Police, Teachers, Military Servicemen, Rich People, Poor People etc...

One little comment about Christianity, that wasn't even all that damning I might add... and BOOOM the forum explodes.

The Westboro Church is a bunch of Bible Thumpers... and Religions evolve over time and diverge into different sects... all of which interpret "Gods Words" differently and pick and choose the parts they like and the parts they don't. Some are louder than others. These are facts... Get over it.....

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I find it particularly disturbing that the preferred tactic appears to be using legal machinations to silence others in public and teach an unproven doctrine in public schools which is actively hostile to most deistic religions but is equally unproven in the empirical sense as it relies on a great deal of conjecture to hold it together.

This is inaccurate....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The Westboro Church is a bunch of Bible Thumpers... and Religions evolve over time and diverge into different sects... all of which interpret "Gods Words" differently and pick and choose the parts they like and the parts they don't. Some are louder than others. These are facts... Get over it.....

I have a difficult time with the notion that flagrantly disregarding what it says constitutes interpretation.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You sort of mean like the part that reads: "Judge not and you will not be judged." ?

Fair enough so long as you account for the difference between recognizing an act as being acceptable or unacceptable and judging a person (which is prohibited).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom