Were we nearly the victims of an armed robbery? I think so.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I believe that the big box retailer that I work for was nearly subject to an armed robbery last night. Do you agree?

Last night was like any other night selling guns at a big box retailer. I had my fair share of questions about .22 ammo, saw some unsafe gun handling, and helped numerous new gun owners pick out their first firearms. At exactly closing time, the assistant manager walked out into the parking lot to retrieve carts, the two customer service girls were doing their thing up front (whatever that is), two employees were straightening out the firearms department, and I was doing my nightly firearms reports. As I was walking up front to pick up some returns, I noticed six gangster looking guys walk through the one door that was still unlocked. Their timing and demeanor immediately made me question their motives.

I radioed for the manager in the parking lot to lock the doors behind them and write down license plate numbers. I told the customer service girls to be good witnesses and keep an eye on anyone who broke away from the group. As the posse made their way to the firearms department I told the employees to not do anything stupid, spread out, and most of all be a good witness.

I walked behind the firearms counter to “help” the guys when they reached me. As soon as they approached the counter I informed them that our store was closing and asked if there was anything that I could help them with. Without a seconds pause, they immediately listed off the things that they were looking for. With each item they listed I became more nervous. Every single item they wanted was in a different locked storage case. They wanted high end optics, a gun, and electronics. I knew that it wasn’t a coincidence that they were asking for us to unlock nearly all of our high end merchandise at once.

I told them that the manager had already taken all of the employee’s keys since our store was closed and that he had already pulled all of the cash registers. (which wasn’t true) I also informed them that the manager was outside in the parking lot. I figured that they would be less likely to rob us if they thought that we couldn’t access money or high dollar goods. They told me that they were okay waiting for the manager. As they were pacing around the department I noticed that multiple members of the group were sloppily carrying guns. While we were waiting for the manager I told one of the customer service girls to get her cell phone and be ready to run out the door calling 911.

The manager came back to the firearms department and informed the group that we were closed, the registers had already been pulled, and that they were welcome to come back the next day. The group exchanged a few quick glances between each other and decided to leave. As they were leaving the back of the store, each member went a different direction. This made it impossible for us to watch them. I assume that they were shoplifting whatever they could get their hands on since we had disrupted their plans. The front door was unlocked and they all left in their rental car.

It was a terrifying feeling to be so vulnerable, but I believe that I handled the situation to the best of my ability. I am positive that our proactive actions made them think that robbing us would be harder and slower than planned. Do you think we were almost robbed?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Certainly sounds suspicious for sure. I will say that if they were really intent on the armed robbery, they would have forced the issue since they had you out numbered and also now had the keys (manager). They may have been "noob's" and weren't quite sure if they really wanted to do it or not, and because it wasn't easy they didn't go through with it. They may have just be casing the place too and it was a dry run.

What is store policy on carrying a personal weapon? Not that you could have taken them all on, but seems like if I were you I'd want to be armed in case one or two of them come back and try the stunt again.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    What is store policy on carrying a personal weapon? Not that you could have taken them all on, but seems like if I were you I'd want to be armed in case one or two of them come back and try the stunt again.

It is against store policy for employees to carry guns. I will not comment on whether I carry a gun, although numerous employees take the "if they don't see it, it doesn't hurt them" approach. A comment was made that evening that if you ever need a gun, a job should be the least of your concerns.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah very suspicious.Glad nothing bad happened.
    They could try to come back later, and maybe a bit sooner this time.So be ready.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm sure they were College honor students just being misjudged by their hip hop or "gangster" dress choice because they are most likely style aficionados as well. I'm sure they all hold great jobs and could buy anything in your store and had done days worth of painstaking research in order to procure only the best firearms products for weekend trips to the range or backyard BBQ's in their parents upscale neighborhood.

na, strike all that. Yep they were gonna jack you! If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck ........
    I'd rather profile all day long and be wrong than to not do it and be blindsided. But I watch body language first and the other stuff is just puzzle pieces used to form my opinion. You did good! Probably kept one of them little girls for being raped too.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    sounds like you were about to get robbed. Well played, but I would have called the police anyway. Were they not notified due to concerns over perceived racism arguments? If it did go bad, everyone would have asked why the police were not called when everything else was initiated. Glad you guys are OK. It's possible they will just come back 15 minutes earlier next time though.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    sounds like you were about to get robbed. Well played, but I would have called the police anyway. Were they not notified due to concerns over perceived racism arguments? If it did go bad, everyone would have asked why the police were not called when everything else was initiated. Glad you guys are OK. It's possible they will just come back 15 minutes earlier next time though.
    The gangster guys didn't do anything wrong, they were just being suspicious. I wouldn't look good for us to call the cops and then be called "racists."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree. Robbery was likely. The telling factor is how they left. When was the last time you left a store as a group by breaking up wholesale? Sure, one or two guys saying "hey, I'll catch y'all outside. I wanna check out X over here." But ALL of them left via a scatter method? That tipped their hand IMHO.

If I were the manager I'd archive last night's DVR footage, and possibly file a "heads-up" report with law enforcement. Odds are your store isnt the only one being hit by this gang. Might at least get you guys a cruiser that hangs nearby for a while near closing hours.

Just dont do what I did 20 years ago... long story short I intercepted a kid running out the door in a new pair of air jordans at the Dunham's at 38th and High School. ( I was near the front doors as I heard the "hey! STOP!!! from shoes and started running toward the front doors myself.) Running behind him I was close enough to not have to touch the doors as he blasted them open. about 10 feet after I made the 90 on the sidewalk he swiveled back and pointed a .380 at me and yelled "get back! Get back!". I immediately sidestepped behind a brick column in order to take cover. I was only about 15' from him. Not a good night.

After that night store policy was only one AJ on your feet at a time. Left foot felt OK but you werent sure about the right? You had to swap shoes with the sales guy. They liked to try them on and as soon as they were laced they would take off in a full sprint.

Good job keeping your cool and not opening all the barn doors for the "horses" to get out.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I hear you on the perception, but you can call and ask for a drive by check of your building. Ask them to pop in. The last thing you need is fear of reprisal for alerting to police to imminent danger. Would you have called if a different race was acting the same way? If so then you already treated them different based on race.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I hear you on the perception, but you can call and ask for a drive by check of your building. Ask them to pop in. The last thing you need is fear of reprisal for alerting to police to imminent danger. Would you have called if a different race was acting the same way? If so then you already treated them different based on race.

:+1:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Sounds like they intended to run off with their hands full of the most expensive weapons and accessories in stock, and were prepared to use their own weapons in order to aid in their escape if necessary.

I think you handled that exactly right, except you probably should've called police (in hindsight, based on how you obviously feel now). We all normally wouldn't call the police just because someone is carrying a gun, but when you have a group of young men dressed in street garb coming in at closing time with guns sticking out the back of their jeans, and such, then that merits extreme caution. Sometimes it is appropriate to play the MWAG card.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I work at a small smoke shop, and I HATE it when we get a big group of kids like that in, and they all disperse to different locations in the store. Drives me nuts.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't know if you were gonna get robbed that night... but your closing procedures, the layout & exits, and number of employees at closing time have definitely been cased.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They like to travel in packs. One on one they get there little criminal asses kicked. I agree with Kirk. Keep your eyes wide open and 911 on speed dial for a while.
    As far as chasing after them if they run with merchandise like the guy with the Jordan's ...... **** that! Let them have em! That big store has insurance.

Top Bottom