Went to the gun show today with 1,000 in cash...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Went to the CP gun show today with $1,000 cash....

Left the gun show with $1,000 in cash.

It was packed and it sucked. As everyone whop frequents the show knows, there are always the price gougers at every show. They were, of course there and had jacked their insanely high prices even higher. For example the old crotchety guy who has all the ammo on the left center when you first walk in.

Some new dealers were there, one of my favorites, J&M, were not however. If you were looking for handguns, you could find some normal prices, but basically all rifles were outrageous. I saw a Vector Uzi for 1600! All I can say is W-T-F!?!?!?!?

Even the ammo cans were over priced, lol.

This is the first show in years I can recall not spending a few hundred dollars. Usually there is something, even via private seller.

On the way home I went to blythes in Griffith and instantly remembered why I don't buy from them. They would have fit right in at the gun show.

So now it's off to gunbroker and our for sale forum.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    anything in particular that you are looking for?

Not really, I'd been on a buying spree since mcAmnesty and barry won the primaries.

I make impulse buys when I don't go in search of anything in particular. Like when I bought my GSG5. Saw it and brought it home.

Today there was little that caught my eye and the couple items that did were way over priced. I also looked at prices in general to get a feel and saw things like the vector, or the 1200 romanian PSL ect. ect. How about the VZ61 scorpion that was marked at 799 that I can buy from SOG for $549.

I did spy 3 Saiga 12's on the ZX table but didn't even make an offer. 699 each. Even if I got him to come off 75 bucks (going rate on GB), it would have been too much IMO for a Saiga. I don't want one that bad. Maybe if mags were cheaper, but havign zero mags... I'm not dropping 1,000 bucks on a saiga and 4 12 round magazines. Screw that.

FWIW Considering the crowd I didn't see nearly as many NICS checks being done or guns going out the door as at the last 2 shows. I think the panic buyers are either dwindling or have done some price checking.

In any event, unless you wanted an XDM (already have one) the show pretty much sucked.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I was gonna go, but I had to help a friend who basically trashed his whole computer. I'm not so worried about missing it now lol.:D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I too have passed on the last couple of shows. After a while when you look at the overpriced ammo and rifles, there is just so much you can put up with. You just have to laugh, and walk out, money still in pocket.

There are still a few sellers on the net worth ordering from, but even their deals are getting to not be deals.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    I've been going to the CP shows for at least 15 yrs.. They sure ain't what they used to be, but what is. I went to the CP show last Dec. and there were more people there than I've ever seen before. My intention was to go to the show yesterday. Then I figured with the warmer weather and the current gun buying frenzy, the place would be packed. I usually bring stuff to trade, and work with about three dealers I know. I took a look at my available cash, and my dread of crowds, and decided to stay home. When you shop at Blythes take a look at the number of employees there. Your gun dollars are paying their salaries. I wish the Shema's well in their retirement but I sure miss their store. I prefer to buy/trade at shows but the crowds are nuts. A LOT of the new gun buyers there have no idea how bad they're getting screwed.

Last edited:

dlkcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Carmel
    Kokomo show last weeken

Probably more people at the show than any other function in town. New collector looking for Colt wheel guns and Rugers. Not much to pick from for reasonable $$$.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    When you shop at Blythes take a look at the number of employees there. Your gun dollars are paying their salaries.

Look at a shop like Midwest Gun Exchange. Prices are 10-20% lower and they have even more employees.

Bylthes prefers to sell fewer guns at higher prices and a place like Midwest sells more guns at lower prices. Midwest keeps growing, making improvements and growing their inventory. Blythes is the same place it was 7 years ago and their stock is the same as well.

I've bought one gun from blythes (when I first moved here 7 years ago). Between my wife and I, we've bought dozens from Midwest. Guess whose made more of a profit off of us? Blythes is 10 minutes from my house. Midwest is 75 minutes. I guess I should be glad, otherwise I'd be broke if I lived 10 minutes away from a place like Midwest, ZX or j&m. :laugh:

Local dealers here suck. All of them. Chuck with CNI was ok and I only went into sheemas once and he was a prick. Must have caught him on a bad day as many ppl here really liked him. Had INGO been around I might have given Sheema another chance. As it was I only had the once experience and it wasn't pleasant. With Chuck closed there isn't a decent shop for 75 minutes from the Hammond/Highland area. Even when Chuck was open, you had to be in the mood to deal with him anyway, lol. Shame what happened though. My heart goes out to him and his family.

slamer283

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Castle
    that really bites man. i no how you feel. rifle prices are going up big time. i dont seem to no why. im surpirzed they did not try to work with you when you had 1 grand to spend. sorry for the mishap=[

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I sure hope you caught Sheema on a bad day because to call him a prick is to show that you don't know him. He wasn't overly out going like some folks, but he is nice and kathy is nicer. They actually had things that shooters wanted. This isn't an attack on you Prometheus, just saying that your experience with Jim wasn't representative, but you already admitted that.

FWIW, the new Westforths in interesting. Prices weren't amazing but I think they were better than Blythes (snicker). Give them a shot. The people there were much nicer than when I was in there 6 years ago.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    FWIW, the new Westforths in interesting. Prices weren't amazing but I think they were better than Blythes (snicker). Give them a shot. The people there were much nicer than when I was in there 6 years ago.

Haven't been in westforths in a couple years. Wasn't impressed by anything there and the clientele was less than desirable. At the time they had a $25 transfer as it turns they raised the price the next week and I never went back. Did my one and only transfer thru Deb's for 50 bucks because of that. I did get to go and shoot when I picked up my gun but be it 50 or 40 with free range time it's too much and I've never been back for anything other than the occasionaly range trip during the winter.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Jim Shema and his wife are really good people. Keep in mind they worked at that business 6 days a week for 27 years. A lot of morons come into a gun shop X 27 years. Also a dangerous business that keeps you on your toes all the time. Two years or so before they closed the doors a punk attempted a robbery at the store and Jim put a .40 in the guys chest before the jerk could finish his robbery intro speech. I'm sure that influenced the retirement decision. What happened to Chuck?

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    I was bored this morning so I went to the show in C.P.. The place was packed, but venders told me yesterday you couldn't walk down the isles because of the crowd. I almost popped for a 16" Bushmaster for $950. I got a hold of myself though, my AR days are over. My 20" model 12 riot gun is my AW. I took a liking to a S&W 65 3" but it was gone when I went back for it. Sold some stuff and I think I'll buy a T.V. with some of the money.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Jim Shema and his wife are really good people. Keep in mind they worked at that business 6 days a week for 27 years. A lot of morons come into a gun shop X 27 years. Also a dangerous business that keeps you on your toes all the time. Two years or so before they closed the doors a punk attempted a robbery at the store and Jim put a .40 in the guys chest before the jerk could finish his robbery intro speech.I'm sure that influenced the retirement decision.
    I was in there before that happened. Like I said, only went in once, guy was a prick and I left. Probably just having a bad day as everyone here seems to love him. If he was still in business I'd give him another shot. I view the owner being a prick much more dimly than some lackey employee which is why I never went back. In any event, if he was a good as some of you say, that "bad day" cost him thousands of dollars.

What happened to Chuck?
    A death in the family. Beyond that it's rather personal.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Look at a shop like Midwest Gun Exchange. Prices are 10-20% lower and they have even more employees.

Bylthes prefers to sell fewer guns at higher prices and a place like Midwest sells more guns at lower prices. Midwest keeps growing, making improvements and growing their inventory. Blythes is the same place it was 7 years ago and their stock is the same as well.

I've bought one gun from blythes (when I first moved here 7 years ago). Between my wife and I, we've bought dozens from Midwest. Guess whose made more of a profit off of us? Blythes is 10 minutes from my house. Midwest is 75 minutes. I guess I should be glad, otherwise I'd be broke if I lived 10 minutes away from a place like Midwest, ZX or j&m. :laugh:

Local dealers here suck. All of them.

I agree about the dealers around here, another thing is lack of shooting ranges. I would love to open up my own store/range, but the upfront costs are just way too high. :n00b:

If I had the money I would make an attempt. I have some experience, by "I" I mean my grandmother. She ran a successful restaurant and bar for 25+ years. Maybe you know of it, Flamingo Pizza? Its still open in Miller but under a different owner. :40oz:

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    i went it sucked lol my anxiety disorder kicked in and i wanted to cry with the crowd... bought two +2 base plates 200rnds of ammo and a holster... only thing i didn't feel cheated on was the holster from the American Made holster korean looking dude haha... wish i would of brought my G17 it would have been one of the only glocks at the show and i could of got my RIA 1911 ive been eyeing :( ugh why didn't i think more..

-zack-

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    was that the flamingo on 5th ave. or the one on broadway . its been years since i had a flamingo pizza.

My Grandmother's Mother owned the one on Broadway, and her Uncle owned the one on 5th.

My Grandmother owned two actually, one was on Rt.6 in Portage, and the other was on Locust St. in Miller.

Top Bottom