Went shooting with a couple local LEOs tonight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    are you meaning ill get used to switching to my left eye accordingly?

when i shot i didn't even realize it till after the fact.
    No.
    You should aim with your dominant eye when shooting a handgun no matter which hand holds the gun.
    You'll learn to compensate for shooting "cross eyed". ;)
    Practice dry firing with your off hand and remember to squeeze the trigger straight back each time.
    Don't push, or pull it.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    No.
    You should aim with your dominant eye when shooting a handgun no matter which hand holds the gun.
    You'll learn to compensate for shooting "cross eyed". ;)
    Practice dry firing with your off hand and remember to squeeze the trigger straight back each time.
    Don't push, or pull it.

ahhh gotcha. so ill just chalk those flyers up to not being used to shooting lefty. :rockwoot:

thanks for the help :yesway:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Just remember, there's no such thing as too much practice.

for sure. i feel pretty deprived actually. i shot this with my carry gun, but in all i think ive shot less than 600 through it. i know i need to shoot shoot shoot, especially with my EDC. unfortunately work and school schedule gets a little tough. also only being 19 years old limits me on when i can go to ranges cause i need someone to accompany me.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    for sure. i feel pretty deprived actually. i shot this with my carry gun, but in all i think ive shot less than 600 through it. i know i need to shoot shoot shoot, especially with my EDC. unfortunately work and school schedule gets a little tough. also only being 19 years old limits me on when i can go to ranges cause i need someone to accompany me.
    Dry fire practice is your friend!
    And cheap too. :D

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    wasn't my first time. first time running this string yes.first time left handed as well. but then again i do only have about 500 rounds through my glock so im still fairly new.

if i counted right its 229. so im right there. just need more left handed practice.

i think i found out what was wrong though. i think when i switched to left hand with support i still aimed with my right eye so it was kinda crossing over which sent em to the left.

i don't want to sound cocky but i think if i did it again after i realized this they would all be in the 5 area. or atleast right on the edge since only a few were in the 4 area anyway.

Heres a shooting tip I learned in a class at ACT. When shooting support hand only cant the pistol slightly to the right around 45 degrees. Its more of what feels comfertable of angle then an exact position. Any the cant helps bring the sights inline with your shooting eye better and helps a bit with recoil. It makes a big difference. Did for me anyway.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Heres a shooting tip I learned in a class at ACT. When shooting support hand only cant the pistol slightly to the right around 45 degrees. Its more of what feels comfertable of angle then an exact position. Any the cant helps bring the sights inline with your shooting eye better and helps a bit with recoil. It makes a big difference. Did for me anyway.

hmmm that does make more sense. i wasnt aware that you were supposed to shoot dominant eye no matter which hand before i shot this string. it didn't make sense to me cause it seemed like it would push the shots left. but i guess i didnt think of aligning it differently.
    makes sense now.

thanks for that one!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    let me know what you guys think!

i think it turned out pretty good. the training officer told me i would have qualified.

Thats a very good target, especially if you have never shot the course before. Anyone can shoot standing up with both hands on the gun, it takes a bit more skill to shoot one handed/kneeling/off-hand etc.

Good shooting..... did you outshoot the LEO's ?????

This is the most important question that will ever be posted in this thead.

And more talk from the peanut gallery about how LEOs can't shoot. I offered it up a while back to an INGO member that repeatedly made statements about the lack of training and supposedly poor shooting abilities of LEOs, and now I'll offer it again. Anyone that wants to put their money where their mouth is and have a friendly competition, let me know. Or you can just talk smack on the interwebs...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thats a very good target, especially if you have never shot the course before. Anyone can shoot standing up with both hands on the gun, it takes a bit more skill to shoot one handed/kneeling/off-hand etc.

And more talk from the peanut gallery about how LEOs can't shoot. I offered it up a while back to an INGO member that repeatedly made statements about the lack of training and supposedly poor shooting abilities of LEOs, and now I'll offer it again. Anyone that wants to put their money where their mouth is and have a friendly competition, let me know. Or you can just talk smack on the interwebs...

I'll take you up on this! Just let me get a years practice in first!

Flyfishtrip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Westfield

I agree with Subtlesixer. Also try turning your body about 90 degrees to the right so your body absorbs more recoil.

Top Bottom